Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 2 2013, 04:25 AM   #1
Christopher
Writer

MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

A new season, a new thread, with a more suitable title.

I'm kind of glad that they revisited their first-ever myth, the JATO Rocket Car, one more time and finally got a definitive result. The catastrophic failure in the 2007 revisit was a heck of a disappointment, and it always seemed unfair that they failed to get a real answer. Here they finally managed to pull it off.

I'm not in the least surprised by the results, though. I mean, of course a car is not going to turn into a viable missile just because you give it rocket thrust. It doesn't have the necessary lift. Indeed, cars' aerodynamics generally give them the opposite of lift, pushing them down so they hold onto the road. Maybe if they'd launched it upside-down it would've gotten a little more air, but it still wouldn't have had any stabilizers or anything. The results we got were pretty much predictable and inevitable. But certainly impressive to watch and to see the aftermath of.

I like the remote-steering system they came up with, and I'm wondering why it took them so long to have the idea of using a monitor to give the remote controller a driver's-eye view. Recently when I was working through the limited selection of MB episodes on Netflix, I found myself wondering why they didn't do their RC that way. Here, they did everything I kept thinking they should do, duplicating the driving experience as closely as feasible. Although I expected that trying to control one moving vehicle while being in another one would confuse Adam (or anyone), and I was right.

The mobile bunker dump truck is really cool, and seems like something they should keep around for future use. I bet they'll keep the portable bombproof control bunker too. They really have come a long way in the past decade. They keep getting more elaborate equipment.

There was also a clip-show special before the premiere. I recorded it but haven't watched it yet.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

The clip show wasn't a clip show, rather it was a rerun of their very first episode, with pop-up notes like "Adam still had those shoes!" - it was fun, but if you've seen ep 1 recently (I did on DVD a few weeeks ago), you're not missing anything.

When the rocket car cleared the ramp and nosed over, my first thought was that their nose weight was too much and they should have left it off. But then I realized that only would have let it nose-up and pinwheel, so never mind. You're right, that thing wasn't going to "fly" no matter what.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Forbin
Admiral

Actually, I feel kinda bad for Jamie - he had to drive the car through the TV monitor, so he didn't actually get to see the event "in person." I was thinking it would have been cooler for him to have driven it from a chopper like the first time, so he could see.
Old May 2 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

^Jamie only drove the car in the test run. In the actual experiment, my understanding is that Jamie was behind the wheel of the dump truck and Adam was operating the RC system. (Which was basically a full-on telepresence rig, so maybe we should call it a car waldo.)

Old May 2 2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Redfern
Commodore

Now, I don't know much about vintage cars (or much of anything it seems), but it was obvious that white Impala was in great condition, so I found it rather painful to see them stripping the vehicle of its pristine cherry red interior to house the structural frame and Grant's robotics.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

^I'm not much of a car person, but even I thought that Impala was gorgeous and I hated to see it torn up like that. I wondered why they couldn't find more of a junker to use.

But it was kind of awesome how, as Jamie said, his structural bracing remained largely intact even when the rest of the car was practically turned to confetti. And although he only mentioned that with regard to the first Impala, I noticed it was true in both crashes.

Old May 2 2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Redfern
Commodore

It was almost comical the way the ramp "shredded" from the RATO thrust.

Didn't I see that in a Wile E. Coyote short?

Sincerely,

Bill

Old May 2 2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

^I was too busy laughing at how the car flipped over when it flew off the ramp. That was even more ACMEriffic.

Old May 2 2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Redfern
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
That was even more ACMEriffic.
ACMEriffic, I like that!

Sincerely,

Bill

Old May 2 2013, 09:59 PM   #10
T J
Commodore

Redfern wrote: View Post
Now, I don't know much about vintage cars (or much of anything it seems), but it was obvious that white Impala was in great condition, so I found it rather painful to see them stripping the vehicle of its pristine cherry red interior to house the structural frame and Grant's robotics.
I did too until I saw it had the bouncy bouncy hydraulics. Then I felt very good about it.
Old May 3 2013, 01:10 PM   #11
Forbin
Admiral

Do they count after the bounce for the total distance traveled off the ramp?
Old May 3 2013, 01:51 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

Forbin wrote: View Post
Do they count after the bounce for the total distance traveled off the ramp?
I think they did. There was a line in the narration something like "It flew a total of X distance, but interrupted by a lot of bouncing and twisting."

Old May 4 2013, 09:19 PM   #13
publiusr
Commodore

I missed it, of course. Oh well.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 10:46 AM   #14
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Jamie only drove the car in the test run. In the actual experiment, my understanding is that Jamie was behind the wheel of the dump truck and Adam was operating the RC system.
Adam and Jamie switch places when they do the ramp jump.
Old May 6 2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Redfern
Commodore

publiusr wrote: View Post
I missed it, of course. Oh well.
Traditionally, the previous episode is repeated just before the newest one. If they have opted to maintain that pattern, you should be able to catch it at 8 PM (EDT) Wednesday.

Sincerely,

Bill