Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 4 2013, 03:50 PM   #991
flavaflav
Commander

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Set Harth wrote: View Post
just a lower level of canon, meaning that the films ( or Lucas ) took precedence if there was a conflict. It could always be overwritten, and such overwrites were already old news in the franchise by 1983.
exactly. the EU is not official canon. as such, I don't understand the unnecessary drama about shitty EU stories getting tossed in the garbage that only a very small fraction of Star Wars fans have ever read.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 03:59 PM   #992
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Additionally, consistency isn't the highest value anyway, not mine at least. For example, despite inconsistencies with ANH, I thought that Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry was well worth reading and thinking about. It doesn't have to mesh perfectly to be worthwhile in its own right, which I thought it was.

But, to answer why complain: we fans love to bleat and grind our axes. That's what we do!
Old May 4 2013, 04:08 PM   #993
Mr Light
Admiral

Where was Death Star inconsistent with the movie?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 04:24 PM   #994
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Where was Death Star inconsistent with the movie?
Damn, I was afraid someone might ask that.

It's been a while since I read it so I can't give a complete answer. There weren't any that I considered major.

I recall some of the movie dialog being incorrect, a minor point but one that shouldn't have fallen through the cracks, since it would have been easy enough to fix. Another minor point is that, IIRC, it forgot to mention that not only did two X-Wings survive the climactic battle, but also one Y-Wing did as well (it forgot the Y-Wing).
Old May 4 2013, 05:06 PM   #995
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

flavaflav wrote: View Post
just a lower level of canon, meaning that the films ( or Lucas ) took precedence if there was a conflict. It could always be overwritten, and such overwrites were already old news in the franchise by 1983.
exactly. the EU is not official canon. as such, I don't understand the unnecessary drama about shitty EU stories getting tossed in the garbage that only a very small fraction of Star Wars fans have ever read.
Not all EU is the same. Some may be shitty. Some, arguably, is not. It may have varying degrees of shittiness, like pretty much any collection of anything. Some EU has been better at consistency with the movies. Some tries to fix plot holes in the films. People may hate the very concept of the EU, but that doesn't change the fact that in some cases the EU made choices that were well thought out and logically sound given the information in the films.

A lot of the choices made by the Raiders of the Last Arcs have been shitty. It's not a question of majority rule. Screwing up the Clone Wars political situation, for example, was unnecessary. This kind of thing doesn't toss some obscure book "in the garbage". It craps on films watched by people who don't read books.
Old May 5 2013, 03:36 AM   #996
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

A lot of the choices made by the Raiders of the Last Arcs have been shitty. It's not a question of majority rule. Screwing up the Clone Wars political situation, for example, was unnecessary. This kind of thing doesn't toss some obscure book "in the garbage". It craps on films watched by people who don't read books.
I know I'm going to regret this but....

What exactly from the films did The Clone Wars contradict exactly?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 04:15 AM   #997
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. If the Clone Wars series dropped a huge smelly scatbomb on the live-action Saga films I'd be curious to know how. From my memory and perspective there's little to argue with other than no mention whatsoever of important and long-running characters like Ahsoka in Episode III, but that can be chalked up to the fact that the film was made several years before the animated series premiered and the supposition that events in the third prequel had progressed forward enough from the events in The Clone Wars that Anakin or Obi-Wan had no in-universe reason or excuse to mention Ahsoka.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:53 PM   #998
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Well there is the fact that ObiWan and Anakin appear to have not met Dooku since Episode II, nor have they ever met Grevious face to face. Clone Wars ignored boththose points. Plus the entire Seperatist Council is capturedin TCW despite stillbeing free in RotS. There are differences in the way the politics of the war are portrayed as well.

And this is coming from someone eho loves the show and wishes it had several more years to wrap up its storylines.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:32 PM   #999
Mr Light
Admiral

The only reference to inter-movie Dooku encounters is Anakin telling him his powers have doubled since last they met. Doesn't necessarily mean it was AOTC.

As for Grevious, it is clear that only Anakin has never met him before from the dialogue. He speaks as if he knows Obi-Wan. And Anakin never fought Grevious in the cartoon.

At some point in a future episode the Seperatist leaders would have been broken out of jail by their cohorts.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 05:22 PM   #1000
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
He speaks as if he knows Obi-Wan.
Yet when they fight on Utapau, he feels the need to proclaim "You fool! I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku!" as though they've never dueled before ( which was probably the original intention ).

Also, it's GRIEVOUS ( actual word in the English language ),
not GREVIOUS ( not an English word ).
Old May 5 2013, 05:38 PM   #1001
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Such little retcons have been going on all along, certainly ever since the PT came out and retconned aspects of the OT here and there, heck, really ever since the special editions of the OT came out, even if not before during the original run of the OT. It's par for the course.

To someone reared on the original run of the OT, it's really not a big deal.
Old May 5 2013, 08:17 PM   #1002
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I'm a gargantuan OT fan who grew up with the original theatrical versions and can be one of the most nitpicky bastards on this entire planet when I want, but I'm not complaining about any of this neither.

Even if a few of these are legitimate retcons, they happen. Trek has them, too. When you continually pen and produce a sci-fi/fantasy franchise that lasts for decades and use different writers this thing is occasionally going to happen because keeping an entire universe that's been on the big and small screens since before a whole lot of us were even born 100% consistent with itself isn't going to be possible.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 08:49 PM   #1003
Christopher
Writer

^Right. Every ongoing work of fiction is revised over time. Either different creators come in and bring new perspectives and interpretations, or the same creator has new ideas and reconsiders certain things.

I've recently come to the realization that storytellers and audiences perceive fiction in very different ways. To the audience, a work of fiction is something they experience as a pre-existing whole, so they may be inclined to see it as fixed and permanent, and thus react badly to any changes or discontinuities. But to the creator, that work is the end result of a long process of trial and error, revisions, second thoughts, improvements, and the like. It's that process of questioning and reconsidering the content of the work that shaped it in the first place, so it's natural that the author continues to question and reconsider even after the work is published/released. And so creators may change their minds about what they did in an earlier installment of a series, decide it will be better if it's interpreted differently. Ideally you try to find a way to mesh the old information smoothly with the new so that it feels consistent, but that's not always feasible.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 09:32 PM   #1004
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Right. Every ongoing work of fiction is revised over time. Either different creators come in and bring new perspectives and interpretations, or the same creator has new ideas and reconsiders certain things.

I've recently come to the realization that storytellers and audiences perceive fiction in very different ways. To the audience, a work of fiction is something they experience as a pre-existing whole, so they may be inclined to see it as fixed and permanent, and thus react badly to any changes or discontinuities. But to the creator, that work is the end result of a long process of trial and error, revisions, second thoughts, improvements, and the like. It's that process of questioning and reconsidering the content of the work that shaped it in the first place, so it's natural that the author continues to question and reconsider even after the work is published/released. And so creators may change their minds about what they did in an earlier installment of a series, decide it will be better if it's interpreted differently. Ideally you try to find a way to mesh the old information smoothly with the new so that it feels consistent, but that's not always feasible.
I've read somewhere that even JRR Tolkien at one point considered rewriting The Hobbit to better fit with The Lord of the Rings.
Old May 5 2013, 10:01 PM   #1005
Christopher
Writer

^I thought he actually did rewrite a portion of The Hobbit to fit better with LOTR.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote