RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 445
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grsde "The Crimson Horror"
Geronimo! 52 43.70%
Good 40 33.61%
Average 16 13.45%
Bad 8 6.72%
…You just cannot see it 3 2.52%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5 2013, 03:22 PM   #91
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: 7X11 The Crimson Horror(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS

StCoop wrote: View Post
It's either that or people are no longer interested in buying what Moffat is selling.
Or people are just not as interested in watching Doctor Who since it's been on for quite awhile now.
Old May 5 2013, 03:32 PM   #92
Mad Jack Wolfe
Lieutenant Commander

Loved the episode! A fun, highly enjoyable outing. Seeing Diana Rigg again was a real treat, too.
Old May 5 2013, 03:50 PM   #93
SeerSGB
Admiral

I couldn't have been the only one that was thinking Mr. Sweet was going to turn out to be the Great Intelligence again? I'm glad it wasn't, still I was expecting it.

Eliczo wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
G1 Galvatron toy on the kitchen counter, in 2013? E-bay that sucker.
Was it really? I saw it and thought it was Galvatron but didn't get a good look. Nice.
Yeppers.

Old May 5 2013, 04:30 PM   #94
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Very nice show, though I thought the last ten minutes were a little bit too frantic and haphazard, as if Gatiss hadn't had enough time to plug all the holes properly. Still, outstanding performance from Diane Diana.

I hope the new kids stick around.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
If you want simplistic shit then Star Trek Into Darkness is just round the corner y'know?
Simplistic shit is always closer than we'd like.

If the series was being run by someone who was't asleep at the wheel it would have been cut after the first draft.
Because? What was wrong with that joke?
Old May 5 2013, 04:58 PM   #95
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I liked it

And it it's nice that Clara doesn't know that there is something weird about her, I like the fact she's just an ordinary person, so to speak, and found it odd there was a Victorian picture of her, I like where this is going

Not a terrible episode, pretty much run of the mill, and what we'd expect for typical Doctor Who episode

Someone above was right, this season is a lot of ups and downs, very inconsistent

Next week looks good, I like it when they have several companions

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 05:14 PM   #96
Alidar Jarok

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Very nice show, though I thought the last ten minutes were a little bit too frantic and haphazard, as if Gatiss hadn't had enough time to plug all the holes properly.
Actually, I've found the episodes this half of the season to be much better paced when it comes to a solution that the last half (particularly The Power of Three).
Old May 5 2013, 05:20 PM   #97
StCoop
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
What was wrong with that joke?
Because it takes you out of the interal "reality" of the series and into a scene that would be more suited to an episode of 'League Of Gentlemen'.

As DW fans we're used to handwaving all sorts of dodgy science and plot points in order to have the episodes make some kind of sense. But there's no internally logical way of explaining why a 19th Century urchin is talking like a 21st Century SatNav. It's a comedy sketch joke, though thankfully less offensive than the Sonic Screwdriver getting an erection was. (At least a blow-job dispensing Paving Slab made some sense.)
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 05:25 PM   #98
davejames
Vice Admiral

While I loved the twist regarding the "monster", and got a huge kick out of the old-timey flashback with the Doctor and Clara, I have to admit the rest of the episode just... didn't really do much for me (at least on a first viewing).

The story just felt overly-familiar-- it's yet another community where "all is not as it seems", where there's yet another mad, alien-controlled leader, and where once again people are mysteriously disappearing and/or being experimented on.

And while the Vastra/Jenny/Strax combo was fun to see once, I'm not sure they're really interesting enough to keep revisiting. There's only so many times you can keep hitting the same notes with those characters.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 05:46 PM   #99
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Meh. It's another one of those "just sort of there" crap episodes.

An uninteresting story (I fell asleep trying to watch it... twice), unfunny moments (fainting guy, Thomas Thomas, just about anything with Strax) shoehorned in, and over zealous Gold music that doesn't fit.
Old May 5 2013, 05:47 PM   #100
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
It's either that or people are no longer interested in buying what Moffat is selling.
Or people are just not as interested in watching Doctor Who since it's been on for quite awhile now.
Speaking personally I can't warm to Clara at all. This means I don't actually bother if I miss an episode and that's me being a huge fan of Matt Smith's Doctor.
Old May 5 2013, 05:57 PM   #101
StCoop
Commodore

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Speaking personally I can't warm to Clara at all. This means I don't actually bother if I miss an episode and that's me being a huge fan of Matt Smith's Doctor.
I like JLC a lot more than I ever liked Karen Gillan but it's hard to deny that Clara is getting only a fraction of the character development that Amy did.

She's got the usual one-liners that all of Moffat's female characters get and her main traits seem to be that unlike most Companions she actually listens to what the Doctor tells her and isn't unrealistically brave. And that's about it, really.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 06:17 PM   #102
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Oooof. This was bad. I don't care for the scooby doo gang, and even though I love Doctor Who I was almost to the point of turning it off until The Doctor showed up. Then I hung in but it was still as uninteresting and unfunny as the beginning...just with the Doctor.

The Tom Tom joke? Uh, ok. Ha?

Strax being Strax? Completely over it.

This ep basically boiled down to "hey a random creature made a person evil. The Doctor stopped her." We've seen that a million times before, and it can be good but when you add in the awful "comedy" and focus on the scooby doo gang...it's not for me.

So far this season, I would say I enjoyed Hide, but I can't even remember what it was about. The sub one was eh, and the Dalek one was the last one I remember liking, but that was forever and a companion ago.

Moffat needs to go asap. And I don't think Gatis is the answer at all.

Did enjoy the flashback immensely however.

Last edited by Chess Piece Face; May 5 2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: edited to add...forgot about the old timey flashback
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 06:29 PM   #103
Alidar Jarok

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Well, he's still the star, so I don't quite get that.
Old May 5 2013, 06:31 PM   #104
throwback
Captain

Well, at least one thing that Doctor Who and the new Star Trek have in common is weird science.

In this episode, we learn that the trio discovered the whereabouts of the Doctor after developing an image which revealed a mirror image of him on the iris of a deceased man. This is bogus science, but I don't question it because this is Doctor Who, and weird science is an essential element of the series.

However, Star Trek has operated on, in my opinion, firmer science than that. Occasionally, it will dip into weird science, sometimes with hilarious ineptitude ("Threshold"). I can take simple scripts, if they are done well. "The Trouble with Tribbles" is a simple script, yet it is a wonderful story.

However, the rebooted Star Trek has overturned the apple cart, so to speak, and we get this gem -

Spoiler Alert
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 06:43 PM   #105
ATimson
Rear Admiral

captain crow wrote: View Post
An uninteresting story (I fell asleep trying to watch it... twice), unfunny moments (fainting guy, Thomas Thomas, just about anything with Strax) shoehorned in, and over zealous Gold music that doesn't fit.
My impression from the music was that it was all tracked from prior episodes - I don't think Gold wrote new music for the episode.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote