RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,391
Posts: 5,358,286
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 542
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 30 2013, 08:58 AM   #136
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS
 
Emh's Avatar
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Why do I get the feeling this special is going to generate a lot of canon vs fanon debates?
Not only that, but GallifreyBase is going to have a complete meltdown.
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 09:29 PM   #137
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

I must be blind, but I could see McGann being a younger version of Eccleston's regen cycle--I can only assume that Tom Baker's version had traveled for awhile to account for the "Face of Evil."
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:36 AM   #138
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

publiusr wrote: View Post
I must be blind, but I could see McGann being a younger version of Eccleston's regen cycle
Even though McGann is older than Eccleston? Although, I suppose McGann was younger when he filmed the TV movie than Eccleston was when he filmed season 1, though not by much.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:07 PM   #139
Kai "the spy"
Commodore
 
Kai "the spy"'s Avatar
 
Location: Here.
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

So, he'd have gotten himself a northern accent in the later years?! I don't buy it. Besides, Ecclestons ears are way too big to have stayed hidden under McGann's wig.

Anyway, I don't think Eccleston's Doctor being the one of the Time War doesn't make sense, because in "Rose", when he was in Rose's apartment, he apparently sees himself in the mirror for the first time, indicating his last regeneration to have happened just before the episode started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFuWOF8wqSc
__________________
Chicks dig red trunks!

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 01:21 AM   #140
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Anyway, I don't think Eccleston's Doctor being the one of the Time War doesn't make sense, because in "Rose", when he was in Rose's apartment, he apparently sees himself in the mirror for the first time, indicating his last regeneration to have happened just before the episode started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFuWOF8wqSc
Was that line actually written or did Eccleston just ad-lib it on set? I agree that if RTD meant what he said that it was the Ninth Doctor that fought the Time War wouldn't make sense if he wrote that line. But it's possible Eccleston thought it up on the spot and it was kept in because everyone else liked it.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 01:26 AM   #141
Kelso
Vice Admiral
 
Kelso's Avatar
 
Location: On the destruct button until the last minute!
View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

I like the idea that an incarnation of the Doctor erased himself from existence when he ended the Time War.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 03:52 AM   #142
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Was that line actually written or did Eccleston just ad-lib it on set? I agree that if RTD meant what he said that it was the Ninth Doctor that fought the Time War wouldn't make sense if he wrote that line. But it's possible Eccleston thought it up on the spot and it was kept in because everyone else liked it.
Even if RTD did intend that the Ninth Doctor had fought the time war initially, it seems that by "Journey's End" he had changed his mind, given the talk about how the Ninth Doctor had been "born in battle, full of blood and anger and revenge" like 10.5.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 01:49 PM   #143
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

ATimson wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Was that line actually written or did Eccleston just ad-lib it on set? I agree that if RTD meant what he said that it was the Ninth Doctor that fought the Time War wouldn't make sense if he wrote that line. But it's possible Eccleston thought it up on the spot and it was kept in because everyone else liked it.
Even if RTD did intend that the Ninth Doctor had fought the time war initially, it seems that by "Journey's End" he had changed his mind, given the talk about how the Ninth Doctor had been "born in battle, full of blood and anger and revenge" like 10.5.
True, not to mention BBC tie-in material does suggest the Eighth Doctor was the one that fought the Time War.

Still, the question of whether the line implying a recent regeneration in Rose was actually written by RTD or ad-libbed by Eccleston is a legitimate one all the same. If for no other reason than simple curiosity.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 02:32 PM   #144
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Still, the question of whether the line implying a recent regeneration in Rose was actually written by RTD or ad-libbed by Eccleston is a legitimate one all the same. If for no other reason than simple curiosity.
Agreed. The version published in The Shooting Scripts does include the line, for what it's worth.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 03:01 PM   #145
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

I tend to lean towards Eight was the Doctor who fought the Time War, but, Eccelston seeing his face for the first time in Rose, doesn't necessarily mean he just regenerated right before meeting Rose. He was messed up with Guilt and so many other conflicting feelings, and travelling alone. The Doctor gets wrapped up in his travels and pushed from one life threatening situation to the next, under the best of circumstances, so, add in the Guilt and all the other stuff, and it's certainly possble it's been a long time since he's seen his own face. Maybe he'd been runnning from adventure to adventure for 50 years, without ever slowing down long enough to look at his own reflection.

But, again, I lean towards it was 8 that fought the Tme War, and that 9 really was born in combat (IE: The Doctor's final acts in the Time War killed 8 and resulted in his Regeneration into 9)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 02:43 AM   #146
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

My personal 'fanon' is that 'The Moment' required so much energy that, with an adequate power supply unavailable, The Doctor actually had to unleash his regeneration energy to fuel it (essentially committing suicide). Doing so 'blew the cap' on whatever normally keeps regeneration under such tight control, which is why his last couple have been so much flashier and violent than the old ones ever were.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 10:27 AM   #147
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

Venardhi wrote: View Post
My personal 'fanon' is that 'The Moment' required so much energy that, with an adequate power supply unavailable, The Doctor actually had to unleash his regeneration energy to fuel it (essentially committing suicide). Doing so 'blew the cap' on whatever normally keeps regeneration under such tight control, which is why his last couple have been so much flashier and violent than the old ones ever were.
Violent?

One tries to smash a man's head in, two was happy to blow up ships with bombs, three was happy to work for an organisation that committed genocide and five was tasty with a pistol - that's just off the top of my head.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 10:35 AM   #148
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
My personal 'fanon' is that 'The Moment' required so much energy that, with an adequate power supply unavailable, The Doctor actually had to unleash his regeneration energy to fuel it (essentially committing suicide). Doing so 'blew the cap' on whatever normally keeps regeneration under such tight control, which is why his last couple have been so much flashier and violent than the old ones ever were.
Violent?

One tries to smash a man's head in, two was happy to blow up ships with bombs, three was happy to work for an organisation that committed genocide and five was tasty with a pistol - that's just off the top of my head.
I think he's referring to regenerations. The fireworks we have now are quite destructive, unlike the old series which didn't have the flash and boom of current regenerations.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 10:50 AM   #149
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

Opps! Yes, apologies.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 11:17 AM   #150
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

I've skimmed a couple pages.

This is troubling.

This is the End of Who.

AGAIN!

Now for a real question... Did Catrin Stewart show any boob on Misfits?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.