A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 3 2013, 04:14 AM   #736
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I noticed in Survivors, the scene where Worf is talking to Riker about the house after they beam down, you can notice a scratch in the film as Riker turns to walk toward the house.

-Chris
Old May 3 2013, 04:17 AM   #737
cbspock
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Is it just me or is Troi's make-up really garish this season? It's like someone had the make-up gun set on "whore" (I'm sure someone will get the reference ).

In the first 3 episodes, you can really notice her bright lipstick..lol

-Chris
Old May 3 2013, 04:56 AM   #738
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Just finished Survivors, I haven't seen this episode in years. It is interesting that Picard says that the Federation has no laws to fit the alien's crime??? So the Federation has no laws against Genocide????? If that is the case, why did Picard has such a tough time in I Borg??? In this episode Picard didn't know if the alien should be commended or punished? TNG was rife with this moral equivalence non-sense from time to time.

-Chris
Old May 3 2013, 09:22 AM   #739
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
According to Memory Alpha:
Several scenes were cut from this episode, ... Wesley telling the Counselor about troubles he had with his mother because she wouldn't let him stay overnight at a party on the holodeck ...
Thank god this scene was cut, it makes zero sense. The day and night cycles on a starship are artificial, it's not getting cold or more dangerous, there's nothing you can do on the holodeck at "night" that you can't do during the "day", why would she object to him sleeping there, technically he's not even leaving the "house".

He's a teenager, so if she assumes that the "party" is only an excuse to get drunk and fuck like rabbits she should object to him spending time on the holodeck with friends on principle not just during the night.
Objecting makes even less sense with Wesley, one of the most boring and responsible "teenagers" in the history of television, he will not be late to flying the ship if that's Beverly's concern. If Wesley were my son I would probbaly drag him to the party and lock him inside "Act your age you responsible, perfectly groomed boy, and stop cleaning up your room every single day, you're supposed to be sloppy and start masturbating!" "Mom, you're embarrassing me!" "Good, welcome to being a teenager!"
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 10:52 AM   #740
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

cbspock wrote: View Post
Just finished Survivors, I haven't seen this episode in years. It is interesting that Picard says that the Federation has no laws to fit the alien's crime??? So the Federation has no laws against Genocide????? If that is the case, why did Picard has such a tough time in I Borg??? In this episode Picard didn't know if the alien should be commended or punished? TNG was rife with this moral equivalence non-sense from time to time.

-Chris
I may be defining it too narrowly, but I think the term genocide doesn't quite cover the eradication of an entire taxon or species. As I understand it, it only covers groups within a species (ethnic, religious, etc.). What Kevin did is more like an artificially imposed, immediate, galaxy-wide extinction event. Looked at this way, Picard would be technically correct that they had no law to fit the crime because as far as he knew nothing like it had ever occurred before.
Old May 3 2013, 11:30 AM   #741
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Started making my way through the Season 2 set last night, and the Season 3 trailer pops up at the beginning - mid-way through the VO guy makes reference to the Federation's most omnipotent foe, the Borg. Erm, wouldn't that actually be Q?
Old May 3 2013, 12:50 PM   #742
yousirname
Commander

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
I may be defining it too narrowly, but I think the term genocide doesn't quite cover the eradication of an entire taxon or species. As I understand it, it only covers groups within a species (ethnic, religious, etc.). What Kevin did is more like an artificially imposed, immediate, galaxy-wide extinction event. Looked at this way, Picard would be technically correct that they had no law to fit the crime because as far as he knew nothing like it had ever occurred before.
It needn't be 'genocide', if that's the case. It's still murder, isn't it? Surely they have laws against murder.

It always felt to me that that speech was sort of tacked on, because the truth of the matter is the Federation doesn't have the ability to confine the guy. As far as I can see, it would be like trying to put Q in a jail cell.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 01:38 PM   #743
cbspock
Rear Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post

-Chris

Really??? Then what was Picard's hang up with wiping out the Borg?

-Chris
Old May 3 2013, 01:40 PM   #744
cbspock
Rear Admiral

yousirname wrote: View Post
It needn't be 'genocide', if that's the case. It's still murder, isn't it? Surely they have laws against murder.

It always felt to me that that speech was sort of tacked on, because the truth of the matter is the Federation doesn't have the ability to confine the guy. As far as I can see, it would be like trying to put Q in a jail cell.

It was very weak.

-Chris
Old May 3 2013, 02:06 PM   #745
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I always figured (apart from Picard being dramatic) that it was because one non-Federation species erased another non-Federation species.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 04:33 PM   #746
davejames
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
I always figured (apart from Picard being dramatic) that it was because one non-Federation species erased another non-Federation species.
Yeah that was my take on it as well. Combined with the fact that Kevin was clearly dangerous as hell. You wouldn't want to risk him in inadvertently wiping out humanity while you're putting him on trial.

Best to just quarantine the planet and get the hell away from there.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 04:37 PM   #747
cbspock
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
Yeah that was my take on it as well. Combined with the fact that Kevin was clearly dangerous as hell. You wouldn't want to risk him in inadvertently wiping out humanity while you're putting him on trial.

Best to just quarantine the planet and get the hell away from there.

If he can't leave the planet, then Picard should have just said something about his punishment would be living alone forever with what he did. Picard as usual never takes a stand unless he has to.

-Chris
Old May 3 2013, 05:24 PM   #748
Beatnik
Lieutenant Commander

GameOn wrote: View Post
It's at 40:10, this shot here:
Yeah I thought it was CGI when watching the episode but I had to check the original to be sure.
So, any CG experts out there? That's a very detailed and accurate CG model, and it's obvious a lot of effort went into it. But it still looks generated (at least, as a frame). What specific properties make it look like obvious CG vs something like BSG or Nu Trek (which looked "natural" to me)? Is it lighting sophistication? Texture quality? I know they rendered BSG at 720p and added grain to match the live action scenes. Could be it so simple?
Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:07 PM   #749
Flake
Commodore

In Deja Q, Riker tells Worf to contact all ships in the sector and have them rendezvous and join in relief efforts. We can see Worf responding to Riker in the background but we cannot hear the dialogue. Its not there !

Just checked the DVD and this was a mistake in the original run! Well done for being so authentic, CBS-D Why did I not notice this until the HD version?
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:10 PM   #750
Flake
Commodore

Beatnik wrote: View Post
GameOn wrote: View Post
It's at 40:10, this shot here:
Yeah I thought it was CGI when watching the episode but I had to check the original to be sure.
So, any CG experts out there? That's a very detailed and accurate CG model, and it's obvious a lot of effort went into it. But it still looks generated (at least, as a frame). What specific properties make it look like obvious CG vs something like BSG or Nu Trek (which looked "natural" to me)? Is it lighting sophistication? Texture quality? I know they rendered BSG at 720p and added grain to match the live action scenes. Could be it so simple?
Definitely the lighting imho but I am no expert.

I think its a great shot and very good CGI ! Tobias Richter did a superb job with the mesh (assuming its still that one) - My only issue with it is that the windows are slightly recessed into the hull instead of being flush and at some angles this means we do not see the light of the window as you do on the model but just bits of the recess. The windows should be flush to better replicate the model. This is a minor nitpick though
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote