The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 20 2013, 11:31 PM   #211
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Convention Circuit - Least Favorite Person Associated With Trek?

"80%" is a loose guesstimate based on my personal experiences sharing stories w/other fans over 15 years. Nothing more. Certainly nothing official.

I would be curious to see such though; official figures. But that's unlikely as hell to ever exist, lol.

I think I'm going to start a "most favorite" thread spin-off of this, to sort of balance things...

...and in fact I have.http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...79#post7826479

lol

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 09:40 AM   #212
Guitar
Cadet

FRONTIER wrote:
I met a guy, he had a cast photo signed by everyone - including Gene. It happened to be the cast photo where part of Nichelle's face was obscured.
DUDE! If you're talking about this poster

http://www.posterplanet.net/startrek...-AQU241151.jpg

I'm blown away because she signed it for me without hesitation and a smile on her face a few years ago. She caught part of Nimoy's face with the signature, which I didn't really like, but I thanked her anyway, and she cheerfully and genuinely thanked me in return.

BIZARRE. As someone wrote earlier, I'm starting to believe that it just depends on which day you're meeting people.

As other people have said, George Takei= saint
Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:38 AM   #213
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

I have only been to 6 cons in a 20 year period and I have not really had a bad or good experience with the actors because I did not get autographs. I would listen to them speak on stage and then I would go to the dealers room, while my friends would get autographs. I did have college friends that I went to 3 of the cons with in the mid 1980s and my one friend, she complained about James Doohan being rude to her because she wanted to interview him for her paper or magazine. Doohan refused because she did not have to pay to get into the con because she used her press credentials to get in for free.

Anyway, I wonder if some of these actors have behaved poorly because they were notified at the con that they were not going to get the amount of money they were promised due to unforeseen circumstances, such as a lower number of people attending the con than was expected.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)

Last edited by Navigator_NCC2120; March 22 2013 at 05:37 AM.
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 07:21 AM   #214
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Navigator_NCC2120 wrote: View Post
Anyway, I wonder if some of these actors have behaved poorly because they were notified at the con that they were not going to get the amount of money they were promised due to unforeseen circumstances, such as a lower number of people attending the con than was expected.
I'll bet that has happened. They're giving up their weekend, dealing with all the hassles of travel etc., and then find out they've been screwed over money-wise. So they're boiling mad, and can't help feeling that giving the fans a wonderful experience would unjustly reward the convention promoters.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 07:51 AM   #215
Newspaper Taxi
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Maybe because you kept calling her "Uhuru" instead of her real name?
I have a hard time saying her name right for some reason. It morphs into odd combinations of "Nichelle" and "Nicole". I was afraid if I tried to write it out the result would be a travesty.
Old March 23 2013, 11:55 PM   #216
darthspangler
Lieutenant Commander

When I went on TrekCruise in 1989, they staggered the autograph signings (1/2 the passengers at one time, 1/2 at another time). My time was 9:00 one morning. I was so excited, because I would get to add Doohan and Nichols to my cast photo.

Well, guess what diva said that 9:00 was too early to get up for a signing? I was so disappointed, since that was my only time to catch her signing.

It does have a happy ending though. I was riding back on a boat from a private island where they took the passengers for a party. Guess who was on the boat? Didn't have my pic with me, however I overheard her saying she was going to the auditorium to rehearse her show for that night. Ran back to my room, got the photo, and went to the auditorium. She was rehearsing and I waited until she took a break. Surprisingly, nobody keeping people out of the room. I went up to her and asked her to sign the photo. I could tell she wasn't happy, but mission accomplished!
darthspangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 09:43 AM   #217
PeachyA
Ensign

I've been reading most of the posts in this thread now, and although I've never been to a con myself, I'll just add my two cents anyway.

I agree with those who said earlier in the thread that maybe having sky high expectations before meeting an actor is a great way to set yourself up for disappointment. I've seen a lot of comments about how actors aren't personal enough, don't take enough time to chat with everyone, are just in it for the money and so on. And honestly, what did you expect? For the bigger stars the lines to get an autograph can be several hundred people, and I imagine that the actors are on something of a schedule, they can't just sit down and have a 10 minute chat with everyone because the last half of the people in line wouldn't get their signatures at all. And of course they do it for the money, what else? As in the case with the TNG stars for example, it's been 20 years since the show ended, you don't seriously expect them to still be thrilled enough at the prospect of talking to fans about costumes or plot details after all this time, to just do it for goodwill, do you? I can absolutely understand that it gets tiring, especially as I imagine that there's a relevant part of the visitors who make it very clear that they're just there to get signatures for their collections.

I'm not saying that it's too much to expect an actor to at least say hi when they're approached at the signing table, but from what I gather, there are a lot of people who have no idea how to act normally around famous people/people they admire/ people in general.
PeachyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:12 AM   #218
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
It's a very small world down under, I don't think I could do it without folk being recognizable.

I'll just say this: if you can afford a 600.00 VIP ticket you can afford deodorant and a t-shirt that isn't crumbling off your back. That's a very general description of a great many people.
It's horror stories like this that have kept me away from any kind of geek convention. I'm pretty tolerant of all people in all forms, but one thing I can't get past is poor hygiene. I suffer from migraines, and olfactory "discomfort" is their biggest trigger. In other words, people who smell bad literally make me sick. I know it's probably a physiological thing and my problem, but it is what it is.

And to be frank, I don't know what is with nerds and not talking the occasional five minutes to hop in the shower.
Some American conventions have had to make a video about this (so I've heard) to tell the fans that they should bathe more (when I go to any con, I bathe all three days so I don't stink badly) and some have also announced a 'we will ban you if you do stink and haven't bathed' rule.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; May 2 2013 at 05:25 PM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:02 PM   #219
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
It's a very small world down under, I don't think I could do it without folk being recognizable.

I'll just say this: if you can afford a 600.00 VIP ticket you can afford deodorant and a t-shirt that isn't crumbling off your back. That's a very general description of a great many people.
It's horror stories like this that have kept me away from any kind of geek convention. I'm pretty tolerant of all people in all forms, but one thing I can't get past is poor hygiene. I suffer from migraines, and olfactory "discomfort" is their biggest trigger. In other words, people who smell bad literally make me sick. I know it's probably a physiological thing and my problem, but it is what it is.

And to be frank, I don't know what is with nerds and not talking the occasional five minutes to hop in the shower.
Some American conventions have had to make a video about this (so I've heard) to tell the fans that they should bathe more (when I go, I bathe all three days so I don't stink badly) and some have also announced a 'we will ban you if you do stink and haven't bathed' rule.
I've been to tons of American conventions, and have never seen any such video, or heard any such announcement.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:15 PM   #220
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

1001001 wrote: View Post

Some American conventions have had to make a video about this (so I've heard) to tell the fans that they should bathe more (when I go, I bathe all three days so I don't stink badly) and some have also announced a 'we will ban you if you do stink and haven't bathed' rule.
I've been to tons of American conventions, and have never seen any such video, or heard any such announcement.
It plays at Dragon*Con every year, and has for at least the last five years. It's also in the program book for at least a half-dozen conventions I can think of off the top of my head.
Old May 2 2013, 04:01 PM   #221
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

OmahaStar wrote: View Post

It plays at Dragon*Con every year, and has for at least the last five years. It's also in the program book for at least a half-dozen conventions I can think of off the top of my head.
Seriously? Wow...

I've only been to Creation Conventions. I never heard anything like that, nor had any problem with other convention attendees.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:05 PM   #222
Harvey
Admiral

Creation wouldn't let bad hygiene get in the way of making a buck.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 05:33 PM   #223
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

OmahaStar wrote: View Post

Seriously? Wow...

I've only been to Creation Conventions. I never heard anything like that, nor had any problem with other convention attendees.
Harvey wrote: View Post
Creation wouldn't let bad hygiene get in the way of making a buck.
Both Creation and Hobbystar (their Canadian counterpart) could care less about that; that's why things like overcrowding and bad scheduling happen (in addition to the rough and rude treatment of people who line up for autographs and other nastiness that goes on at corporate-run cons like these.) None of this ever happened at the fan-run ones that I've been going to for most of my life, which should tell you something about those.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 03:36 AM   #224
LoneDragon
Lieutenant

Im a little disappointed reading about Brent Spiner in this thread as Data is my all time favorite Trek character! Kind of expected it about Shatner and Beltran though...if I saw Beltran treating people like crap, I'd probably shout "Chakotay sucks!"

Id really love to meet Picardo and DeLancie! The only famous person I've ever met is "Weird Al" Yankovic(hes a hell of a nice guy if youre wondering).

I'd almost be afraid to meet Johnathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis...because I know Id start gushing about Gargoyles.

If I ever got Patrick Stewart's autograph, Id ask him to write "There are four lights!"

I doubt a poor shmoe like me could ever afford to go to a convention though...

Has anyone ever asked Brent Spiner how a super intelligent android couldnt tell Spot was female until she got pregnant?
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 03:40 AM   #225
LoneDragon
Lieutenant

Also. I didnt see any mention of Colm Meany in the entire thread...I guess he doesnt do the convention thing?
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote