Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 3 2013, 09:52 AM   #16
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Re: Science experiment gone bad

Candlelight wrote: View Post
I think coming straight after the Boston incidents and the fertilizer explosion in Texas police want to make sure this isn't something more than what she says it is.
Was anyone charged with a felony for knowingly breaking the law when playing with something far more dangerous than household chemicals, killing a bunch of people and levelling a school in a fertilizer plant explosion?
Old May 3 2013, 10:31 AM   #17
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

The kid was being a kid. The adults are being idiots. The extent of her punishment should be a dopey slap and a hearty, "Don't do that again. You're lucky you didn't kill yourself."

I had a chemistry set when I was a kid a lot younger than her and I mixed everything I could get my hands on.
Old May 3 2013, 11:25 AM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Kiera Wilmot got good grades and had a perfect behavior record. She wasn't the kind of kid you'd expect to find hauled away in handcuffs and expelled from school, but that's exactly what happened after an attempt at a science project went horribly wrong.

On 7 a.m. on Monday, the 16 year-old mixed some common household chemicals in a small 8 oz water bottle on the grounds of Bartow High School in Bartow, Florida. The reaction caused a small explosion that caused the top to pop up and produced some smoke. No one was hurt and no damage was caused.

According to WTSP, Wilmot told police that she was merely conducting a science experiment. Though her teachers knew nothing of the specific project, her principal seems to agree.

"She made a bad choice. Honestly, I don't think she meant to ever hurt anyone," principal Ron Pritchard told the station. "She wanted to see what would happen [when the chemicals mixed] and was shocked by what it did. Her mother is shocked, too."

After the explosion Wilmot was taken into custody by a school resources officer and charged with possession/discharge of a weapon on school grounds and discharging a destructive device. She will be tried as an adult.
Rest of story here

Police report of the incident

I am asking people here if they think she is being treated too harshly or not.
Jesus. She's being treated way too harshly.

The reaction caused a small explosion that caused the top to pop up and produced some smoke. No one was hurt and no damage was caused.
So the bottle cap popped up and some smoke came out. Wowsers. What an explosion!

You can describe a Coke/Mentos reaction like that as well.

Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with your country?! Giving firearms to 5-year-olds and wondering why eventually somebody gets killed, and putting some naive student in handcuffs and expell her from school just because of some playing with household chemicals.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:19 PM   #19
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I wonder if schoolboys attempt to light their own farts in the US. Homeland Security might have to arrest everyone in possession of a colon as being a potential terrorist.
Old May 3 2013, 12:45 PM   #20
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
Was anyone charged with a felony for knowingly breaking the law when playing with something far more dangerous than household chemicals, killing a bunch of people and levelling a school in a fertilizer plant explosion?
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with your country?! Giving firearms to 5-year-olds and wondering why eventually somebody gets killed, and putting some naive student in handcuffs and expell her from school just because of some playing with household chemicals.
Nope. And I don't know. This is one of those moments that I feel a bit sad and embarrassed to be an American.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:55 PM   #21
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

The moral of the story is "ejumakayshun is bad, mm kay, dont think, vote often, and vote early. DONT THINK!"

Seriously, dont try anything unsanctioned or free thinking, big business doesnt like thinkers.
Old May 3 2013, 01:06 PM   #22
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

Don't put up with stuff like this at school, but parents giving kids as young as 5 guns is fine. Yes, that makes perfect sense.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 03:44 PM   #23
B.J.
Rear Admiral

There's a petition on change.org to have the charges dropped.
Old May 3 2013, 04:58 PM   #24
farmkid
Commodore

When I first read the story, I saw it as complete over-reaction and that she shouldn't have any punishment at all, and I still partially do. However, the last line changed my mind a little. She mixed aluminum foil and toilet cleaner, otherwise known as a Drano bomb. This is a very common way to make something that makes a small explosion, only slightly less common that dry ice and water in a bottle. I don't think she was just innocently mixing chemicals to see what they would do. Here's what I think actually happened. She's a bright, good, usually very obedient girl who rarely gets into trouble. She heard about Drano bombs and was curious about it. Because she's still a child and her frontal lobe is not yet fully developed, she makes dumb choices at times and decided to try it out.

Now at this point, charging her with a crime is a complete over-reaction and will do more harm than good. She knows what she did was wrong, and since she's the type who doesn't normally get into trouble, she won't do it again. Give her a day or two in detention and maybe show her some pictures of people missing hands from making Drano bombs to be sure she understands that what she did was wrong and leave it at that. Prosecute her and send her to jail and you not only use court time and state resources unnecessarily but you also risk turning a normally good girl into something else and possibly making her a life-long criminal.
Old May 3 2013, 05:27 PM   #25
KimMH
Rear Admiral

Why arent they putting her in accelerated science program so she can find these things out in a supervised controlled situation? Probably because there isn't a gifted program for sciences or math or art or language in her district, they are increasingly the victims of budget cuts and we wonder why American students are falling behind. We are doing this to ourselves.
Old May 3 2013, 05:50 PM   #26
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
While I agree with you that this is both a total overreaction to what should have been solely a school disciplinary matter and that the child in the other case getting access to a gun is gross negligence, you act as if the two incidents are somehow directly connected with each other and not the product of a country of 314 million people in 50 often very different states with varying attitudes and laws. It's ridiculous, but it's not hypocritical, because one thing has nothing to do with the other.
Old May 3 2013, 06:07 PM   #27
mari
Captain

Maybe if someone at that school had a gun, that female wouldn't have been doing science. Does that cover the entire conservative reaction?

A cousin of mine and his friend made a REAL bomb in their backyard - never detonated it - charged as juveniles and got a stern talking to. That sounds far more reasonable, for a good kid who just wants to do an experiment.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 10:16 AM   #28
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

B.J. wrote: View Post
There's a petition on change.org to have the charges dropped.
Ah, she's Black. No wonder. Wouldn't want a Black girl to have an interest in Science. That would be too much like the 21st Century. I signed the petition.
Old May 4 2013, 08:39 PM   #29
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

So did I, and it is just absurd how she's being treated.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 08:41 PM   #30
publiusr
Commodore

I also signed.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote