Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grsde "The Crimson Horror"
Geronimo! 52 43.70%
Good 40 33.61%
Average 16 13.45%
Bad 8 6.72%
…You just cannot see it 3 2.52%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5 2013, 11:57 AM   #76
Australis
Writer

Re: 7X11 The Crimson Horror(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS

Maybe a one-off season of 6 eps would be good though.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:00 PM   #77
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:44 PM   #78
Neroon
Mod of balance

Australis wrote: View Post
Seeing Diana Rigg and Rebecca Stirling acting their chops off against one another was one of the best parts for me. I've loved those two in anything I've seen them in, to see them together... marvellous.
I'm glad someone else mentioned this, because it seemed to me a wonderful bit of casting - to have mother and daughter play ... mother and daughter!

Saul wrote: View Post
No, this wasn't good.
As has been said to others, please take the time to explain why you feel this way. As you've seen, a simple all-too-brief comment like this can cause more grief than we need.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:23 PM   #79
Eliczo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I liked it, felt that it wasnt too complicated. Good acting in all involved, liked Madam Vestra and her gang's involvemen, but as for the end while having clara appear in old photos is a good idea, I found kids a bit annoying, will have to see how the next episode plays.
Eliczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:36 PM   #80
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Fun little episode. Not perfect, but it hit all the right notes. The Doctor and Clara--what little they were together--clicked pretty good. I was half expecting Vastra to smack the Doctor for kissing Jenny.

G1 Galvatron toy on the kitchen counter, in 2013? E-bay that sucker.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:37 PM   #81
Mr Light
Admiral

Can someone explain the Tom Tom / Thomas Thomas reference to me...?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:45 PM   #82
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Starkers wrote: View Post
The other slight downside to this episode is that it does show the limitations of the notion of a Vastra/Jenny/Strax show, because you really only have one of the three who can really travel openly (although people just assume Strax is some foreigner obviously )
Oh, there are a number of ways to deal with that. Vastra in a veil would get her out into the action. Or you develop a larger supporting cast -- the "Paternoster Row Irregulars," maybe.

Starkers wrote: View Post
I'd still love to see a spin off show though, I just don't think it could sustain 13 episode runs...
For that matter, who would run the series? Moffat doesn't have the time, I'm not even sure that Gatiss has the time.

From a fannish perspective, I can think of a half-dozen things that could be done with the concept. For instance, is the Torchwood of the era aware of Madame Vastra's activities? Does the Captain Jack of that era ever cross paths with the Paternoster Gang? (If you want to get really fannish, there's an amnesiac eighth Doctor living in that era, too.)

The problem is, once I get through the fannish ideas, what I'm left with is Sherlock Holmes or Sexton Blake but with different characters, and my interest in the idea flags somewhat. That's down to the characters themselves; I like them, but I like them as supporting characters, though I will say that Justin Richards did good work in making them stand alone in The Devil in the Smoke.

Beyond that, I think the BBC would have hard questions for Madame Vastra Investigates. How does this enhance the Doctor Who brand? How does this fit with the rest of the BBC? How does this appeal to the mainstream audience? For that matter, who is this series' audience?

Ironically, for a period piece, I think it could be done fairly economically. For one thing, it could be filmed in Dublin on Ripper Street's sets; the backlot exists, so why not use it? For another thing, Madame Vastra Investigates would be of more interest to BBC America than the BBC itself; it's something niche that they could pitch at their "Supernatural Saturday" audience, so they might be willing to go in on a coproduction deal. (Though, honestly, they would much rather go in as coproducers on the mothership.)

To sum it up, I'm not opposed to a Madame Vastra Investigates spin-off. It's not my first choice for the next Doctor Who spin-off, but no one in their right mind is going to make an Abslom Daak series. But I think there are a lot of hurdles that need to be jumped before it happens. And it probably won't.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:47 PM   #83
StCoop
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
It's a SatNav joke that seems to have wandered in from a bad sketch comedy show.

If the series was being run by someone who was't asleep at the wheel it would have been cut after the first draft.
StCoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:48 PM   #84
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Tom Tom is a GPS navigator that gives turn by turn instructions and Tom is a shortening of Thomas.

Kmew there was a joke in there when watching the episode but didn't get it at the time.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:51 PM   #85
Saul
Rear Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post

Saul wrote: View Post
No, this wasn't good.
As has been said to others, please take the time to explain why you feel this way. As you've seen, a simple all-too-brief comment like this can cause more grief than we need.
Since i'm not prone to making such comments frequently I thought I could get away with that.
The last two weeks I liked this series and then today I feel it's gone backwards to something a bit kiddish (more than usual) or either it reminds me of similar episodes. I didn't feel there was anything new here. Love the character and the cast. Felt they could have done more. I didn't like it, didn't hate it. I'd rather hate it with good reason than just be "meh" but it seemed bland to me and so that's all I feel to it.
Old May 5 2013, 01:58 PM   #86
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Did anyone else take Jenny's black leather scene to be a nod to Diana Rigg's Emma Peel days?
I recall the outfit first appearing in 'The Snowmen', so it wouldn't have been created specially as a tribute to Mrs. Peel (Unless Dame Diana had already been cast for this back then). But on the other hand, I can easily imagine Moffat in a production meeting pushing the virtues of black leather. He is a cult TV fan, after all, and I'm sure he'd like a Mrs. Peel type in his show.

And after the implied oral sex reference in 'A Good Man Goes To War', here we have the Doctor see a gorgeous young woman strip off her maid's outfit to reveal the leather underneath, and his sonic screwdriver goes vertical. Hmmmm....

And was it just me, or was some of the music (near the start, before it got---once again---too loud and bombastic) deliberately reminiscent of Sherlock?
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 02:00 PM   #87
Eliczo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
G1 Galvatron toy on the kitchen counter, in 2013? E-bay that sucker.
Was it really? I saw it and thought it was Galvatron but didn't get a good look. Nice.
Eliczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 02:32 PM   #88
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Not surprised the morons are tuning out. I reckon they'll come crawling back for David Tennant and Billie Piper in the 50th though. Where hopefully it's less complicated because thinking is wrong.
Are you talking about morons on the show?
Old May 5 2013, 03:12 PM   #89
StCoop
Commodore

Deckerd wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Not surprised the morons are tuning out. I reckon they'll come crawling back for David Tennant and Billie Piper in the 50th though. Where hopefully it's less complicated because thinking is wrong.
Are you talking about morons on the show?
He seems to be implying that the current run of episodes consists of stories so staggering in the intellectual capacity required to understand them that it's driven two million viewers away.

It's either that or people are no longer interested in buying what Moffat is selling.

Take your pick.
StCoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 03:14 PM   #90
ATimson
Rear Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
It's a SatNav joke that seems to have wandered in from a bad sketch comedy show.

If the series was being run by someone who was't asleep at the wheel it would have been cut after the first draft.
Well, I was amused, at any rate.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote