Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 5 2013, 12:49 AM   #31
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: Saucer Separation

Timo wrote: View Post
Indeed - clearly not a weapon, and not of any value in a more conventional fight. Otherwise, Locutus would not have been confused by it!
Not quite.

Locutus wasn't confused.

Picard had been briefed on Shelby's plan to use the saucer as a distraction. So when they did separate, the Borg used Picard's knowledge and said, "Oh, the saucer is just a distraction, and we can safely ignore it, because the stardrive is a bigger threat." Riker was counting on this, which is why Data and Worf's shuttle was launched from the saucer - the Borg were ignoring it, "just as you should, captain." In this sense, it was actually the stardrive that was the distraction, making the Borg think that the Enterprise was trying to damage them or destroy them when the real goal was to kidnap Picard so the Enterprise crew could try to get Picard's knowledge of the Borg in an effort to find a weakness they could exploit.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:01 AM   #32
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Indeed - clearly not a weapon, and not of any value in a more conventional fight. Otherwise, Locutus would not have been confused by it!
Not quite.

Locutus wasn't confused.

Picard had been briefed on Shelby's plan to use the saucer as a distraction. So when they did separate, the Borg used Picard's knowledge and said, "Oh, the saucer is just a distraction, and we can safely ignore it, because the stardrive is a bigger threat." Riker was counting on this, which is why Data and Worf's shuttle was launched from the saucer - the Borg were ignoring it, "just as you should, captain." In this sense, it was actually the stardrive that was the distraction, making the Borg think that the Enterprise was trying to damage them or destroy them when the real goal was to kidnap Picard so the Enterprise crew could try to get Picard's knowledge of the Borg in an effort to find a weakness they could exploit.
I like this account, except that therefore Locutus was completely and utterly misdirected.
Old May 5 2013, 04:50 AM   #33
Mr_Homn
Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Not quite.

Locutus wasn't confused.

I like this account, except that therefore Locutus was completely and utterly misdirected.
Why is that bad? Locutus was misdirected and I think that's cool. If it had been Picard, he probably would have figured it out via intuition/gut feeling. Locutus doesn't have that. Therefore he fails.
Old May 5 2013, 04:56 AM   #34
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post

Not quite.

Locutus wasn't confused.

Why is that bad? Locutus was misdirected and I think that's cool. If it had been Picard, he probably would have figured it out via intuition/gut feeling. Locutus doesn't have that. Therefore he fails.
I never said it was bad. My point was that being misdirected is really something like being confused.
Old May 5 2013, 08:03 AM   #35
Tiberius
Commodore

Not the same as confused.

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
This isn't quite true. Picard was still alive inside Locutus, experiencing everything that happened, and the Borg were aware of everything that Picard was thinking. If Picard was able to figure it out, then the Borg would have known instantly.
Old May 5 2013, 08:16 AM   #36
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Not the same as confused.
Didn't say it was.
Old May 5 2013, 11:33 AM   #37
Timo
Admiral

Whatever Picard or Locutus knew, the fact of the matter is that he appears confused by the antimatter fireworks.

Probably no such thing was included in the original plan that Picard was aware of. Quite possibly Picard had never even considered the possibility that his ship would be capable of deploying these fireworks - it may be a Shelby-devised procedure. Whatever the specifics, the deployment of the antimatter spread makes Locutus look confused, whereas the saucer separation as such evoked no such body language.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:52 AM   #38
Tiberius
Commodore

Whatever Picard or Locutus knew, the fact of the matter is that he appears confused by the antimatter fireworks.

Probably no such thing was included in the original plan that Picard was aware of. Quite possibly Picard had never even considered the possibility that his ship would be capable of deploying these fireworks - it may be a Shelby-devised procedure. Whatever the specifics, the deployment of the antimatter spread makes Locutus look confused, whereas the saucer separation as such evoked no such body language.

Timo Saloniemi
The Collective, not Picard. Picard wasn't in control of his body at that point, so nothing that he was feeling could have produced an expression of emotion.
Old May 5 2013, 12:27 PM   #39
Timo
Admiral

Various Drones do seem to have their own types of body language in VOY - say, Seven of Nine before her separation from the Collective. We don't know of any "loss of body control" in terms of dialogue references - only of a more generic "loss of will".

But okay, the Collective was confused by the antimatter fireworks.

Timo Saloniemi
Old May 5 2013, 05:32 PM   #40
Third Nacelle
Captain

^ Well, TNG and Voyager seemed to have different ideas about the nature of the collective. In TNG the collective was one unified consciousness. In Voyager, it was "billions of voices."

In either case, Locutus reffered to himself as "I," which suggests to me his relationship with the collective is different from your average drone.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 05:45 PM   #41
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
^ Well, TNG and Voyager seemed to have different ideas about the nature of the collective. In TNG the collective was one unified consciousness. In Voyager, it was "billions of voices."

In either case, Locutus reffered to himself as "I," which suggests to me his relationship with the collective is different from your average drone.
To take that idea a step further, if Locutus had a run-of-the-mill and fully integrated drone consciousness, then why was it necessary for him to overlook the battles from an area that look exactly like a designated command deck? Why not just plug into an alcove, like every other drone not currently servicing the cube?
Old May 5 2013, 06:47 PM   #42
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Doesn't that argument kind of go both ways? Which is to say, if he's fully integrated then why does it matter whether he's plugged into an alcove?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 06:51 PM   #43
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
Doesn't that argument kind of go both ways? Which is to say, if he's fully integrated then why does it matter whether he's plugged into an alcove?
You left out some of what I said.
Old May 5 2013, 06:58 PM   #44
Timo
Admiral

One might argue that the very existence of this "command deck" shows that the regular Borg have use for such a facility, and Locutus thus isn't a special case. Then again, the Borg could no doubt erect the "command deck" in three minutes just for use by Locutus, actually proving his very special status within (or adjacent to) the Collective!

Timo Saloniemi
Old May 5 2013, 07:00 PM   #45
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

No need to roll your eyes, especially since I don't see how the part I left out changes anything. Just because we see Locutus apparently watching the battle doesn't mean anything. It could be they separated him out because he was the spokesperson and the Borg figured it made more sense for him to address Our Heroes standing independently rather than plugged in. Heck, they could have even gotten the idea from Picard.

I'm not really sure where this "command deck" notion is coming from either. Yes there's a big viewscreen thing in the middle(?) of the cube, but any other Borg could see it as easily as Locutus, and otherwise the section of the cube Locutus was in, IMO, looked essentially identical to any other area overlooking that space. Hell, the viewscreen itself seems to be more dramatic license than anything else. Why do the Borg need a viewscreen?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote