Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 3 2013, 05:05 PM   #16
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Chris Pine Signed up for two more Star Trek movies

When putting that together, I realized I don't have any decent Trek fonts.
Old May 3 2013, 07:00 PM   #17
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Well its good to know he will be around for 2 more. I liked his portrayal of Kirk even when the writing forced his character to be incredibly stupid in some situations.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 07:23 PM   #18
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

MikeS wrote: View Post
Hope I don't get into trouble for posting a new thread here...

I read an interview with Pine in todays Mirror (British newspaper). In it they ask - "William Shatner made seven Star Trek feature movies. How many do you think you will make?"

He is quoted as replying "I'm commited to two more at this point. Er, not sure if I should have said that [laughs]"

Unfortunately I cannot find a weblink to this interview.
Was it this one?
interview wrote:
Shatner played Kirk for 30 years. Do you still want to be playing him in 30 years' time?

Again, I think it's a little presumptuous to start talking about 30 years in the future. I am signed up for two more films, as I think everyone else is in the cast, and I'm having a lot of fun right now. But I'm not going to count any chickens before they hatch.
It sounds as if the wording for the one you saw may have been slightly changed, but it also looks like the Mirror may have been recycling material from a 2009 piece.
Old May 3 2013, 09:29 PM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral

Hmm, as I understand, the plan has always been to do a trilogy. But if Pine is indeed signed on for two movies, could that mean they're planning a two-part story? That's technically a trilogy with four movies.

anh165 wrote: View Post
The borg belongs in the mid 90's prime techobabble universe where the likes of La Forge, Nelix and Harry Kim were the faces of star trek.
Interesting. The lion's share of Borg appearances are from 1996-2001, which I consider late 90s, not mid.

To put the borg in the next film would be creative and subsequently commercial suicide IMO.
I disagree. The Borg are pretty popular Trek villains. Sure, Trek fans may be sick of them, and still whine a decade after the fact that Voyager pussified them, but among the general public the Borg are "cool." First Contact is after all the most popular TNG movie and Borg merchandise does sell well. And Enterprise's Borg episode was one with higher ratings than usual. "Resistance is Futile" is a recognizable catch phrase in pop culture, and chances are you ask some random person the meaning of the word assimilate they're going to say "that's what those Borg guys do in Star Trek" even if they don't watch Star Trek. Putting the Borg in the next Trek movie would not be commercial suicide at all. I will actually be surprised, very surprised if the Borg are not the villains of Trek XIII.

And besides, the Borg have already been featured in the Abramsverse young adult Starfleet Academy novel series which is directly supervised by Bad Robot, so they obviously don't feel the Borg only belong among the "days when Neelix and Harry Kim were Star Trek's face."

Last edited by The Wormhole; May 4 2013 at 02:50 AM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 09:32 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
The borg belongs in the mid 90's prime techobabble universe where the likes of La Forge, Nelix and Harry Kim were the faces of star trek.

AAHHHH YOU MADE ME SHARE THIS MELAKON! Know my horror.
Old May 3 2013, 09:40 PM   #21
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

I'd rather they come up with some new interesting threat or enemy that involves the Enterprise exploring space and such I don't want to see each movie trod out a new re-imagine classic Trek villain, because that becomes too formulaic and takes the focus off of the actual adventure of the crew, and you know actually trekking among the stars.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 10:00 PM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
I'd rather they come up with some new interesting threat or enemy that involves the Enterprise exploring space and such I don't want to see each movie trod out a new re-imagine classic Trek villain, because that becomes too formulaic and takes the focus off of the actual adventure of the crew, and you know actually trekking among the stars.
Fun fact: The Nibiru mission in STID's opening scene is the first time a Trek move has actually shown any exploration.

Anyway, the Abrams series has already established that all it is is a big-budget reimagining of Trek, and therefore it only makes sense that each movie will trot out the franchise's most popular villains and aliens rather than doing anything new or original. That's baiscally Hollywood's credo in general at the moment.

Besides, even the Abramsverse comics are just adaptations of TOS episodes as opposed to anything new. Even Countdown to Darkness is a cross between A Private Little War and The Omega Glory.
Old May 3 2013, 10:38 PM   #23
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

While I do want completely new stories too, rehashing old stories makes sense. On one hand, the changes between universes were rarely been dramatic in Star Trek, look at how close the Mirror Universe was to the main universe. On the other, Botany Bay is floating in space, the whale probe is coming towards the Earth, not revising some of them would be a weird choice. Those are big events that are happening in the new timeline, possibly under new and much more interesting circumstances. Why would you pass the opportunity to use them?

I am actually quite content if STID story is what I think it is. It is a new story, telling new events from a new angle, I don't see nothing rehashed. As a revisit, it will only add to what we saw in TOS, adding more depth to the old characters, much like STXI did for me with Uhura, let us explore alternative life histories, give us a peek into Federation dirty business, and show us a lot of brand new things (of my favourite kind, I might add).
Old May 4 2013, 01:59 AM   #24
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Fun fact: The Nibiru mission in STID's opening scene is the first time a Trek move has actually shown any exploration.
What were Chekov and Terrell doing when they thought they were beaming down to the garden spot of Ceti Alpha VI?
"Starship log, stardate 8130.4. Log entry by First Officer Pavel Chekov. Starship Reliant on orbital approach to Ceti Alpha VI in connection with Project Genesis. We are continuing our search for a lifeless planet that will satisfy the requirements of a test site for the Genesis experiments. This is the sixteenth planet we have visited. So far, no success."
Old May 4 2013, 02:24 AM   #25
The Wormhole
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
What were Chekov and Terrell doing when they thought they were beaming down to the garden spot of Ceti Alpha VI?
"Starship log, stardate 8130.4. Log entry by First Officer Pavel Chekov. Starship Reliant on orbital approach to Ceti Alpha VI in connection with Project Genesis. We are continuing our search for a lifeless planet that will satisfy the requirements of a test site for the Genesis experiments. This is the sixteenth planet we have visited. So far, no success."
That was more of a research mission, IMO, but would it satisfy you if I rephrased that and said the Nibiru mission is the first time a Trek movie has shown the Enterprise (any Enterprise) doing any exploring?

Last edited by The Wormhole; May 4 2013 at 02:46 AM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 02:42 AM   #26
robau
Lieutenant Commander

To put the borg in the next film would be creative and subsequently commercial suicide IMO.
Unfortunately zombies are in right now.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 02:44 AM   #27
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Yeah, Wormhole, that's probably more specific.
Old May 4 2013, 03:16 AM   #28
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Spock explores the interior of Vejur in TMP.

Spock explores "the undiscovered country" between STs II and III.

Saavik and David explore the Genesis Planet in ST III.

Kirk and his crew explore 1986 San Francisco in ST IV.

The Excelsior is returning from exploring and cataloguing gaseous anomalies for three years in ST VI.

Besides, even the Abramsverse comics are just adaptations of TOS episodes as opposed to anything new.
There was an original two-parter featuring Sarek and the Romulans. The "Tribbles" two-parter told an all-new story. The Keenser one-shot was original. The last few solo character stories have been prequels.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 03:28 AM   #29
donners22
Commodore

And the Enterprise D was charting gaseous anomalies...
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 11:39 AM   #30
MikeS
Fleet Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
Hope I don't get into trouble for posting a new thread here...

I read an interview with Pine in todays Mirror (British newspaper). In it they ask - "William Shatner made seven Star Trek feature movies. How many do you think you will make?"

He is quoted as replying "I'm commited to two more at this point. Er, not sure if I should have said that [laughs]"

Unfortunately I cannot find a weblink to this interview.
Was it this one?
interview wrote:
Shatner played Kirk for 30 years. Do you still want to be playing him in 30 years' time?

Again, I think it's a little presumptuous to start talking about 30 years in the future. I am signed up for two more films, as I think everyone else is in the cast, and I'm having a lot of fun right now. But I'm not going to count any chickens before they hatch.
It sounds as if the wording for the one you saw may have been slightly changed, but it also looks like the Mirror may have been recycling material from a 2009 piece.
Not as far as I know. It was a piece written specifically for ST:ID (perhaps not exclusively for the Mirror). The interview was exactly as I've quoted.

Last edited by MikeS; May 4 2013 at 11:51 AM.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote