RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,725
Posts: 5,432,540
Members: 24,836
Currently online: 556
Newest member: crazycornuts

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 2 2013, 12:15 PM   #406
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Oh, for Pete's sake its not like Moffat is planning on have one of the Doctor's enemies switching bodies with him and their final battle ending with the Doctor beaten and dead when said villain's body dies with the episode ending with the villain still in the Doctor's body saying he'll be better at it than the Doctor ever was effectively both murdering him and stealing his life in the process.
"I shall be the Superior Doctor!"

Honestly, I could see Moffat doing that story arc. Fortunately, Dan Slott got there first and Moffat would look like he was ripping off a comic book that has less than 1 percent of his audience.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 02:06 PM   #407
Mad Jack Wolfe
Lieutenant Commander
 
Mad Jack Wolfe's Avatar
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

StCoop wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
I agree that would be the most ideal, but to me it's not "disrespecting the past" if they aren't in there.
I'm never going to able to see an appearance by Tom Baker's scarf as somehow an adequate replacement for an appearance by Tom Baker, however they try and spin it.
This could work, though. Put the scarf on Amy. And that's the extent of her costume.
__________________
Life is full of disappointments. For instance, I really hoped "Chariots of Fire" would be a remake of "Ben Hur" with flame throwers.
Mad Jack Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 02:53 PM   #408
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Starkers wrote: View Post
Trouble is some people have had it in for Moffat since he started (since before then if I recall correctly) so they're actually really glad there are no classic Doctors in the special. Let's be honest some people wouldn't be happy even if Moffat did incorporate every surviving Doctor and managed to resurrect the first three into the bargain, plus include every living companion.
Maybe you've been on a different internet than me, but it seemed like Moffat only lost his shine fairly recently for the vast majority of his detractors. People were very excited when he took over, they gave him the benefit of the doubt on the rough spots of his first season, chalked the issues with the second up to 'trying something different' and it was really only when he continued to make the same 'mistakes' through the third that the cries came up for him to move along.

Personally I think he is one of the best episode writers the show has ever seen, but in an editorial/oversight capacity he simply doesn't have the restraint to sort the wheat from the chaff before throwing it all on the table. Perhaps more importantly, the scheduling/production issues hint strongly at his being an artist that works best with deadlines and someone else making the important calls.

I'm very much enjoying this series/season as a whole, minus a few smaller-than-usual missteps, so it is possible he has found his footing and these concerns are unfounded. I do find it a bit strange, if not quite 'upsetting', that the original series seems to be getting the shaft a bit here. Tennant is all fine and dandy, but celebrating the 50th anniversary with just him feels like a bit of a cheat and if the original plan was in fact to have him and Eccleston then it looks like even more of a celebration of "nuWho" than the show as a whole.

Debating how good a job the man is doing is about as productive as arguing how Timelords reproduce or the nature of his relationship with River, but to jump all the way to "well some of you wouldn't be happy with anything!" you may as well be saying nothing.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:10 PM   #409
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Trouble is some people have had it in for Moffat since he started (since before then if I recall correctly) so they're actually really glad there are no classic Doctors in the special. Let's be honest some people wouldn't be happy even if Moffat did incorporate every surviving Doctor and managed to resurrect the first three into the bargain, plus include every living companion.
Maybe you've been on a different internet than me, but it seemed like Moffat only lost his shine fairly recently for the vast majority of his detractors. People were very excited when he took over, they gave him the benefit of the doubt on the rough spots of his first season, chalked the issues with the second up to 'trying something different' and it was really only when he continued to make the same 'mistakes' through the third that the cries came up for him to move along.

Personally I think he is one of the best episode writers the show has ever seen, but in an editorial/oversight capacity he simply doesn't have the restraint to sort the wheat from the chaff before throwing it all on the table. Perhaps more importantly, the scheduling/production issues hint strongly at his being an artist that works best with deadlines and someone else making the important calls.

I'm very much enjoying this series/season as a whole, minus a few smaller-than-usual missteps, so it is possible he has found his footing and these concerns are unfounded. I do find it a bit strange, if not quite 'upsetting', that the original series seems to be getting the shaft a bit here. Tennant is all fine and dandy, but celebrating the 50th anniversary with just him feels like a bit of a cheat and if the original plan was in fact to have him and Eccleston then it looks like even more of a celebration of "nuWho" than the show as a whole.

Debating how good a job the man is doing is about as productive as arguing how Timelords reproduce or the nature of his relationship with River, but to jump all the way to "well some of you wouldn't be happy with anything!" you may as well be saying nothing.
Eh, I've been reading the same Internet as Starkers. There is always a certain faction upset by any changes (As well as a certain faction elated that the change finally came). This goes for Show Runner, Doctor Actor and Companions.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:32 PM   #410
Neroon
Mod of balance
 
Neroon's Avatar
 
Location: On my ship the Rocinante
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

I tend to be rather easy-going when it comes to this debate between fans of various generations of the show. Part of that is because of the near animosity between some members of each camp. Along those lines, here is an interesting article I read just this morning... in which I agreed with a the author a fair amount - and I have thoroughly enjoyed Moffat's term as showrunner.

http://www.hypable.com/2013/04/30/st...ho-showrunner/
__________________
"Those who promote peace have joy."
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:45 PM   #411
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Trouble is some people have had it in for Moffat since he started (since before then if I recall correctly) so they're actually really glad there are no classic Doctors in the special. Let's be honest some people wouldn't be happy even if Moffat did incorporate every surviving Doctor and managed to resurrect the first three into the bargain, plus include every living companion.
Maybe you've been on a different internet than me, but it seemed like Moffat only lost his shine fairly recently for the vast majority of his detractors. People were very excited when he took over, they gave him the benefit of the doubt on the rough spots of his first season, chalked the issues with the second up to 'trying something different' and it was really only when he continued to make the same 'mistakes' through the third that the cries came up for him to move along.

Personally I think he is one of the best episode writers the show has ever seen, but in an editorial/oversight capacity he simply doesn't have the restraint to sort the wheat from the chaff before throwing it all on the table. Perhaps more importantly, the scheduling/production issues hint strongly at his being an artist that works best with deadlines and someone else making the important calls.

I do find it a bit strange, if not quite 'upsetting', that the original series seems to be getting the shaft a bit here. Tennant is all fine and dandy, but celebrating the 50th anniversary with just him feels like a bit of a cheat and if the original plan was in fact to have him and Eccleston then it looks like even more of a celebration of "nuWho" than the show as a whole.
This matches up with my recollection as well. Moffat wrote some great scripts for RTD, so people (in general) were thrilled when Moffat took over. However, it appears he's better at the artistic side than the business management side.

But, I've been enjoying Moffat's seasons greatly. No real complaints. Overall, I enjoy his work and RTD's work about the same amount, but for different reasons.

In the end, I wish there was a classic Doctor involved in the anniversary special. But, if not, I will likely enjoy it anyway. Still, it's a shame. These actors won't be with us forever and they contributed greatly.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 06:29 PM   #412
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Billie Piper spotted in Cardiff

The other three better watch out for John Hurt. He might complain of stomach pains





Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 06:34 PM   #413
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
But, I've been enjoying Moffat's seasons greatly. No real complaints. Overall, I enjoy his work and RTD's work about the same amount, but for different reasons.

In the end, I wish there was a classic Doctor involved in the anniversary special. But, if not, I will likely enjoy it anyway. Still, it's a shame. These actors won't be with us forever and they contributed greatly.

Mr Awe
I'm the same. Despite a few missteps here and there, I've found the overall quality to be at a consistently high level since the show returned. I'm always a bit baffled at the people complaining every year about the show going downhill and becoming more terrible than ever.

And yeah, I do think it's a giant missed opportunity to not have the classic Doctors in there, but I'm not about to let that prevent me from enjoying the special we do get.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 07:01 PM   #414
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

For anyone that's curious, Whistleblower says she's been running a scam on fandom to prove how gullible and pathetic it is.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:16 PM   #415
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Although she maintains Moffat's still an "bad tempered, narrow minded, arrogant, smug git"


And she's kinda of cute too.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:21 PM   #416
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
And she's kinda of cute too.
That she is, that she is.

That said, I hope the picture and the name are fake. Otherwise, she's put something out there with her name on it that would be damaging to her career, even though it was a prank.

And "bad tempered, narrow minded, arrogant, smug git"? Lawrence Miles has said worse about the Moff.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:29 PM   #417
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
As for Matt Smith's regeneration, the way Eleven has been talking and acting since "The Snowmen" has me thinking that he will buy it at some point saving Clara's life. He already blames himself for her Victorian version's death and Oswin saved his life in "Asylum"....he'll give up his life before she dies again. I'm sure of it.
I have to admit it does kind of seem like it's heading in that direction, with this season being Eleven's swan song. Although I really hope it's not, because I'd still love to see a lot more with Smith and Coleman together.

Of course we know he's in the 50th special after the Trenzalore episode, so presumably he at least survives that event....
Oh so do I. They are good opposite one another. But I definitely think that's where the story is heading, even if it's in season 8. And I hope Clara sticks around for the 12th Doctor too.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 09:13 PM   #418
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: UK
Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
And she's kinda of cute too.
That she is, that she is.
That photo isn't "her"

http://southernstardolphincruise.com...ice-staff-crew
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:55 AM   #419
StCoop
Commodore
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Atticus wrote: View Post
Epic Fail!

First try and convince people that you're an insider by cobbling together various rumours and acting like they came from you.

When people point out what you've got wrong quickly issue some "corrections".

When people still don't fall for it pretend you were doing it all for some high-minded reason.

Then claim to be someone you're not.

Like I said before, they're the GB poster that uses the name R.E.D. Not that it really matters, since paying them attention is what they want.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 01:01 PM   #420
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Billie Piper spotted in Cardiff

The other three better watch out for John Hurt. He might complain of stomach pains

Clever!
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.