RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,727
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 870
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 21 2013, 03:10 PM   #16
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Ender's Game (2013 Film)

Is Harrison Ford going to wear a fat suit? If you've read the book, you know why I'm asking.
Old February 22 2013, 06:32 AM   #17
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
I am very much against Card's opinions on this, but what does this have to do with his ability to write a good Superman story? Just like a gay writer does not have to write stories about gay issues (eg. Lincoln), an anti-gay writer does not have to write pro-hetero/anti-gay stories.

We really need to get some societal perspective.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 06:59 AM   #18
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I have concerns he can't write a good Superman story because he can no longer write. Uncle Orson was a two-hit wonder.
Old February 22 2013, 07:06 AM   #19
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

Read EG and enjoyed it. Never followed up with the others because the end end of EG got a little too weird for me. And I was told the rest of the books followed those paths as well.

I'll check out the movie, hopefully it'll be decent. But I agree with what others posters say about the author...a bit of a wacko.
Sigokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 02:12 PM   #20
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

trailer debuts

the film's first trailer, which won't play in theaters until Star Trek Into Darkness opens next month. Unlike other major franchise launches, the trailer did not hold back on giving fans a great deal of what they want to see: The zero gravity Battle Room; several battles with Bugger ships; the Maori facial tattoos on Mazer Rackham (Ben Kingsley), etc.
First Trailer For “Ender's Game” Debuts At CinemaCon

Other things we caught in the trailer: Ender saying a very tear-filled goodbye to his sister, Valentine (played by Abigail Breslin). A shot of a group of kids playing baseball in a cold space station hallway while Major Gwen Anderson (Viola Davis) asks, "you don't see them as children, do you?" A few shots of a Formic planet that is red, sandy and full of giant, jutting mountains. It looks like there's a base set up inside the mountains.
source

next month we'll see the trailer May 17.
Card warned fans of the book they should not expect to see a completely faithful adaptation when they buy their movie tickets in November. Subplots like Peter and Valentine’s Internet personas are rumored to be absent from the film.
source
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 03:53 PM   #21
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

First footage from the movie

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 05:18 PM   #22
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I can safely say I never pictured the stars or the battle room looking anything like they conceived in that short clip. I was thinking more a solid off white instead of glass into space.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:08 PM   #23
RoJoHen
Awesome

Icemizer wrote: View Post
I can safely say I never pictured the stars or the battle room looking anything like they conceived in that short clip. I was thinking more a solid off white instead of glass into space.
And I always pictured it looking like a really big version of TNG's Holodeck.
Old May 4 2013, 05:14 PM   #24
Mach5
Rear Admiral

I liked this book for its occasionally disturbing depiction of a child prodigy with a thoroughly damaged psyche.

Somehow I fear this film will omit everything that makes this story stand out.
Old May 5 2013, 06:36 AM   #25
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Icemizer wrote: View Post
And I always pictured it looking like a really big version of TNG's Holodeck.
It's the 21. century, it should look way better.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 10:03 PM   #26
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

The trailer is out.
Old May 7 2013, 10:09 PM   #27
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

I think the trailer looks pretty good, personally. I've only seen it with the sound off, so I can't comment on the music or dialogue. The kids are obviously older than in the book, but aside from that it looks not-too-far from how I imagined it.

I can't believe one of my all-time favorite novels is going to star one of my all-time favorite actors (Harrison Ford).
Old May 7 2013, 10:22 PM   #28
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Not how I imagined it, but I think this could work.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 10:35 PM   #29
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Looks pretty good. I've only read the book once years ago but, aside from the children's ages (which I never thought would be done correctly), it looks mostly accurate from what I recall. However, I can't immediately recall what characters Ben Kingsley or Viola Davis are suppose to be playing.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 10:40 PM   #30
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

It looks good, albeit more slick and colorful than the visuals I imagined when reading the book.