Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 1 2013, 02:33 AM   #61
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: The Voice 4

I actually didn't think Midas Whale was all that great in the knockout round.

When it comes to Adam, he's been known to take the lesser performances in the battle and knockout rounds if he thinks they have better overall talent that he can help out. Last season he was pretty vocal a couple times for Blake to take the singer who had the lesser performance because of what he saw in them.

Also, Orlando Dixon was an instant goner going up against Judith Hill, but the background singers drowning him out toward the end of his song is a problem that has plagued The Voice for the past couple seasons.

I think last season had far better talent than this season.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:07 AM   #62
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I didn't think it was Midas Whale's best performance either, but I thought Amber did even worse.

I agree about the background singers, they are really noticeable sometimes and it can take away significantly from the performance.

I'm about halfway through tonight's episode. I think Usher's team is my least favorite. Really, there's not anyone I'm excited about going into the live rounds. I don't feel a connection to anyone. I guess I'll root for Garrett since he's the underdog and he seems like a nice guy.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:29 AM   #63
Aragorn
Admiral

Sometimes it takes the live rounds for someone to pop. Dia Frampton was pretty middle-of-the-pack until her live performance. Cassadee Pope didn't explode until she sang "Over You." Not everyone can be Terry McDermott and win the knockout round after singing just one verse.
Old May 4 2013, 05:50 AM   #64
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Honestly, there were a lot of knockout round decisions I disagreed with, but no 'Travesties'. Nobody in the live shows who really doesn't deserve to be there like Mouseketeer boy.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 11:53 AM   #65
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, there is only one other "undiscovered" singer whom I hold in the same regard as Amy. Her name is Madilyn Bailey.

Imagine Dragon - Radioactive
Rihanna - Diamonds
Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child
Adele - Skyfall

What do you guys think of her voice?
Old May 4 2013, 07:30 PM   #66
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

She has a very beautiful voice. At times I noticed a quality to her voice that I think would actually make her a great country singer. I think she sounds better than Amy.

I think what this show has proven to me more than anything else is not how much talent exists out there, I was already aware of that, but how important song writing is. A hit song that is catchy, fun, or creates an emotional connection is necessary for any quality singer to really showcase their talents. I also think it's why the past winners haven't been successful yet. Also, your song being featured in a commercial usually helps (I'm thinking of the Fun. song in that Superbowl commercial).
—T.S. Eliot
Old May 4 2013, 08:05 PM   #67
Aragorn
Admiral

The knockout round, which has only been around for two seasons, has shown how much choosing the wrong song to sing can hurt the artist.

Unless that artist is with Adam, who has been known to take the lesser performance because he thinks the singer is better overall. He even wanted Blake to take Luke because Luke was more talented even though he blew the knockout round by singing Katy Perry.

I have to wonder how Blake taking all country to the live rounds will affect whether or not singers pick him next season, even though the first three seasons Blake dropped all his country singers left and right.
Old May 7 2013, 01:27 AM   #68
Danny99
Vice Admiral

God Christina Milan, shut up! I hope you fall out of the skybox!
Old May 7 2013, 01:42 AM   #69
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Is it me or has every performance so far been really underwhelming, then all the coaches said it was the greatest performance of all time?
Old May 7 2013, 01:59 AM   #70
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

And WTF? The first performance of the night I could get into the coaches shit all over. Is it opposite day or something? Amber screeches and strains for notes "It's like my heart was effing Jesus", Cathia sings a Whitney Houston song and doesn't oversing it to Whitney's absurd extents, "It was okay I guess."

Edit: And the only two performances of the night to actually draw me in are the last two. If Michelle Chamuel and Judith Hill don't dominate these two votes I will sincerely question the voters' sanity.

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; May 7 2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old May 7 2013, 08:31 AM   #71
Aragorn
Admiral

The responses after Cathia's performance were rather awkward, even from her own coach. It was like there were three Christina Aguileras giving their thoughts.

She didn't knock it out of the park, but she wasn't bad either. Except for season 1, everyone's who has made the live shows have shown they deserve to be there. But I have to say that as a whole, this season's live contestants are nowhere as good as last season's.
Old May 7 2013, 05:09 PM   #72
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
And WTF? The first performance of the night I could get into the coaches shit all over. Is it opposite day or something? Amber screeches and strains for notes "It's like my heart was effing Jesus", Cathia sings a Whitney Houston song and doesn't oversing it to Whitney's absurd extents, "It was okay I guess."

Edit: And the only two performances of the night to actually draw me in are the last two. If Michelle Chamuel and Judith Hill don't dominate these two votes I will sincerely question the voters' sanity.
Yeah, it was a strange night. Michelle Chamuel ended up being my favorite, and Judith Hill is just an amazing singer/perfomer. It's obvious why she was chosen to share the stage with Michael Jackson (which we need to mention every 5 minutes apparently).

I also thought that the other performances were rather boring, but Cathia's did stand out to me as being very good. And then, as you said, the judges were pretty harsh about it. Usher is quickly becoming the new Christina, by which I mean the new "villain" coach. He is really hard on his team, and all the performers really. He is so rarely satisfied. Which is the total opposite of Shakira, who seems to love everyone and everything (except Cathia's performance ).
—T.S. Eliot
Old May 8 2013, 12:11 AM   #73
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Is it a new mic they're using? I notice everyone's voices sounded a little different in weird way, a little hoarser and breaths are throatier and more audible.. way easier to hear when they go off pitch.
Old May 8 2013, 04:54 AM   #74
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

So, I missed the show, then I watched the performances on nbc.com so I didn't see the coach's reaction.

For me the standout performances of the night were, by far, Sasha Allen and Garrett Gardner.

So then I look at the ITunes singles charts, and the one I thought was the worst of the night, Danielle Bradbery, is easily the highest selling.

At least Sasha Allen is second, the only good performance from Blake's team (Swon brothers) are third, and Garrett is fourth.

If I have to hear these coaches say Whitney Houston is 'Sacred ground' again. Yeah, she had incredible technical talent, but incredibly hammy performing style.
Old May 8 2013, 05:08 AM   #75
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Is it a new mic they're using? I notice everyone's voices sounded a little different in weird way, a little hoarser and breaths are throatier and more audible.. way easier to hear when they go off pitch.
I was thinking it was just the quality of my signal compressing the audio down, but it definitely sounds odd to me. A little shallow and dull.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote