Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate Iron Man 3
Excellent 72 45.86%
Above Average 61 38.85%
Average 16 10.19%
Below Average 4 2.55%
Poor 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1 2013, 03:45 AM   #31
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

It was an entertaining movie. That said, I'd say it was the weakest of the three movies. The plot was just so all over the place in introducing and removing plot elements. RDJ pulled it off well, and he was always fun to watch though. The ending... yeah right, that won't stick.
Old May 2 2013, 10:22 PM   #32
Dream
Admiral

My Funko Avengers Movie Wobbler Bobble Heads that I ordered on Amazon just arrived in the mail today! I love how much Cap looks like Chris Evans and Thor looks like Chris Hemsworth. Iron Man and Hulk look cool too!

I'm now ready for IM3!

Last edited by Dream; May 3 2013 at 06:56 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 04:51 AM   #33
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Anyone hear about the exclusive Chinese edition? I really want to see that, sounds surreal.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:07 AM   #34
EyalM
Captain

The movie was OK, but not much more then that, in my opinion.

I really like the humor, RDJ does a great job with his lines (not surprising).
The villains were a credible threat in terms of how they match up to iron man, although a bit one note in their abilities.

The plot is a mixed bag. I kept wondering where it will go next, which is good. But looking back, I feel like it went nowhere. I still can't figure out what the bad guy's motivation was for what he did.

The 3D is superfluous. There isn't that much action in the movie (at least in relation to it's run time), so if were to see it again I'll go to a regular screening.
Old May 3 2013, 06:37 AM   #35
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I think I enjoyed it more than the first one. Yeah, it's your basic summer superhero movie, but it was a cut above. The Mirrorball Man summed it up nicely… Superhero action, drama, buddy cop stuff and comedy. Lots of it too. If I were to compare this one to the other installments, I'd say that it was like getting the usual sundae with extra fudge. And above all, it took full advantage of Robert Downey Jr's charisma to make it all work. An easy excellent.

Then there's The Mandarin. I loved the grainy look in his initial scenes and found him to be pretty menacing. Then there was the big twist. Absolutely brilliant. It was so absurd I didn't even believe it at first. This film series has played fast and loose with the Iron Man mythos, but this one takes the cake and Ben Kingsley totally and utterly killed it.

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
I remember when the first movie came out, people were wondering how they could do The Mandarin and many said he wouldn't work. Well, they pulled it off and did so in a way that's totally consistent with how this version of Iron Man has been done.

Ethros wrote: View Post
I'm blue da ba dee da ba die!
Loved that too.

Emh wrote: View Post
The falling passengers sequence was incredibly intense and I expected only four people would survive (despite what the trailers had us believing), although I'm sure the way survived wasn't actually possible.
Agreed. The landing in the water was sort of like the part in Speed where the bus jumped the gap in the ramp, if you know what I mean, but the whole sequence was still great. I especially loved how realistic the fall looked.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 07:15 AM   #36
.:: TSN ::.
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Anyone hear about the exclusive Chinese edition? I really want to see that, sounds surreal.
Nothing special..
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...man-3-revealed
.:: TSN ::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 11:35 AM   #37
Infern0
Captain

This has been out for a few days here in NZ.

I am kind of a fan of the comics, and a big fan of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe". So my views on it are probably appropriate for people like that.

I really liked the movie overall, a very entertaining popcorn blockbuster. Everybody in the film did a very good acting job, Don Chedale's character was fleshed out a lot which was nice to see, and everybody had something to do, they even had Gwyneth Paltrow kicking ass in an action scene which was epic. And might I say Mrs Paltrow is looking MIGHTY fine for a woman north of 40, she puts those half her age (like me) to shame!

Robert Downey Jr did a splendid job, and his interactions with an unlikely "sidekick" of sorts were comedy gold. Otherwise Ben Kingsley really steals the show in a manner you will NOT see coming.

The Action scenes were fantastic as always, and although there is some clumsy execution on one emotional scene near the end, the whole film comes together very nicely.

You may have guessed by now, i'm not very good at reviewing movies, but i'd recommend anyone to go see this one, it's a movie almost anyone will enjoy and almost nobody will find offensive.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:03 PM   #38
Dream
Admiral

I decided to go to a Thursday night showing after all. Went at 11:30 PM to one of the farther away, but nicer stadium theaters in town.

This review will have SPOILERS.

I thought it was excellent. Extremis was one of the more famous storylines from the comics, and this was an interesting loose adaption. I liked that IM3 dealt with the aftermath of the Avengers with how Tony reacted to almost dying in New York. IM3 made up for the lackluster second movie, and was nearly as good as the first movie.

Robert Downey Jr was perfect as Tony Stark as always. This man just has it on whenever he is playing the character. There were plenty of laughs from the audience whenever he said something or did something unexpected. I liked his friendship with the boy, Harley. Most child actors in movies like this tend to be annoying as heck, but they were great together. Stark himself acts like a boy at times even with his genius intellect, and they had many fun scenes.

Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle certainly improved from the second movie. They both got much more to do too. It was great how Pepper was such a badass at the end and ended up saving herself. Paltrow is still in great shape, and I admit that I was checking her out during all the scenes with her restrained to the table. We also got plenty of Rhodes being heroic too, which was lacking in the second movie. I missed the War Machine suit, though the new Iron Patriot suit was cool too.

Killian was an interesting bad guy. I guess using a cooperate villain was too hard not to use for the writers. But I think Guy Pearce knocked it out of the park and almost was as good as Bridges was as Obadiah Stane from the first movie. The final twist with the main villain might have pissed off some comic fans, but I didn't mind. Ben Kingsley was good playing both the menacing and humorous parts of his character. I choose to think that the Mandarin with the magic rings is still out there, and will face Stark in the distant future.

The action was incredible and was the best in the series. You can definitely tell that Shane Black has more experience with action compared to Jon Favreau. The standout scene was Iron Man saving the falling people from Air Force One. I loved the constant change of Iron Man suits during the climax. However, it was a little unnerving seeing them being cut apart like hot butter!

The only thing I felt could have been better was if they had used Maya more. She was barely in it for someone who was so important to the story. Rebecca Hall is hot, and I wanted to see more of her. Her exit was so abrupt.

The ending felt pretty definite, but I have my doubts that it is really over for the character. The credits was cool showing footage from all three Iron Man movies. It made me feel nostalgic. The post credit scene was hilarious! It was definitely worth staying though the entire credits for, and I was very glad not to have been spoiled! Plenty of people stayed too!
Old May 3 2013, 12:05 PM   #39
Infern0
Captain

^^^^^^^^^

I loved the constant change of Iron Man suits during the climax. However, it was a little unnerving seeing them being cut apart like hot butter!
Agree on this I thought it was a bit dumb.

Iron Man's old suit could toe it with THOR (if only for a few minutes) yet they get smashed up easily by extremis thugs. Minor complaint though.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:14 PM   #40
Dream
Admiral

Infern0 wrote: View Post
Agree on this I thought it was a bit dumb.

Iron Man's old suit could toe it with THOR (if only for a few minutes) yet they get smashed up easily by extremis thugs. Minor complaint though.
I know that they have to make things dangerous for the hero for the climax, but damn it felt like the suits were made of paper.

However, I really loved that we got way more Tony Stark outside the suit action scenes. They really stepped up in the action department for IM3.
Old May 3 2013, 02:39 PM   #41
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I've been reading the IMDb boards and it looks like a number of people aren't happy with The Mandarin. One even claimed to have walked out because of what they did with the character.
Old May 3 2013, 04:35 PM   #42
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Saw it last night, in 3-D

Rated: Above Average, B-

Tony starts with a monologue, like he's talking aloud to get it all straight. I felt the movie opened well with the flashback to Bern which was mentioned in the first film and the surprise cameo by Yinsen was great. After that I wondered if we might see Whiplash and/or his father as well just hanging around the punch bowl or something.

The action was top notch and the f/x remains in top form so no issues there.
When Tony arrives in TN and has broken into the garage and is confronted by the 11/12yr old with a potato gun someone broke he calm of the theater and said, "It's TN, he'd have a real gun Hollywood."

My big gripe with the film is that I feel Marvel Studios made their first real big mistake with Mandarin. This has been teased since IM1, the trailers clearly made him out to be a threat. He's also one of it not the TOP Iron Man foe. And Marvel made him in his first big screen appearance of their "Luthor/Joker" to their flagship character into a joke. They "Bane-ed" him. Gave us a whimper shadow like version of the character that is in the B&R of '98 did to Bane. WTF Marvel?
I suspect GA will not care cause they have no vested interest or knowledge of the character by and large.

The all out armor battle was great, Cheadle had lots to do in the last half of the film and at times I found myself as interested in what he was doing. I like how they address that somethings are "government business, not superhero business" as a way to address this to the audience if anyone wonders "where at the Avengers" to face this terrorist threat.

The post credit scene was great. It did answer something fandom noticed in the closing moments of The Avengers. While I would have liked some not towards something else unspooling in Phase 2 this was a nice piece as it also ties right back into the start of the film.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 05:15 PM   #43
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I've been reading the IMDb boards and it looks like a number of people aren't happy with The Mandarin. One even claimed to have walked out because of what they did with the character.
Ever noticed that everyone on the IMDb boards are kids? And by that I don't mean that they're childish, I mean that they're actually children?

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I suspect GA will not care cause they have no vested interest or knowledge of the character by and large.
Nor should they care because the character in the movie is more interesting and more entertaining than the awkward Fu Manchu caricature from the comic books.
Old May 3 2013, 05:23 PM   #44
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Ever noticed that everyone on the IMDb boards are kids? And by that I don't mean that they're childish, I mean that they're actually children?
I hadn't noticed. I'll have to look out for that.
Old May 3 2013, 06:13 PM   #45
Captrek
Rear Admiral

What is going on with Jon Favreau? I learned only last night that he didn't direct. He's almost written out, his character spending most of the movie in a coma. He has gained about 20 pounds since IM2 and he was overweight then. He looks unattractive and unhealthy.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote