Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate Iron Man 3
Excellent 72 45.86%
Above Average 61 38.85%
Average 16 10.19%
Below Average 4 2.55%
Poor 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5 2013, 01:55 AM   #76
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

I'd rate it the lowest of the three films, but still a good flick. The barrel of monkeys rescue was the best part. I enjoyed Bruce Banner as well. All the villians were pretty hollow and uninteresting though.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 02:59 AM   #77
JD
Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
So...

...anybody else cheer when "The Most Beautiful Woman in the World" () fell into the lake of fire?
No.

Being over 40 myself, Gwyneth is the sexiest thing on two legs.
I'm 43. What's age got to do with anything?

But since you brought it up, I can name a bunch of actresses over forty that are sexier.

The portrayal of her in the IM movies does nothing but emphasize this. She is competent, they have a relationship that is serious and amazing, considering what having billions of dollars is going to do to anyone's personality. The loss that Tony would actually have if Pepper were killed feels real. Now, I didn't believe for a minute that Pepper was dead, but I believed what Tony would have felt watching her fall into the fire.
This isn't about RDJ's acting ability. This is about the indirect thrill of watching a self-centered, air-headed walking pencil stick burn, however briefly.

But okay, nicer question: Ya think they'll give the pencil stick her own suit of armor like in Iron Man Armored Adventures?
She also has/had (I don't know if she still does) her own suit in the comics called Rescue.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 03:31 AM   #78
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post

The one thing that caught my attention from the very beginning was the editing/pacing. I'm sure most didn't notice this, but I immediately picked up on that this was from a different director, writer, and editor.
Oh, I noticed. It's one of the things I liked about it. I don't need, nor want, my sequels to look and feel the same, especially if someone else is directing. I would rather have the tones mixed up a little. Not a TOTAL shift, but, mixing up a little, isn't a bad thing for me.
Old May 5 2013, 03:55 AM   #79
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I thought the movie was good but I think I would've been let down by the swerve if I had been a big comic fan. Some of the FX work was quite spectacular. I thought it was a step up from the second film.

foxhot wrote: View Post
My favorite throwaway line from Downey was ''Westworld,'' directed at the intensely-staring backup villain. Now more people will start seeing that 40-year-old classic again.
I liked when he called the Mandarin "Ringo" because he was really reminding me of him.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 04:10 AM   #80
The Habs Fan
Commodore

I rate this movie "average". Maybe slightly better than Iron Man 2 (only because the villain is better developed in this movie).
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 04:18 AM   #81
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

So, are we to understand that Ten Rings is and always has been a front for A.I.M. operations?
Old May 5 2013, 04:31 AM   #82
Neroon
Mod of balance

I don't think so. Dream's, idea of the Mandarin still being out there somewhere has some intriguing value to it. From what I've read about the character, I could see that happening, actually.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 05:01 AM   #83
Agent Richard07
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
She also has/had (I don't know if she still does) her own suit in the comics called Rescue.
Yeah, I liked seeing her suit up even if it was brief.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 05:41 AM   #84
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
So, are we to understand that Ten Rings is and always has been a front for A.I.M. operations?
What I found interesting in that regard is that the movie made no direct connection between the Mandarin and the terrorist organization in the first film (unless it was as blink-and-you-miss-it as Stan's cameo). The likes of us might be expected to make the connection from the information given, but they could have spelled it out for the audience. However...

Overall, I was fine with the Mandarin twist. That character is no sacred cow to me.

A couple of random observations:

1) It's just not AIM without the beekeeper outfits;

2) Based on the casting, it seems that the filmmakers had money on Romney for the election.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 05:42 AM   #85
Dream
Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Oh, I noticed. It's one of the things I liked about it. I don't need, nor want, my sequels to look and feel the same, especially if someone else is directing. I would rather have the tones mixed up a little. Not a TOTAL shift, but, mixing up a little, isn't a bad thing for me.
Also IM3 seemed to be driven more by the jokes, but it wasn't quite a full on comedy. But I do prefer the drama of the first IM though.
Old May 5 2013, 05:42 AM   #86
The Overlord
Captain

royalfan5 wrote: View Post
I enjoyed enough, but I wish there would have been greater development of the motivations of the villians.
I think Killian's motives were rather clear, kill Tony Stark for humiliating him and then sell Extremist based super soldiers to the government to deal with a terrorist threat Killian himself manufactured. Your typical profit and revenge motives many villains have.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:37 PM   #87
foxhot
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post

2) Based on the casting, it seems that the filmmakers had money on Romney for the election.
In having William Sadler and Miguel Ferrer portray the President and the Vice-President, you mean? I'd say what Shane Black was doing here was similar when he was writing his first LETHAL WEAPON screenplay.....enlisting the services of Psychos R Us.

And two very good actors to boot. Ferrer's made most of his money saying ''NOW....'' on movie trailers, despite his obvious talent. Sadler's best roles include TRESPASS and THE MIST.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:50 PM   #88
royalfan5
Fleet Captain

The Overlord wrote: View Post
I enjoyed enough, but I wish there would have been greater development of the motivations of the villians.
I think Killian's motives were rather clear, kill Tony Stark for humiliating him and then sell Extremist based super soldiers to the government to deal with a terrorist threat Killian himself manufactured. Your typical profit and revenge motives many villains have.
While I realize that suspension of disbelief is key to these type of movies. I just don't buy being that humiliated by Tony Stark after you accost a drunken version of him in an elevator on New Year's Eve, and then he doesn't show up that you need this great revenge.
Old May 5 2013, 12:52 PM   #89
Dream
Admiral

foxhot wrote: View Post
Sadler's best roles include TRESPASS and THE MIST.
Don't forget Sloan on DS9!
Old May 5 2013, 01:12 PM   #90
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I just don't buy being that humiliated by Tony Stark after you accost a drunken version of him in an elevator on New Year's Eve, and then he doesn't show up that you need this great revenge.
This. As a moment to motivate one's career in villainy, it made the old story of Superboy blowing out Luthor's hair seem Shakespearian by comparison. (For that matter, did anybody really spend Millennium Eve at a science conference...?)
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote