RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,153
Posts: 5,344,006
Members: 24,599
Currently online: 689
Newest member: brollium

TrekToday headlines

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 2 2013, 11:45 PM   #601
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: Going Veggie

My very lazy dinner tonight: lentil-corn soup (can of Progresso 99% fat free lentil soup with a bunch of frozen corn and some seasoning thrown in) and a salad. I usually sprinkle some grated or shredded cheese on the soup, but I'm trying to cut back on dairy, and I'd had cheese earlier in the day, so I skipped it this time.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 08:09 AM   #602
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Going Veggie

I'm getting myself one of these:



Meal Measure Manager

It will help me with portion control. Sometimes I eat more than I intend, because I don't realize how much of what I have on my plate.
The American Diabetes Association had theirs for $30 (which I thought was absolutely ridiculous for a plastic measuring piece), and I figured Amazon would have their own for much less.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:50 PM   #603
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: Going Veggie

^Yup, $7.91 looks more appropriate. This looks like a really good idea if portion size is a problem for you.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 01:19 PM   #604
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Going Veggie

Okay so here is how I end up eating the same thing for a week at a time, because I go on food kicks. This is last nights dinner, with MIMOLETTE! (the orange one) Thanks to this thread I requested this from my cheese connection and apparently it is quite accessible in Australia though I have never seen it before.



It is very hard, almost brittle and tangy and nutty and sweet with a piquant aftertaste. A wonderful cheese. Thank you lurok for telling me about it! Unfortunately for america the FDA just banned it this April despite it being imported into the country for years. You can read about this horribleness here:

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/fr...201743901.html

My cheese person said to me that Australia "encourages cheese mites" which quite surprised me as this country has very tough restrictions on food imports.

The other cheese is manchego.

I ended up eating cheese for lunch today so for dinner all I had was a papaya.

More photos!! Because the thread will get dull with me posting radish pics ad nauseum (god I love those things).
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 08:03 PM   #605
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Going Veggie

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^Yup, $7.91 looks more appropriate. This looks like a really good idea if portion size is a problem for you.
Yeah, $8 is more than fair for something like that. For me, portion control isn't a major issue, but knowing how much I'm eating can help train me to do so without the need of a visual or practical aid.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 04:44 AM   #606
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: McCrory/Hitler's Republic of North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Going Veggie

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I just got a call from my doctor's office. Since my blood glucose is still hovering around the 180/200 mark, they're doubling up my Metformin (I currently take two 500mg capsules a day at supper) per day, and instead of the Tradjenta, they're going to have me take Januvia, though I'm not certain at what dosage. My doctor feels that the Januvia will quickly lower my A1C (which is 9.6) over the next six months or so, and then we can see if a simpler diabetes medication can take it from there.

Other than that, I'm to continue on course with what I'm doing.
I am on Janumet 50/1000, which is Januvia 50mg/Metformin 1000mg. Please talk to your doctor about adding Amaryl (generic is Glimepiride). This is on the WalMart $4 Generic Drug List, so cost should not be an issue. Amaryl knocks down high blood sugar quickly and effectively. Start at 2mg dosage then work up to 4mg only if necessary. Because it is a fast working drug, it is possible to lower sugar too far, thus start at the lower dosage first.

For me, Amaryl has been a godsend. I keep extras in a small pill container (along with Lact-Aid) for times I dine out. I can even have a sweet dessert if I take an extra Amaryl. (Not that I recommend over doing it often!)
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 07:25 AM   #607
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Going Veggie

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
I just got a call from my doctor's office. Since my blood glucose is still hovering around the 180/200 mark, they're doubling up my Metformin (I currently take two 500mg capsules a day at supper) per day, and instead of the Tradjenta, they're going to have me take Januvia, though I'm not certain at what dosage. My doctor feels that the Januvia will quickly lower my A1C (which is 9.6) over the next six months or so, and then we can see if a simpler diabetes medication can take it from there.

Other than that, I'm to continue on course with what I'm doing.
I am on Janumet 50/1000, which is Januvia 50mg/Metformin 1000mg. Please talk to your doctor about adding Amaryl (generic is Glimepiride). This is on the WalMart $4 Generic Drug List, so cost should not be an issue. Amaryl knocks down high blood sugar quickly and effectively. Start at 2mg dosage then work up to 4mg only if necessary. Because it is a fast working drug, it is possible to lower sugar too far, thus start at the lower dosage first.

For me, Amaryl has been a godsend. I keep extras in a small pill container (along with Lact-Aid) for times I dine out. I can even have a sweet dessert if I take an extra Amaryl. (Not that I recommend over doing it often!)
So you're not feeling any significant side effects with Januvia? What with all of the talk of Januvia's side effects, I've been a bit concerned.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 11:16 AM   #608
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Going Veggie

teacake wrote: View Post
This is last nights dinner, with MIMOLETTE! (the orange one) [...] Unfortunately for america the FDA just banned it this April despite it being imported into the country for years. You can read about this horribleness here:

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/fr...201743901.html
The article you linked to does not describe a ban on mimolette cheese. It does however say that the one or more shipments of it are being denied entry into the US, as long as it does not comply with standing US regulations.

Your article wrote:
Still, the FDA has held up more than 1,100 pounds of the cheese, worth upwards of $13,000, in a New Jersey warehouse since March. That’s according to Benoit de Vitton, the North American representative for France’s Isigny Ste Mére, which is the main producer of mimolette.

[...]

The reason given, according to FDA paperwork read to Shine by de Vitton, was that the inspectors found cheese mites in the rind, which can cause allergies, and which made the product “adulterated,” and consists of a “decomposed substance otherwise unfit for food.”

[...]

The cheese’s detention, de Vitton explained, leaves the company with three options: make it FDA compliant, send it back to France, or destroy the product completely. Destroying the cheese would be heartbreaking, he said, but sending it back has been difficult, since doing so requires special documentation from the FDA, which de Vitton says the agency has not provided.

The FDA did not respond to specific questions about the situation, but released the following statement to Shine:
The FDA does not have any information about specific import refusals, but we can tell you that, in general, there is no ban on importing mimolette cheese into the U.S. However, it is important to note that all food products exported to the U.S. must meet U.S. food standards. We do surveillance sampling of imports; when we find a violation of U.S. law, we may take action to refuse the product's entry into the U.S.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 12:20 PM   #609
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Going Veggie

But dude there were riots. FORTY PEOPLE.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 12:43 AM   #610
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Going Veggie

Here's another salad for you, teacake, this time the bed is a mix of baby greens, kale and sunflower sprouts, fresh herbs from the farmer's market, celery, carrot, and fresh tomato, sauteed mushroom, asparagus, chickpeas and kidney beans and homemade vinaigrette. My sweet tooth has been niggling at me today, so I sauteed a few sultanas in the mix as well, and baked half an acorn squash with a sprinkle of sugar and freshly ground cinnamon:

__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 03:33 AM   #611
Pondwater
Fleet Captain
 
Pondwater's Avatar
 
Location: In Left Field.
Re: Going Veggie

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Here's another salad for you, teacake, this time the bed is a mix of baby greens, kale and sunflower sprouts, fresh herbs from the farmer's market, celery, carrot, and fresh tomato, sauteed mushroom, asparagus, chickpeas and kidney beans and homemade vinaigrette. My sweet tooth has been niggling at me today, so I sauteed a few sultanas in the mix as well, and baked half an acorn squash with a sprinkle of sugar and freshly ground cinnamon:


Yum!!
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 06:43 AM   #612
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: McCrory/Hitler's Republic of North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Going Veggie

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
I just got a call from my doctor's office. Since my blood glucose is still hovering around the 180/200 mark, they're doubling up my Metformin (I currently take two 500mg capsules a day at supper) per day, and instead of the Tradjenta, they're going to have me take Januvia, though I'm not certain at what dosage. My doctor feels that the Januvia will quickly lower my A1C (which is 9.6) over the next six months or so, and then we can see if a simpler diabetes medication can take it from there.

Other than that, I'm to continue on course with what I'm doing.
I am on Janumet 50/1000, which is Januvia 50mg/Metformin 1000mg. Please talk to your doctor about adding Amaryl (generic is Glimepiride). This is on the WalMart $4 Generic Drug List, so cost should not be an issue. Amaryl knocks down high blood sugar quickly and effectively. Start at 2mg dosage then work up to 4mg only if necessary. Because it is a fast working drug, it is possible to lower sugar too far, thus start at the lower dosage first.

For me, Amaryl has been a godsend. I keep extras in a small pill container (along with Lact-Aid) for times I dine out. I can even have a sweet dessert if I take an extra Amaryl. (Not that I recommend over doing it often!)
So you're not feeling any significant side effects with Januvia? What with all of the talk of Januvia's side effects, I've been a bit concerned.
I have had no side effects with either Januvia nor Amaryl. Put simply, it works.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:20 PM   #613
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Going Veggie

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I am on Janumet 50/1000, which is Januvia 50mg/Metformin 1000mg. Please talk to your doctor about adding Amaryl (generic is Glimepiride). This is on the WalMart $4 Generic Drug List, so cost should not be an issue. Amaryl knocks down high blood sugar quickly and effectively. Start at 2mg dosage then work up to 4mg only if necessary. Because it is a fast working drug, it is possible to lower sugar too far, thus start at the lower dosage first.

For me, Amaryl has been a godsend. I keep extras in a small pill container (along with Lact-Aid) for times I dine out. I can even have a sweet dessert if I take an extra Amaryl. (Not that I recommend over doing it often!)
So you're not feeling any significant side effects with Januvia? What with all of the talk of Januvia's side effects, I've been a bit concerned.
I have had no side effects with either Januvia nor Amaryl. Put simply, it works.
Good. I've already doubled up on my Metformin, and in a few weeks, my Januvia will arrive. My fingers are crossed.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 01:28 AM   #614
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Going Veggie

I think I just ate my weight in polenta, tomatoes, and asparagus...
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:39 AM   #615
Kenbushway
Captain
 
Kenbushway's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: Going Veggie

I just finished cooking a vegan breakfast for the first time. Its called Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats. Its supposed to taste like pumpkin pie (I think it does, makes the whole house smell like pumpkin pie) and if you can get the right ingredients its only has 4g of sugar.
Here's the recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-co...ts/detail.aspx

I was able to find a can of pumpkin pure at Kroger. Low sugar and its does the trick of the pumpkin puree needed for the recipe.
__________________
"The typical investor would be better off if his stocks had no market quotations at all, for he would be spared the mental anguish caused him by other persons' mistakes of judgement."
Benjamin Graham - The Intelligent Investor Chpt 8.
Kenbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
beans, fruit, meatless, musical, vegetarian

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.