Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 3 2013, 08:49 AM   #46
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Is This The Next Doctor?

As far as I remember the rumblings began on the Friday before he was announced on the Saturday. The big difference was we did at least know for sure a new Doctor was going to be cast, even if we didn't know who it was.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 02:07 PM   #47
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, I seem to recall that people were taken totally by surprise when Smith was announced, since they couldn't believe that someone so young and obscure would get the part.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 09:36 PM   #48
The Wormhole
Admiral

I know I never heard the name "Matt Smith" before his casting was officially announced.
Old May 3 2013, 10:19 PM   #49
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I know I never heard the name "Matt Smith" before his casting was officially announced.
Yea, and I remember after the first picture was released of him, the internet was ablaze with "Oh, GAWD, a Teenage Emo Doctor"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 10:41 PM   #50
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I remember first seeing him on dr who confidential, and I was round a freinds house with other freinds, and one freind said "he's nowhere near as good as the old doctor", and I thought why not give him a chance, and when I heard he was going to wear a long leather coat, I thought "ok, he's gonna be cool!", and this was before I knew the tardis and sonic screwdriver and so on were changing, so i thought the whole idea suited the show. A while later I first saw the doctors bow tie and geography teacher outfit and I approved. When I saw Smith in the brief scene in the end of time, I instantly thought this guy's crazy, he's so gonna become my favourite doctor, how wrong I was. I blame Moffat.

Bt still, hope with doctor #12. I hav a feeling Smith will last a while longer though.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 11:22 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer

I'd actually seen him a few years earlier in The Jewel in the Smoke with Billie Piper, but I didn't realize that until I read it somewhere, because I hadn't remembered the name or much else about the production (except how lame it was to do something called The Sally Lockhart Mysteries and just have Sally stand around while her sidekicks did all the mystery-solving).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 01:01 AM   #52
diankra
Commodore

Similarly, my reaction was 'Oh, it's that guy from Party Animals. Didn't know that was who Matt Smith was." Even though I'd had to caption a Party Animals photo of him a few months earlier...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 01:15 AM   #53
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, and I remember after the first picture was released of him, the internet was ablaze with "Oh, GAWD, a Teenage Emo Doctor"
And quite a few thought his own all-black ensemble he was wearing in that picture was actually going to be his outfit on the show, so he was labeled "the Goth Doctor" as well.
Old May 4 2013, 07:34 AM   #54
Redfern
Commodore

Conversely, when I saw the first images of Eccleston way back in late 2004 in his leather jacket and crew-cut, I thought, "Hmm, the production must want to keep the Doctor's appearance a secret until the debut."

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 09:46 AM   #55
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
And quite a few thought his own all-black ensemble he was wearing in that picture was actually going to be his outfit on the show, so he was labeled "the Goth Doctor" as well.
I would have loved that! Now I want a goth doctor!!!!!
Old May 4 2013, 02:24 PM   #56
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Oh yea... I had forgotten all about that, though now, that you've reminded me, and I think back, I believe most of those who surmised he would be Goth were happier about it than those who surmised Emo Teenager, LOL

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 06:02 PM   #57
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Sagart wrote: View Post
Dear God, the last time I saw a forehead like that, it was on the guy who'd discovered fire. He reminds me of Peter Boyle in 'Young Frankenstein'

Lazy choice by the Beeb - a chance to really shake up the character and they're sucking up to their young girl audience.

Pity.
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Who the fuck is Matt Smith?! Out of all the good people rumoured they pick this guy?

WOW he looks like a professor. love the bowtie

Old May 5 2013, 06:30 PM   #58
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Back to the main subject, I think I found the site where Ben Daniels was rumoured to be doctor #12 here. I'd take this with a pinch of salt, the site looks very ameaturish, I think he may just be teasing and is probably whom he wants to be the new doctor.