USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 16 2013, 03:54 PM   #136
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Re: Was moving 'The Next Generation' over to movies a bad decision?

^ A big screen adaptation of "Spock's Brain."
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 05:53 PM   #137
Gaith
Rear Admiral

CoveTom wrote: View Post
While I agree, the problem is that Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner would have never agreed to the films being ensemble pieces like the series was. For that matter, neither would Paramount. By the time of the films, they were considered "the big stars" and, as such, they got the major plotlines and also a lot of input into the stories. Which hurt the stories, IMHO.

First Contact did the best job of the four films, IMHO, at utilizing the ensemble, but even that was a bit too much of the Picard and Data show for my tastes.
Yeah, FC starts strong, but the absurdly melodramtic Picard and Data and Evil Hottie third act just scuttles it for me. For moi, Generations remains the best.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 07:01 PM   #138
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Gaith wrote: View Post
For moi, Generations remains the best.
It's sad to say, but I think Nemesis is aging the best out of the four TNG film outings. It definitely has a "big-screen" feel the other films lack.

Though Generations gets points for showing us the Enterprise-D on the big-screen.
Old April 16 2013, 08:17 PM   #139
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It wasn't a mistake to move the TNG franchise to the big screen, as TNG was fizzling out and I think it's good they ended on a high note. The mistake was not in deciding to put the franchise on the big screen, but in how they did it.

Generations just wasn't well thought out and the plot really made no sense. A climax of three old guys wrestling on a mountain top just falls flat too. Not to mention Kirk died like that? I can't blame Shatner at all for resurrecting Kirk in his novels.

First Contact... well it was the high water mark. Still a lot of plot holes and inconsistencies, but this was the franchises best attempt at pulling off an action flick. Though turning Picard into an action hero just isn't convincing.

Insurrection... another plot that makes no sense at all and just has the feel of a TNG episode... and not a very good one. But hey the Riker/Troi fans finally get something after over ten years.

Nemesis... and the final nail in the coffin. Wonderful close up shots that just show us how old our heroes(and the franchise) have gotten. Everyone in this movie is just dumb... or the plot makes no sense, take your pick. The graphics and effects were great, but even the Enterprise and Scimitar exchanging fire for... 30 minutes... gets dull.
Old April 17 2013, 10:20 PM   #140
Third Nacelle
Captain

I liked Generations and First Contact, not so much Insurrection and Nemesis, but really pretty meh about all four of them. Generations seemed sort of weird and incomplete, but it was good seeing good old 1701-D one last time. First Contact was really entertaining, but that's about it. We've all read Moby Dick in tenth grade - we get it. The last two simply felt like they were making movies because they were obligated to make movies.

I've never felt like Star Trek translated well to the big screen. I like the TOS movies (well four of them) well enough, but they lost the campy fun and color of the series. The TNG movies lost the thoughtfulness. If I were to take every episode and movie of Star Trek ever made and list them in order of most to least favorite, I'd probably list about 300 TV episodes before hitting the first movie.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 01:25 PM   #141
Trek Survivor
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
For moi, Generations remains the best.
It's sad to say, but I think Nemesis is aging the best out of the four TNG film outings. It definitely has a "big-screen" feel the other films lack.

Though Generations gets points for showing us the Enterprise-D on the big-screen.
I agree that "Nemesis" looks great.
Old April 22 2013, 01:02 PM   #142
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I don't think it was a mistake.
Imagine if it had been a success - they had to try.

I dislike Generations of course because they killed Kirk (lamely).

I thought INS to be cliche ridden with the kid and his pet thing. I can't remember. I mostly like Data but hate it when he goes OTT and thought him most unfunny.

There wasn't that much wrong with FC or NEM IMO. Maybe NEM had too much Romulan politics for the casual viewer but I was able to pick it up.

I think timing has a lot to do with it. If the movies came out now I think they would be better received.

And look at the Transformer and Avenger movies. They're pretty much rubbish, just with great special effects but are massive hits at the box office. Would anyone say either of these movies changed their lives? All of the Star Trek movies are better than these IMO even the worst ones.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 11:30 PM   #143
Flake
Commodore

Well they had to give it a go because it made sense from a business POV. The salarys of the actors would go through the roof if they renegotiated another 5 or 6 year contract. TNG started with almost 30 million viewers and finished with over 30 million viewers, if they could get 35 million people into the cinema (or 17.5million people see it twice!) they would make nearly $150 million in 1994 money!

In the end 18 million tickets where sold for Generations and 21 million sold for First Contact. (Insurrection 15m, Nemesis.... 7m) so apart from Nemesis it worked out ok for Paramount.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 01:20 AM   #144
Danger Ace
Commander

Lance wrote:
Was moving 'The Next Generation' over to movies a bad decision?
No. Sadly, however, The Next Generation's elevation to the silver screen was, by and large, poorly executed. So, in principle, TNG's promotion was a sound next step, but, in practice, turned out to be more failure than success. C'est la vie.

Samething goes for Enterprise. The premise of a prequel and temporal cold-war in and of themselves weren't bad ways to go. The executions of those ideas, however were not good.

Ultimately the mishandling of The Next Gen's big screen adventures and Enterprise's small screen exploits proved detrimental to the franchise as a whole. I believe They failed because of "attitude." An attitude of laziness and self-conscious disbelief in what they were doing which led to a collapse in the internal structural integrity of what Star Trek is, was and should be - that's were it all went wrong (by my estimation).

Even after saying that though, If I were to go back in time and had the power ... would I greenlight TNG going big and the creation of Enterprise? Yes, I would - because in both cases they were sound moves and could/should have come up aces.

In fact, I would say they beat the odds by failing. No series, either film or television, has ever enjoyed more good will and mass affection then these two projects wherein a lot was expected, too little was ultimately delivered, but much was forgiven ... making 2009's rebirth possible.

So, bigger picture, the journey from there to here hasn't been so bad and, come hell or high water, the company of "Star Trek" devotees has made it all a fan-bloody-tastic experience. No regrets. Salute!
Old April 23 2013, 05:57 AM   #145
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think TNG movie made sense. TOS cast were aging, and there's a point where action sequences don't work anymore. There's a reason Sean Connery is not playing James Bond anymore. They needed a new movie cast. The problem was execution. Picard was never really that action based character. All of a sudden, Ricker stopped going on away missions, and Picard did that. In all honestly, Riker and Worf should have been the ones doing the action sequence, and Picard as the general planning the mission on the ship.
wingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 05:29 PM   #146
xvicente
Commander

It was not a mistake to make movies, it was for other reasons they didn't came out very good. One of them it was, after 7 seasons of TNG and some more of DS9, it was impossible for the producers to shake the tv assembly-line, mass-production mindset off.

Last edited by xvicente; April 27 2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: I have my reasons
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 01:30 AM   #147
Mojochi
Commodore

Moving them to the cinema wasn't the bad idea. Making the films so godawful formulaic was
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 08:15 AM   #148
Cadet49
Lieutenant Commander

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Short answer? Yes.

TNG's "sophistication" (for lack of a better term) was just too heavy for the cinematic world. TPTB were force to reinvent the series to be like the swashbuckling adventure TOS was and it just didn't work. I've often said that most of TNG's action scenes (or at least FC, INS, NEM) literally looked like grown men in the backyard playing astronauts and aliens with their ray-gun toys. It was just too hard to take seriously, which is why I think GEN, even with all its problems, is the best of the lot.

Somethings have no business on the big screen. Because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should do a thing. Or something. I'm sure that, throughout TV history, there have been countless series where someone said "Let's make a movie!" and everyone else in the room facepalmed. TNG should have been one such series.
I absolutely agree. TNG was a great show, but I felt it never worked in movies - I also felt Generations was the best one, despite its flaws, like 'Mr. Tricorder' bit, because it is the only one where the TNG characters still seemed in role from the TV Series - example: in FC and Ins, Picard suddenly became an "action" captain, who bucked orders to do what HE wanted, which is very different from the Picard we knew in the series, and never rung as "authentic" to me ... I tend to ignore these movies, and focus on the televised material...
Cadet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 08:18 AM   #149
Cadet49
Lieutenant Commander

wingsabre wrote: View Post
I think TNG movie made sense. TOS cast were aging, and there's a point where action sequences don't work anymore. There's a reason Sean Connery is not playing James Bond anymore. They needed a new movie cast. The problem was execution. Picard was never really that action based character. All of a sudden, Ricker stopped going on away missions, and Picard did that. In all honestly, Riker and Worf should have been the ones doing the action sequence, and Picard as the general planning the mission on the ship.
Absolutely! This was my biggest peeve with these movies, the component that made them feel to me like the people were all out of character - I also never pictured Worf from the TV show threatening to kill Picard where he stands, "if he was any other man"
Cadet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 03:01 AM   #150
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

Cadet49 wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Short answer? Yes.

TNG's "sophistication" (for lack of a better term) was just too heavy for the cinematic world. TPTB were force to reinvent the series to be like the swashbuckling adventure TOS was and it just didn't work. I've often said that most of TNG's action scenes (or at least FC, INS, NEM) literally looked like grown men in the backyard playing astronauts and aliens with their ray-gun toys. It was just too hard to take seriously, which is why I think GEN, even with all its problems, is the best of the lot.

Somethings have no business on the big screen. Because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should do a thing. Or something. I'm sure that, throughout TV history, there have been countless series where someone said "Let's make a movie!" and everyone else in the room facepalmed. TNG should have been one such series.
I absolutely agree. TNG was a great show, but I felt it never worked in movies - I also felt Generations was the best one, despite its flaws, like 'Mr. Tricorder' bit, because it is the only one where the TNG characters still seemed in role from the TV Series - example: in FC and Ins, Picard suddenly became an "action" captain, who bucked orders to do what HE wanted, which is very different from the Picard we knew in the series, and never rung as "authentic" to me ... I tend to ignore these movies, and focus on the televised material...
But there are serveral episodes in which Picards does the Action Jackson. The one with the terrorists on board, during the cleansing of the Enterprise, for example.

On a side note: the first drafts of FC had Riker to be on board the Enterprise and Picard doing the refitting on the planet.
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote