To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 1 2013, 09:08 PM   #16
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Your 'Not Only is it Not A Guilty Pleasure' movie/episode

Yeah, though there's certainly been some criticism of its premise, I haven't noticed any mass dislike for Darmok, either. Certainly nowhere near the scale of Spock's Brain, STV, Nemesis, or even Insurrection, not to mention my guilty pleasure.
Old May 1 2013, 11:44 PM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

My mileage varies on the Ferengi eps. In general, I like the ones, such as "House of Quark" or "Little Green Men," where the humor comes from the Ferengi interacting with other cultures, but the all-Ferengi eps, involving the Grand Nagus or Quark's family troubles, tend to be more exhausting than amusing.

The Ferengi are like spice; they add color and flavor, but a little goes a long way.
Old May 1 2013, 11:53 PM   #18
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Mine is The Way to Eden.
Elias Vaughn wrote: View Post
Every Ferengi episode of DS9.

They're so much fun but I often feel like I'm the only one who realizes that.
Both of these for me. Well, ok, I can sorta understand the hate for the Ferengi. Not everyone appreciates comic relief to the same extent. Heck, I don't even appreciate it to the same extent week to week myself.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:19 AM   #19
Elias Vaughn
Captain

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Every Ferengi episode of DS9.

They're so much fun but I often feel like I'm the only one who realizes that.
I'm with you on that one, I always liked those.. except maybe Profit and Lace.
Same here. I love almost all the Ferengi episodes, except "Profit and Lace". Just thinking about Quark as a woman makes my flesh crawl.
I love Profit and Lace.

:/
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 05:23 AM   #20
Ryva Brall
Commander

I love Profit and Lace.

:/
Really? Oops. Sorry, I was just expressing my own personal opinion. I realize not everyone feels the way I do. And I apologize for my use of the barfing emoticon.
Old May 2 2013, 05:39 AM   #21
I am not Spock
Commodore

Generations is one, for me. I saw it when I was 13, so I love that movie. It has a special place for me. Now that I'm older, I can see that it has its flaws, but I still enjoy it a lot.

Much of Voyager. I know it was not as well executed as it could have been, but for the most part, I enjoyed the series.

Search For Spock. Am I the only person who thinks this movie is pretty good, and a worthy follow up to TWOK?
Old May 2 2013, 09:14 AM   #22
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

Generations. It was the first Star Trek movie I went to see in the theater on my own (and one of the only movies that I had to stand in line to get tickets for...I mean the line was around the building!)

So I've always enjoyed it as I felt it was kind of when I really started liking Trek on my own and not because I grew up watching TOS reruns and then TNG when it first aired with my parents.
Old May 2 2013, 11:05 PM   #23
Dale Sams
Captain

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Generations is one, for me. I saw it when I was 13, so I love that movie. It has a special place for me. Now that I'm older, I can see that it has its flaws, but I still enjoy it a lot.

Much of Voyager. I know it was not as well executed as it could have been, but for the most part, I enjoyed the series.

Search For Spock. Am I the only person who thinks this movie is pretty good, and a worthy follow up to TWOK?
I think Search for Spock is great!
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 11:13 PM   #24
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I enjoy Voyager. It was important to both my daughters too.

I like Way to Eden, but I understand the hate.

I love Spectre of the Gun for its stylistic cool, and I do not understand the hate it gets from some people.
Old May 3 2013, 12:17 AM   #25
Melakon
Vice Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
. . .I like Way to Eden, but I understand the hate.
I thought the space hippies element was pretty lame (though that's a modern term) when I saw it in 1969. But Sevrin's anger and frustration for being treated as a criminal because he was the carrier of a dangerous disease he wasn't responsible for, and that his freedom was limited by law, was understandable.
I love Spectre of the Gun for its stylistic cool, and I do not understand the hate it gets from some people.
Same here. The partial sets, the music, the direction/cinematography all add to the surrealism. The script had some rough spots, but it's a visually interesting show to watch.
Old May 3 2013, 01:57 AM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Omega Glory.

I find it a great episode and think the Bible/Flag/U.S. Constitution ending ruining it is bullshit. It's easy to imagine an Earth vessel crashing on Omega IV and finding a war battered culture that shared similar values and adopted the Earth relics as their own. Plus, Morgan Woodward owns the screen as Captain Ron Tracy.
Old May 3 2013, 03:36 AM   #27
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Omega Glory.

I find it a great episode and think the Bible/Flag/U.S. Constitution ending ruining it is bullshit. It's easy to imagine an Earth vessel crashing on Omega IV and finding a war battered culture that shared similar values and adopted the Earth relics as their own. Plus, Morgan Woodward owns the screen as Captain Ron Tracy.

The Omega Glory is mine as well. I love the "starship captain gone rogue" story. As for the ending.... aside from the wanky sounding "Star Spangled Banner", I don't have a big problem with it.

I generally take "Star Trek" on it's own terms. I don't have a problem with Hodgkins Law because in this fictional universe it exists and there's planets with alternate earths or societies and I don't get worked up about it.
Old May 3 2013, 06:51 PM   #28
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I like Insurrection. WHile I admit it isn't the strongest movie of the bunch, I found much to appreciate about it.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 07:30 PM   #29
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

I am not Spock wrote: View Post

SFS has always been one of my favorite TOS Films. I was shocked when I first heard people saying that it was one of the "bad Trek films" I'm also surprised when people complain about them undoing Spock's death, because when I saw TWOK when I was 9 I came out of the theater with several theories on how he would return in ST III. I never had a doubt that he would be back.

SFS seems to me to be the flip side of the Menagerie, with Kirk and Crew doing whatever they can and possibly sacrificing everything for Spock, just as he was willing to risk everything to help Captain Pike.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 03:23 AM   #30
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I like Insurrection. WHile I admit it isn't the strongest movie of the bunch, I found much to appreciate about it.
It was very Star Trek. The most TNG of all their movies. "It's just a big TV episode," say the naysayers.

Exactly -- you liked the show, so . . . wouldn't you like a movie that is like the show you like??

It's got a good moral dilemma people are still probably arguing about on this BBS. And a sense of wonder and fun.

Not sayin it's great. But, I liked it new and like it now. Probably my fave TNG.