Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 2 2013, 02:12 PM   #16
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: characters getting stick for not being "perfect"?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Different tastes for different people. Not everyone's going to like

Personally, I think Riker's just a jerk for the way he treats everyone outside the command clique that he's not trying to lay. He's consistently condescending and rude to them for no other reason than he can. So yeah, sorry... that doesn't win points with me. Especially when the script tries to tell you how likable he is all the time. Others like him because he is quite the loyal friend if you happen to be in his clique and that's their privilege.

Kira happens to be one of my favorite characters. Sure she's got a number of issues, but to me that just makes her more real. I'm sure if you drug a Jew out of a concentration camp in 1945 or just one that had been in hiding they'd have any number of issues too. She's been through a lot and isn't the everything's hunky dory picture that Star Trek often paints for the good guys.

Keiko... I dunno, she never much sold herself to me. It's not that she get annoyed with O'brien occasionally... it's that she complains almost every episode she's in about O'brien's career and what she gave up for him, what he's doing. She does come across as a nag of the first order to me. But that's not all there is to her by a long shot. By all accounts she does seem to be a very compassionate person who cares about the people around her. My favorite scene with her is when she was telling O'brien to "kick his butt" in Rivals. You just got the feeling she was behind O'brien there.

Either way, you can go down the list with any number of characters and opinions are going to vary with each board member here. Just the way things go.
I love Kira! She's kind to those who are kind to her and angry towards those who did her wrong. I don't think that is unreasonable. She doesn't seem to be prejudiced against ALL Cardassians the way some other people are, as she was somewhat close to Ghemor and Garak. Also she cared deeply for Ziyal (who was half-Cardassian). So, I think her attitude was mostly that not EVERYONE was a cold-hearted killer, just a lot of them were.

I am not a Riker fan. I'm not sure if they tried to intentionally make him dislikeable or not, but I just...I don't know. He just never won me over.

Keiko also, not a big fan. But O'Brien loves her and they have those adorable kids, so I can't say anything bad about her really. I think her character was rather dull though. You see her start the school in DS9 Season 1 and then YOU NEVER SEE IT AGAIN. Then she obviously leaves for like 6 month stretches because she takes up botany again. O'Brien is just left alone for months. I felt bad for him. Although I guess all of his bro-mancing with Bashir in the holosuites and the dart wheel make up for it? lol
Old May 4 2013, 03:53 AM   #17
LoneDragon
Lieutenant

Nobody likes Keiko!
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 05:36 AM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

LoneDragon wrote: View Post
Nobody likes Keiko!
O'brien seems to.
Old May 4 2013, 06:02 AM   #19
Third Nacelle
Captain

I, for one, like Keiko. I also like Miles.

I just cannot stand them together. They seem like they love each other and their kids, but they never really seem happy in their relationship. I know Keiko was unhappy moving to DS9, but even on the Enterprise they seemed like an awful mismatch.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 06:41 AM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
I, for one, like Keiko. I also like Miles.

I just cannot stand them together. They seem like they love each other and their kids, but they never really seem happy in their relationship. I know Keiko was unhappy moving to DS9, but even on the Enterprise they seemed like an awful mismatch.
My theory is the makeup sex was great.
Old May 4 2013, 07:08 AM   #21
maneth
Captain

I never really liked Keiko much. She seemed to love her kids and Miles, but she had to sacrifice her own career to be with him. Sometimes she resented it. I don't think she regretted her choice, just the fact that circumstances forced her into that choice.

I liked Riker and never found him overbearing, but your mileage may vary. He was hardly flawless, but the flaws were mostly interesting.

I also think that Wesley gets a lot of unnecessary flak. He did save the crew and the ship on more than one occasion, although I did want to kick the writers sometimes for making the adults seem so stupid and blind just so Wes could shine (Datalore and The Game come to mind).
Old May 4 2013, 09:45 AM   #22
PeachyA
Ensign

maneth wrote: View Post

I liked Riker and never found him overbearing, but your mileage may vary. He was hardly flawless, but the flaws were mostly interesting.

I also think that Wesley gets a lot of unnecessary flak. He did save the crew and the ship on more than one occasion, although I did want to kick the writers sometimes for making the adults seem so stupid and blind just so Wes could shine (Datalore and The Game come to mind).
I didn't think Riker was that bad, although at times I found him to be rather...slimy. But I suppose that was intentional.

Agree on Wesley, I never understood why he gets so much hate, because except for a few episodes that seem to be written only to give Wesley a dose of self-esteem and let him be the best and brightest even though he's still just a kid and all the others have years of experience, I actually found him rather nice. Although the scenario of Dr. Crusher conveniently inactivating Data in The Game seemed a little too forced.
PeachyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 09:49 AM   #23
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

LoneDragon wrote: View Post
Nobody likes Keiko!
I like Keiko too.

I never understand all the hate she gets.
Old May 4 2013, 06:33 PM   #24
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
My theory is the makeup sex was great.
And the angry sex was even better than that.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote