TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 30 2013, 04:43 PM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Dukat and other thoughts while ending Season 5

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
Do they even know that Demar was the one who killed her?
Kira mentions it to Sisko in When It Rains, I believe it is, when she's fishing for an excuse to get out of what Sisko wants her to do.
Old April 30 2013, 09:37 PM   #17
Ryva Brall
Commander

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn, I wish I was in your shoes, watching DS9 for the first time again. I love DS9, it beats all other Trek with a big stick (IMO). It has some of the best story telling and characters that shift and change over the years (even recurring ones such as Dukat).
Same here! Although VOY will always be my favorite, for purely nostalgic reasons, I adore DS9. Its deep, involving plotlines, its superb acting, and its wonderful characters, including the recurring ones. I think that may be my favorite thing about DS9. In all the other Trek series, you basically only get to see the main cast. But DS9 has this huge list of awesome recurring characters: Dukat, Garak, Weyoun, Nog, Martok (my favorite Klingon EVAR), Damar... I could go on. It keeps the show fresh and interesting, while still putting enough focus on developing the main characters, as well.

Eee, it's just such a great show! I wish I could watch it again for the first time, too.
Old April 30 2013, 10:05 PM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Damar's character arc is my second favorite in the whole show second to Nog. He goes a long way for a guy who started out as a lackey on a freighter.
Old May 1 2013, 12:56 AM   #19
Ryva Brall
Commander

Nog's character arc is my favorite, too. I know I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly didn't expect that little Ferengi brat to become a hard-working, resourceful, valuable member of Starfleet. If anything, I thought Jake would be the one to join Starfleet. But I'm glad the show didn't go in that direction. It's much better the way it is.
Old May 1 2013, 02:26 AM   #20
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

Captain Kathryn, I wish I was in your shoes, watching DS9 for the first time again. I love DS9, it beats all other Trek with a big stick (IMO). It has some of the best story telling and characters that shift and change over the years (even recurring ones such as Dukat).

I recently had a mammoth rewatching of the entire series, which reminded me of lots of little bits and pieces I'd forgotten, whilst reminding me just why I love it!
Yeah, I am sad I only have 1 season and a half left.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 02:30 AM   #21
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Same here! Although VOY will always be my favorite, for purely nostalgic reasons, I adore DS9. Its deep, involving plotlines, its superb acting, and its wonderful characters, including the recurring ones. I think that may be my favorite thing about DS9.
VOY is my favorite too...not sure the main reason, but I think because of it's humor. However, DS9 is pretty much tied for first place. It's amazing! I agree I love the recurring characters (namely Garak and Dukat). TNG is my third fave I suppose. I have yet to watch ENT and haven't finished TOS. I will get to those soon enough though. I'm going to watch all Trek this year. I burned through all 7 seasons of VOY in 2 months and am nearly finished DS9 in 1 month.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 05:43 AM   #22
Ryva Brall
Commander

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I'm going to watch all Trek this year. I burned through all 7 seasons of VOY in 2 months and am nearly finished DS9 in 1 month.
Dayyy-om! You're off to a good start, then. My best friend used to be staunchly anti-Trek when we were younger, and thought I was such a nerd for liking it. But a couple years ago, I convinced her to give it a chance, and now she and her husband have watched all of the series, and are going through TNG for the second time. I think Data is her personal hero.

I've watched all of them except ENT, and I'm remedying that right now. I watched the first two seasons when they first aired, but I lost interest. I don't remember much about it, but so far I haven't been too impressed with it. However, I can't just not watch a Trek series! It goes against everything in me.
Old May 1 2013, 04:49 PM   #23
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

VOY is my favorite too...not sure the main reason, but I think because of it's humor. However, DS9 is pretty much tied for first place. It's amazing! I agree I love the recurring characters (namely Garak and Dukat). TNG is my third fave I suppose. I have yet to watch ENT and haven't finished TOS. I will get to those soon enough though. I'm going to watch all Trek this year. I burned through all 7 seasons of VOY in 2 months and am nearly finished DS9 in 1 month.
I haven't watched TOS since I was a bairn and part of me doesn't really want to as I have such fond memories of it, if I watched it now my memories and nostalgia might be ruined.
Old May 1 2013, 07:30 PM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Same here! Although VOY will always be my favorite, for purely nostalgic reasons, I adore DS9. Its deep, involving plotlines, its superb acting, and its wonderful characters, including the recurring ones. I think that may be my favorite thing about DS9.
Woah.. that's a lot of Trekkin. You ought to be done with DS9 in a week at that pace!
Old May 3 2013, 05:44 AM   #25
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I'm guessing they don't blame Damar for killing Ziyal because he did what soldiers are supposed to do and executed an admitted traitor.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 11:36 AM   #26
Yorkshire Niner
Captain

DS9 still remains the greatest TV show I have ever seen in my life - bar none!

I run a twice-weekly Star Trek Club at the school where I work and we finished watching DS9 a couple of months ago. It's quite astonishing to think how old it is now because it doesn't look dated one little bit. It's as sharp and crucial and fresh-looking as any sci-fi show that's been produced since DS9 finished. I still cry at that beautiful final shot when season 7 draws to a close. The Pocket Book novels that carried the story on were also excellent.

Now, on to Dukat. I must admit that I too thought of Dukat as a bit of a 'pinball character' when I first watched the series. He's a military dictator then a put-upon soldier and family man then a freedom fighter then a coup leader then a defacto president then [spoiler]a madman then a religious zealot[/spoiler]. At the time it felt like the writers didn't really know where they wanted to take the character but it all does make a sort of sense when you look at his journey across all seven seasons. In the end, he was a fabulous character who was so well portrayed by Marc Alaimo. DS9 wouldn't have been the same without him.

As for Jake, now he was a difficult character to write for! I was glad when he stayed aboard the station when Starfleet fled as it was perfectly logical (from his own viewpoint - his assumption of safety being provided by his being the son of The Emissary) and it gave him something better to do than mixing stew in Grandpa's restaurant for the remainder of the war!

Glad you're enjoying DS9.
Old May 3 2013, 12:16 PM   #27
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Casey Biggs was initially disappointed with Damar's first appearance in Season 4, but he was promised the writers had plans for him and they followed through. It must have been a rewarding experience for Biggs to start as a minor character, and become increasingly important to the overall plot.
Old May 9 2013, 09:51 PM   #28
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
When I originally watched that story arc, I got the feeling that the station is simply not as important to the rest of the Federation as it is to Sisko, the Bajorans, or us viewers.
There's a reason the station is called Deep Space Nine, even though it's a hop, skip, and a jump away from the core of the Federation.
Old May 9 2013, 09:56 PM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
Casey Biggs was initially disappointed with Damar's first appearance in Season 4, but he was promised the writers had plans for him and they followed through. It must have been a rewarding experience for Biggs to start as a minor character, and become increasingly important to the overall plot.
Definitely. Damar changes both in terms of significance, starting out as a mere lackey and surpassing his mentor and in actual character too. Though I guess I'm a bit of a sucker for redemption stories.
Old May 9 2013, 10:31 PM   #30
horatio83
Commodore

I just started Season 6 of DS9 and I just have to say I'm really disgusted by what Dukat did. Why bother having all of those episodes showing he "changed" when obviously he just goes back to his old self? I have to admit I love the power struggle between himself and the Dominion leader on the station, someone to take him down a peg. But, I am really upset that they bothered doing all of that character development with his daughter and him being cast out from his family, etc. only to have him go back to being his arrogant self who doesn't care about anyone. I understand it's supposed to surprise you and I guess it's one of those things where when you have nothing, you've got nothing to lose...but still.
DS9 did in the end ruin rich and complex characters like Dukat and Winn. But well, even Picard went down the drain when Stewart direly wanted to drive a buggy.