RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 494
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 3 2013, 06:34 PM   #751
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

The overall look of the still image is what makes it pretty clear that it's CGI. I haven't seen it in motion yet but I'd wager it looks more authentic when in motion. The glow from the impulse engine kind of gives it away too.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:46 PM   #752
davejames
Vice Admiral

As good as it was, the CG on BSG still looked pretty CG to me. This shot of the Enterprise looks at least as good as that, I think.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:52 PM   #753
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I think 50% is the lighting. But I think the other 50% is the sharpness. The CGI is just too crisp. The edges are sharp and too clean. There's no softness to them. Case in point:

CGI:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_198.jpg

Physical model:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_194.jpg

Notice with the neck of the real thing, there's a slight aura around it. With the CGI model, it's a crisp line that looks artificial. When there's a fake human or something closely resembling a human, there's a phenomenon called "Uncanny Valley". I'd say this is uncanny valley for a physical model. They're trying so hard to make it look like the real thing that it looks fake.

That particular CGI shot was greatly improved in BOBW Part II. I think they softened the model slightly and improved the lighting. It's much much closer to looking like the real thing.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:58 PM   #754
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yep. I've heard some F/X studios will render at 720p just to add the softness to it.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 08:12 PM   #755
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

yousirname wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
I may be defining it too narrowly, but I think the term genocide doesn't quite cover the eradication of an entire taxon or species. As I understand it, it only covers groups within a species (ethnic, religious, etc.). What Kevin did is more like an artificially imposed, immediate, galaxy-wide extinction event. Looked at this way, Picard would be technically correct that they had no law to fit the crime because as far as he knew nothing like it had ever occurred before.
It needn't be 'genocide', if that's the case. It's still murder, isn't it? Surely they have laws against murder.

It always felt to me that that speech was sort of tacked on, because the truth of the matter is the Federation doesn't have the ability to confine the guy. As far as I can see, it would be like trying to put Q in a jail cell.
All good points. Possibly he meant that Federation laws only allow prosecution of murder when physical evidence of murder is present? Because Kevin removed the entire species by thought, and the only evidence was his word, they'd never be able to prosecute him in court.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 08:18 PM   #756
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Flake wrote: View Post
In Deja Q, Riker tells Worf to contact all ships in the sector and have them rendezvous and join in relief efforts. We can see Worf responding to Riker in the background but we cannot hear the dialogue. Its not there !

Just checked the DVD and this was a mistake in the original run! Well done for being so authentic, CBS-D Why did I not notice this until the HD version?
Hmm. I'll need to check it, but is it possible it was always intended to be that way? I don't remember the shot, but sometimes you don't need to hear dialogue. Hitchcock famously did this numerous times.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 08:29 PM   #757
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Who Watcher's the Watchers looked great. Now onto The Bonding, with commentary w/ Okuda and RDM

-Chris
Old May 3 2013, 09:47 PM   #758
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Who Watches the Watchers is the first episode I views. Always a favorite. The outdoor location footage is fantastic. I have been to Vasquez Rocks, it looked so detailed here it reminded me of being there.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 09:47 PM   #759
cbspock
Rear Admiral

The commentary on The Bonding is worth the listen. Also, I noticed in Booby Trap, the welding effects in the saucer of the under construction Enterprise on the holodeck when Geordi first looks at it.

-Chris
Old May 3 2013, 09:57 PM   #760
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Interesting they didn't fix the missing port thruster effect in booby trap when they are trying to get out of the debris field.

-Chris
Old May 3 2013, 09:59 PM   #761
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

cbspock wrote: View Post
Also, I noticed in Booby Trap, the welding effects in the saucer of the under construction Enterprise on the holodeck when Geordi first looks at it.
I noticed that for the first time also. At first, I thought it was a flaw in the video. Neat effect.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 10:17 PM   #762
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Just finished Survivors, I haven't seen this episode in years. It is interesting that Picard says that the Federation has no laws to fit the alien's crime??? So the Federation has no laws against Genocide????? If that is the case, why did Picard has such a tough time in I Borg??? In this episode Picard didn't know if the alien should be commended or punished? TNG was rife with this moral equivalence non-sense from time to time.

-Chris
I may be defining it too narrowly, but I think the term genocide doesn't quite cover the eradication of an entire taxon or species. As I understand it, it only covers groups within a species (ethnic, religious, etc.). What Kevin did is more like an artificially imposed, immediate, galaxy-wide extinction event. Looked at this way, Picard would be technically correct that they had no law to fit the crime because as far as he knew nothing like it had ever occurred before.

Really??? Then what was Picard's hang up with wiping out the Borg?

-Chris
Well, to be fair, Picard still unequivocally labels what Kevin did a crime (i.e. wrong). Whether or not there was a current Federation law that covered it (and as yousirname and davejames point out, how exactly do you punish or sentence a being who can wipe out an entire species with a single thought?). Once Picard figured out that Kevin was the only living thing on Rana IV and in fact wasn't human at all, his only concern was to get help for Troi and force him to confess -- the only realistic punishment available. His secret was out and now he'd have to live with it for eternity.

I assume Picard's hang up with wiping out the Borg was due to him having a conscience -- he recognized it would be immoral. Maybe this is naive, but I'd like to believe that most people are moral and good, not because they fear punishment by the state if they were caught committing a crime, but because they simply have no burning desire to hurt or wrong others.
Old May 3 2013, 10:17 PM   #763
swaaye
Lieutenant Commander

I noticed new footage in The High Ground. The terrorist leader has a bit longer discussion with his subordinate who was detained, about Riker's desire to negotiate for Crusher's release.

Also I noticed in BoBW a warp flyby of the D that appears CG. It sticks out because it has some unique motion blur.

And I too never noticed the early S3 uniform's horizontal seams until now.

Watching these shows in HD is thrilling.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 10:19 PM   #764
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

swaaye wrote: View Post
I noticed new footage in The High Ground. The terrorist leader has a bit longer discussion with his subordinate who was detained, about Riker's desire to negotiate for Crusher's release.
Is it actually new footage or restored footage that was cut when the series went into syndication?
Old May 3 2013, 11:13 PM   #765
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
or restored footage that was cut when the series went into syndication?
That should be the case otherwise they would've made a deal of it.
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote