Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 3 2013, 02:45 AM   #16
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

Re: Is the NuEnterprise's secondary hull one big engine room?

Don't forget water reclamation as well which was also pretty fucking enormous

I would wager that its layer out similarly to the TMP cutaway
Just twice the size and a whole uglier

As much as the new prise has grown on me I still can't get past how skinny the secondary hull looks in comparison to the rest of the ship, just don't flow to me. I know it's giagantic already but to me she needs more belly
Not being a sour grapes purist but that's how I feel and budgeneering looked laughable in that new clip yesterday. The sears hot water heater tumbling at them didn't help the aesthetics either
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 02:50 AM   #17
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

greenlight wrote: View Post
I just don't see how they square this circle. They're making my poor fanboy head explode.

2009:
JJ: "So then we'll cut to the rear of the ship and the shuttle bay doors'll open and we'll see like rows and rows of shuttles and and one comes zooming out with maybe some lens flare!!!"

Hapless special effects technical adviser: "Um...Mr. JJ...You know the shuttle bay's really not that big... it's more like a two-car garage for the shuttlecraft."

JJ: "Whaaaat?! No. Just...you know what? Just make the damn ship as big as you need to make that shot work!!!"

2013:
JJ: "So the ship's tumbling end over end and Scotty and Kirk are hanging on for dear life and you can see down like 10... no, 20 stories with theses pipes and it just stretches on like forever..."

hapless special effects technical adviser: "Sigh"
Posts like this one make me wish TBBS had a Like button.
Old May 3 2013, 03:38 AM   #18
Gojira
Commodore

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
The deflector assembly takes up the front portion, then engineering deck most of the "belly" and the shuttlebay and main plasma channels to the nacelles everything behind that, an aft facing twin torpedo deck underneath.
This explanation works for me!
Old May 3 2013, 05:23 AM   #19
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post

Exactly! Because... uh... no reason other than to support the idea that it must be huuuuuuugh!

I know it's giagantic already
Do you know how big 50m is? 70m? 1200m? Could you walk it if asked?

Last edited by WarpFactorZ; May 3 2013 at 05:41 AM.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 05:43 AM   #20
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

You need to get laid brother
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:28 AM   #21
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

You need to get laid brother
That's uncalled-for and it's unnecessarily personal. Cut it out.

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post

Exactly! Because... uh... no reason other than to support the idea that it must be huuuuuuugh!

I know it's giagantic already
Do you know how big 50m is? 70m? 1200m? Could you walk it if asked?
WarpFactorZ, all of that needs to go back in the Starship Size Argument thread which I made especially for your use, and it needs to stay there. I do not wish to see all of these other threads turned into Starship Size Argument Auxiliary threads.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:35 AM   #22
trevanian
Rear Admiral

You're right, totally exposed lava lamps in a carpeted lounge make for a far more realistic portrayel of a matter/antimatter reactor and it's engineering assembly.
At least it represents a bit more of the clean-room aspect you would expect in such an environment. And you can actually justify having the transparent rig so as to provide visual inspection of the flow. It'd be like having all the medtools of the time, but the doc still taking your pulse by hand, because he can gauge by his natural senses as well as via tools.

Don't see how you can justify the 20th century pipe fittings in any 23rd century context, or why you would want to.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 08:35 AM   #23
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

BillJ wrote: View Post
No worse than Riker kicking the Viceroy into a bottomless pit from the bottom deck of the Enterprise in Nemesis.
Ooh, ooh, I can explain that, but you have to follow me on a dark journey to my even nerdier days of several years ago. Or just look at the picture below (CliffsNotes version: the fight took place on Deck 9, not the lowest deck of the ship):

'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 08:49 AM   #24
SeerSGB
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
You're right, totally exposed lava lamps in a carpeted lounge make for a far more realistic portrayel of a matter/antimatter reactor and it's engineering assembly.
At least it represents a bit more of the clean-room aspect you would expect in such an environment. And you can actually justify having the transparent rig so as to provide visual inspection of the flow. It'd be like having all the medtools of the time, but the doc still taking your pulse by hand, because he can gauge by his natural senses as well as via tools.

Don't see how you can justify the 20th century pipe fittings in any 23rd century context, or why you would want to.
That's my line of thought. That and brewgineering just is stylistically out of sync with the rest of the look of the ship's interior. And it's not the dirt and grim, it just the jump for future tech to modern industrial. You could take the TOS style engine room, redesign it to work with the other interiors style and still have brewgineering underneath all that as being the guts that aren't normally seen.
Old May 3 2013, 10:25 AM   #25
F. King Daniel
Admiral

IMO the brewery is the TOS engine room, just on a far bigger scale:

None of the pipes/conduits in TOS, TAS or STV's pipe-filled corridor maze was ever assigned a function (the double vat in the centre had a pop-up dilithium crystal one time, in other episodes that thing wasn't even present), and stories like "Court Martial" implied that engineering was more complex than what the show could afford to depict.
Old May 3 2013, 01:34 PM   #26
abaldwin360
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to abaldwin360 Send a message via Yahoo to abaldwin360

As much as the new prise has grown on me I still can't get past how skinny the secondary hull looks in comparison to the rest of the ship, just don't flow to me. I know it's giagantic already but to me she needs more belly
Not being a sour grapes purist but that's how I feel and budgeneering looked laughable in that new clip yesterday. The sears hot water heater tumbling at them didn't help the aesthetics either
I generally like the design of the new Enterprise, the secondary hull kind of has a submarine vibe going, and the primary hull looks like classic trek.

The only part I don't generally like are the nacelles, which would look a lot better IMO if they didn't have the big "hood" looking part in the front.
abaldwin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 03:17 PM   #27
trevanian
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
IMO the brewery is the TOS engine room, just on a far bigger scale:

None of the pipes/conduits in TOS, TAS or STV's pipe-filled corridor maze was ever assigned a function (the double vat in the centre had a pop-up dilithium crystal one time, in other episodes that thing wasn't even present), and stories like "Court Martial" implied that engineering was more complex than what the show could afford to depict.
Yet what I see with your comparison is that TOS has a 'clean' look with things being separated and discrete, whereas the other thing just has busywork (like the jungle gym diagonal metal bars, what I think of as the 'backyard swing set' which seems to intentionally get in the way of functionality. It isn't the busywork of the ALIEN universe, that has some kind of 'at least it looks like it works for being on a spaceship' despite all those toggle switches.
Old May 3 2013, 09:11 PM   #28
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
We have two tropes for this film. It's called the No OSHA Compliance and Your Size May Vary.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...OSHACompliance
And interestingly enough the NuEnterprise managed to be more OSHA compliant than any of the previous Trek ships.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 11:35 PM   #29
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Bingeneering was pretty jarring for me at first because we're so used to a consistent design ethic in Trek from bridge to corridors to quarters to engineering, so to travel in seconds from the Apple iBridge to a vast machinery-laden plant out of the third act of every Terminator movie took me by surprise.

But after I thought about it for a while, I wondered, why would you bother with keeping up appearances between such disparate sections of the ship? Is it meant to be functional, or is it meant to impress admirals during inspections? I figured this was simply a more functional, less eye candy filled version of the Enterprise modeled on the USS Kelvin's internal layout after it performed as well as could be expected against a massive new technologically advanced threat to the Federation.

If the higher ups want to be impressed by interior decorating, they can go visit the USS Hilton. The Enterprise is a sports car with state of the art controls and a transparent hood so you can see the engine operating.

'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 02:11 AM   #30
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Bingeneering was pretty jarring for me at first because we're so used to a consistent design ethic in Trek from bridge to corridors to quarters to engineering, so to travel in seconds from the Apple iBridge to a vast machinery-laden plant out of the third act of every Terminator movie took me by surprise.

But after I thought about it for a while, I wondered, why would you bother with keeping up appearances between such disparate sections of the ship? Is it meant to be functional, or is it meant to impress admirals during inspections? I figured this was simply a more functional, less eye candy filled version of the Enterprise modeled on the USS Kelvin's internal layout after it performed as well as could be expected against a massive new technologically advanced threat to the Federation.

If the higher ups want to be impressed by interior decorating, they can go visit the USS Hilton. The Enterprise is a sports car with state of the art controls and a transparent hood so you can see the engine operating.

If so, then the transparent hood is so we can see the hamsters running or their circular treadmill to power the thing ... that'd be in keeping with most of the AbramsEnt lowerdecks fittings looking to be seriously retrograde. The clip from the new movie really just makes it look like every time the ship gets pounded, you're going to be scraping crew off any level they splat against on their way down. At least the guys falling into the core in TWOK and TUC had to work at it a little to actually fall that way, these guys could probably sneeze during a banking maneuver and wind up history.