Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 5 2013, 09:56 AM   #31
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

Re: Is everything before the destruction of the kelvin exactly the sam

Star Trek generally depicts a timeline whose past is in flux; a time-traveller alters the past but due to a technobabble explanation usually relating to chronotons (or chromatons?) the time-traveller's past and memories have some level of immunity to the changes. We see this in DS9 (eg Past Tense) and of course in the movie First Contact, where the 24th-century Earth becomes borgified from the past but the Enterprise is unaffected due to being caught in the time machine's backwash. So there could have been any number of changes to the past, just ones that we haven't seen. And if you apply the "time is in flux" view to the Abramsverse then the timeline's past prior to Nero's arrival would presumably have been affected too, as future-to-past journeys originating after that would be affected.

But time-travel fiction rarely makes sense or is consistent, and I guess the rule for Trek time-travel limitations is the same for the rule regarding the Enterprise's speed limitations: They're whatever the current writer needs them to be.

Anyway, if you prefer the Prime Timeline to be immutable then you can adduce as evidence the fact that Futurespock's ship uses stardates in the Abramscerse format and not the established xxxxx.xx format.
Old May 5 2013, 11:20 AM   #32
Oso Blanco
Commodore

DonIago wrote: View Post
FTFY.
What?
Old May 5 2013, 11:29 AM   #33
F. King Daniel
Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, the novels are the true continuation of the Prime universe, and the writers have already said on numerous occasions that when their timeline reaches 2387 (they're presently around 2384), Romulus is being destroyed and Spock is vanishing into a black hole never to be seen again.

I have no problem with enourmous ships like the Kelvin preceeding the TOS Enterprise. Simply put, in the Prime universe, Starfleet shrunk their front line ships wheras in the AU they didn't. I suggest different leadership in Starfleet - perhaps Admiral Nogura likes Voyager-scale ships wheras Admiral Marcus (or their predecessors) favoured large vessels equivalent in size to the Enterprise-D. Like the E-D and Voyager, both have the same capabilities.

And as for the way things look, it's not more advanced in-universe, it just looks that way because it's 2013 not 1967.

OsoBlanco wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
FTFY.
What?
Stands for Fixed That For You. Took me ages to figure it out ages ago.

Last edited by F. King Daniel; May 5 2013 at 04:06 PM.
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:33 PM   #34
lau03143
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd have thought everything upto the point that Nero appeared was the same, at that point the timeline changes.
Old May 5 2013, 02:48 PM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CorporalCaptain is right about pretty much everything here.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 03:53 PM   #36
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Before the destruction of the Kelvin?

There were 5 television series produced and 10 feature films. Plus an animated series. All of various degrees of qualities and consistency. Which all of us will continue to watch and debate until we elderly, decades after this stuff was made! So nothing has changed. Now 2 new movies have been added to this group. Likely with more films and television to follow at some point.

All while CBS and Paramount continues to rake in the money from us. Once again nothing has changed.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 04:04 PM   #37
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I think they've made an effort to keep their reboot largely consistant with the old - enough so that one can accept their story of a divergeant timeline if they so choose. Which I do

After all, TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY are all supposed to be part of the same universe, and yet they're packed with innumerable contradictions and rewrites an whatnot. According to TOS, Voyager should have made their 75 year journey home in a month at most. DS9's wormhole premise is similarly buggered. Yet they all cross-over at one point or another. Is this really any different?
Old May 5 2013, 04:32 PM   #38
sariel2005
Lieutenant

Seems to me that the Temporal shenanigans in Enterprise would have caused considerable changes to the timeline, and that is on top of the alterations caused by First Contact.
Off the top of my head, the Klingons were encountered early ( though it would appear that contact would have been made by 2154 anyway). A different Doctor was assigned to the Enterprise ( with potentially grave repercussions for at least one species). Arguably T'pol would not have been part of the crew.
And those are fairly cosmetic changes, the Suliban were advanced by a future agent, and Enterprise got its hands on some of that technology. The Earth was attacked by the Xindi, and Enterprise entered the expanse, gaining knowledge of Tech it would not have hitherto seen. Its almost certain this would have made Earth a bit more militaristic which would alter ship design and uniforms etc.
Additionally, since Trek shows a number of stable timeloops, its entirely possible that THOSE are affected meaning that Nero's arrival itself could impact on events prior to 2233 ( wibbly,wobbly, timey,wimey you might say )

So in summation, no everything was not necessarily the same before the Kelvins destruction, but that does not necessarily mean it is not the prime universe.
sariel2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 04:36 PM   #39
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Let's not get carried away here. Spock and Nero time-traveled from their era to their past.
One of the problem I had with the movie is, Nero travel backward, arrived in his own past, and created a alternate timeline.

Spock traveled backwards and didn't arrive in his own past, he arrived in the alternate timeline.

Shouldn't Spock have arrived, when he did arrive, in the past of his own timeline? It seem to me that he should have.

Wereghost wrote: View Post
... the movie First Contact, where the 24th-century Earth becomes borgified from the past but the Enterprise is unaffected due to being caught in the time machine's backwash. So there could have been any number of changes to the past, just ones that we haven't seen.
Prior to the Enterprise destroying the Borg sphere in the past, the Borg fired on the surface of Earth, killing and injuring people. Many of the people killed were people who worked on the warp ship.

These people would (obviously) do no more work on the warp project, and have no future children. I assume that Lily was one of the three people aboard the warp ship when it made it's first flight, that both Riker and LaForge were on the flight means (imo) that the person who originally was the third crewmember was killed (or injured), otherwise they would have been in the position that they were trained for. With only Lily having to be replaced.

Removing that many people from the on-going timeline, several of them talented warp designers and engineers, had to have had some effect on the future.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 04:37 PM   #40
Gojira
Commodore

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post
Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
'09 Old Spock is the same Spock we first met in 'The Cage.' What he mistook for mere time travel via Nero's red matter was in fact them crossing universes - from the Prime Universe over to the Abramsverse 150-something years in the past.
+

I agree with you but the movie is as clear as mudd about that. Young Kirk and young Spock et al. sure do think that Old Spock and Nero are from their future. But they're not.
Let's not get carried away here. Spock and Nero time-traveled from their era to their past. The timelines diverged because of their incursion. Whether there are parallel timelines is irrelevant. They can no more travel to "their" proper past than you can travel to the universe in which you turned right when instead you turned left.
I don't mind that explanation its just that the movie never tells you that the times lines diverged because of their incursion...you have to take the writers word after the fact.
Old May 5 2013, 05:58 PM   #41
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Prior to the Enterprise destroying the Borg sphere in the past, the Borg fired on the surface of Earth, killing and injuring people. Many of the people killed were people who worked on the warp ship.

These people would (obviously) do no more work on the warp project, and have no future children. I assume that Lily was one of the three people aboard the warp ship when it made it's first flight, that both Riker and LaForge were on the flight means (imo) that the person who originally was the third crewmember was killed (or injured), otherwise they would have been in the position that they were trained for. With only Lily having to be replaced.

Removing that many people from the on-going timeline, several of them talented warp designers and engineers, had to have had some effect on the future.

I'm sticking with the position that this is a predestination paradox. The Enterprise-E (and the Borg) were always part of those past events. There was never a timeline where they were not. So no matter how many people on 2063 Earth were killed by the Borg, they were always killed. There wasn't an "original" timeline where they survived. And thus the Phoenix was always crewed by Cochrane, Riker and LaForge. You can't prove this wasn't the case, after all...

And since they returned to the same future they left, it would seem to support this opinion.
Old May 5 2013, 06:45 PM   #42
throwback
Captain

Apparently not. Up to the new Star Trek,
This ability was not mentioned before now, but every other aspect, save for one, of them was. That one was sexual performance. As a superhuman, was Khan truly better in bed than Kirk? It was never explored. Regardless, this would place the divergence taking place over 300 years before Star Trek.

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 5 2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spoiler tagged
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 06:52 PM   #43
Nightowl1701
Captain

[VOICE=George Takei] Oh myyyyy...[/VOICE]

We're really gonna get into that subject? That's a whole 'nother topic for a whole 'nother message board. Good luck finding a woman who's, er...sampled both and could tell you.

Oh, and - you might to throw a SPOILER TAG on that post, throwback.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 06:52 PM   #44
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And since they returned to the same future they left, it would seem to support this opinion.
We have no way of knowing this.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 07:15 PM   #45
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ It sure seems so. Prove it's not.