RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,708
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 844
Newest member: Robert james

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grsde "The Crimson Horror"
Geronimo! 52 43.70%
Good 40 33.61%
Average 16 13.45%
Bad 8 6.72%
…You just cannot see it 3 2.52%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4 2013, 09:46 PM   #16
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Re: 7X11 The Crimson Horror(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS

Average episode for me, while I do like Strax, Jenny and Vastra and there was plenty of funny moments to laugh at, the plot felt really rushed & half baked. Got to admit after season 6 more Arc based story this season more standalone style has not been as enjoyable though mostly in the 2nd half of the season. My grades in part 1 were stronger than part 2...

Asylum of the Daleks - Good
Dinosaurs On A Spaceship - Good
A Town called Mercy - Good
Power of Three - Average
The Angels take Manhattan - Excellent

The Bells of Saint John - Good
The Rings of Akhaten - Average
The Cold War - Average
Hide - Good
Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS - Good
The Crimson Horror - Average

With the finale of Who being potentially of the whole Silence & Doctor's name story arc I was hoping for some major build up but we aren't getting it.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 10:02 PM   #17
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Enjoyed the Hell out of that. Loved the Tom-Tom joke. Only complaint is that near the end, the villain-ess suddenly knew to call him "The Doctor", though he was never ever introduced to her as such. She just "knew" his name/title out of nowhere. But other than that... Wonderful.
Old May 4 2013, 10:18 PM   #18
Konata Izumi
Commander

Mad episode! The Bells of Saint John's still the best New Who. Can't find the interview right this second but Gatiss said he wants to take the Ice Warriors to their home planet at some point. He's on a roll.
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
We had the Rings of Akentanm or whatever. That episode alone should weigh down the entire part of the series as it's so bad.
The Rings of Akhaten's fucking sweet if terribly vague, otherwise expertly told. Hide got actually a bit sloppy.
Aldo wrote: View Post
(I refuse to separate series 7, it's one long series as far as I'm concerned.)
Why not sometimes one long series sometimes two halves?
DalekJim wrote: View Post
No Chris Chibnall, no companions that leave and come back every episode, less of a blockbustery feel and every episode has tried to do something interesting.
Leaving and coming back made a poignant arc for Eleven. He tried to keep away from the Ponds.

There's something beautiful about Chibnall's text when he doesn't appear to have a malfunction in the linguistic centre of his brain. I just want to hear his dialogue more. Speaking of that Whithouse is terrible in that regard. Stiff official sounding sentences with ill-fitting stock phrases to appear more literary, instead of actual skill. Decently told stories from both if little imagination.

Who's up for a Resurrection of the Daleks remake from Chibnall? Daleks with scalpels and claws to grab people from throats while people actually get shot endlessly...

Last edited by Konata Izumi; May 4 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 10:30 PM   #19
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Complicated is good.
Complicated is good, but too complicated is bad. It's a fine line to walk. And I guess if Moffat crosses over into "too complicated", well, that just increases the DVD sales. Win-win for him.

As for the episode itself: I loved it. Probably my favorite episode so far this half-season.

EDIT: I do wish that whoever tracked the music did a better job, though. They didn't seem to understand that they were using the Doctor's theme, not just generic action music...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 10:39 PM   #20
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

That was a fun episode. It was great to see Jenny get some screen time. I'm guessing her fighting outfit is also a homage to Mrs Peel and Diana Rigg. This was a fun ride. I would love a miniseries with Madam Vastra and the gang. Hopefully they will be back soon.
Old May 4 2013, 10:42 PM   #21
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Quite a good episode. After last weeks filler episode, it was a nice change.
Old May 4 2013, 10:46 PM   #22
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I voted good. Solid entertaining episode. Started off almost as a Doctor-lite episode but we got plenty of Matt doing his thing and Jenna-Louise being lovely. Strax and co are always good value for money too.

Did anyone else take Jenny's black leather scene to be a nod to Diana Rigg's Emma Peel days?
Old May 4 2013, 10:46 PM   #23
Ghost Bones
Captain

Rancid, repellent television. A failure in every measurable way and no one involved should ever work again.
Old May 4 2013, 10:53 PM   #24
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I voted good. Solid entertaining episode. Started off almost as a Doctor-lite episode but we got plenty of Matt doing his thing and Jenna-Louise being lovely. Strax and co are always good value for money too.

Did anyone else take Jenny's black leather scene to be a nod to Diana Rigg's Emma Peel days?
Yes, very much an Emma Peel look, I'd say. The Tegan references were great as well. Next week, well, we'll see how the Scooby Gang works out for the Doctor and Clara. I do wonder if the last picture the kids showed Clara will bring back any memories?
Old May 4 2013, 11:08 PM   #25
Green Lantern
Captain

Wait, you didn't like Rise of the Cybermen? There is something wrong with you. It's one of Tennant's best episodes of all time.
Tennant's best episodes are ones like Blink, Gridlock, Silence in the Library, Midnight or Waters of Mars. Ones that like.. actually try? Thankfully the writer of the abhorrent Rise of the Cybermen redeemed himself with my favourite New Who episode to date, The Girl Who Waited.

I loved Journeys End. It was a piece of art.

You have the worst Doctor Who taste of all-time. You seem to hold intelligent writing in contempt and genuinely seem to desire the series to be as stupid and simplistic as possible. I'm glad you're not getting your way.
YUCK YUCK YUCK! As I remember, I didn't like Blink much, I hate Doctor less episodes, Gridlock was average if that, SITL was quite good, Midnight was suprisingly good, but average, and waters of mars was a gooden. The girl who waited? THE GIRL WHO WAITED????? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU????????/ That's in y top ten worst episodes of all time. Awfull soppy episode. Obe of the episodes which made me hate the Ponds even more.

No sorry, but you have one of the worst dr. who taste ever. Alot of people agree with me and think RTD is such a good writer and complicated stuff issn't the right way to go. You know one day whether it be many years or not, I will be getting my way again, so yeah.......

Tell me are you American by any chance? It seems that the Yankees have different taste to the Brits (I'm British BTW).
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 11:13 PM   #26
Avon
Fleet Captain

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Rancid, repellent television. A failure in every measurable way and no one involved should ever work again.
in that case here's what you should do from now on:

1. don't watch.

because this would have the bonus knock on effect of:

2. you not commenting on anything.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 11:16 PM   #27
Green Lantern
Captain

Wait, you didn't like Rise of the Cybermen? There is something wrong with you. It's one of Tennant's best episodes of all time.
Tennant's best episodes are ones like Blink, Gridlock, Silence in the Library, Midnight or Waters of Mars. Ones that like.. actually try? Thankfully the writer of the abhorrent Rise of the Cybermen redeemed himself with my favourite New Who episode to date, The Girl Who Waited.

I loved Journeys End. It was a piece of art.

You have the worst Doctor Who taste of all-time. You seem to hold intelligent writing in contempt and genuinely seem to desire the series to be as stupid and simplistic as possible. I'm glad you're not getting your way.
Jax wrote: View Post
Average episode for me, while I do like Strax, Jenny and Vastra and there was plenty of funny moments to laugh at, the plot felt really rushed & half baked. Got to admit after season 6 more Arc based story this season more standalone style has not been as enjoyable though mostly in the 2nd half of the season. My grades in part 1 were stronger than part 2...

Asylum of the Daleks - Good
Dinosaurs On A Spaceship - Good
A Town called Mercy - Good
Power of Three - Average
The Angels take Manhattan - Excellent

The Bells of Saint John - Good
The Rings of Akhaten - Average
The Cold War - Average
Hide - Good
Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS - Good
The Crimson Horror - Average

With the finale of Who being potentially of the whole Silence & Doctor's name story arc I was hoping for some major build up but we aren't getting it.
Ok, here's mine (yay, I love grading things!!!! :P)

Key:
****** - Outstanding
***** - Good
**** - Average
*** - Ok
** - Bad
* - Terrible

Asylum of the Daleks - ****
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - ***
A Town Called Mercy - **
The Power of Three - ****
The Angels Take Manhattan - ******

The Snowmen - ***

The Bells of Saint John - ***
The Rings of Akhaten - *
The Cold War - *****
Hide - **
Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS - **
The Crimson Horror - **
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 11:20 PM   #28
Ghost Bones
Captain

junxon wrote: View Post

1. don't watch.

Please don't address me ever again, unless I quote you first.
Old May 4 2013, 11:30 PM   #29
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

junxon wrote: View Post

1. don't watch.

Please don't address me ever again, unless I quote you first.
Then dont post here.

You do nothing but spew hate for the show, and are generally negative 100% of the time. Its offensive and tired.

Oh, and its a PUBLIC board. Get used to being called on your crap.
Old May 4 2013, 11:33 PM   #30
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Well, Bones hated it, which means its now my favorite story of the season.

But really, I gave this one top marks. And a Gatiss story too. Never thought I'd see the day.

But really, this is probably his best series story yet. Almost makes up for VotD.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote