Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 2 2013, 09:54 PM   #16
T J
Commodore

Re: John Williams to Score Star Wars Episode VII

Whew!
Old May 2 2013, 10:04 PM   #17
The Keeper
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Even if the films are crud, if they produce another 'Duel of the Fates' they will be worth it !
Agreed. The soundtrack of TPM is its one redeeming quality.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 10:39 PM   #18
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I approve, with some caveats.

Of course, he should score it. It's a good thing, of course, that he is doing it, but I also know that, at 81, he probably won't be doing all the films in the new trilogy.

In my opinion, he should work with another up and coming composer and collaborate on this or the next film. First that would bring a slightly different edge to it while still conforming to most of the stuff that came before in a general aesthetic sense.. and when Williams decides to retire, that new person will earn the reigns. so, in a way wit could be like Star Trek First Contact, composed by Goldsmith and his son. By the way, that is a great score for a blockbuster film. Of course the reason that Joel Goldsmith helped was a little different but it worked nonetheless.

I also want to make it clear that the music on the prequels isn't nearly as gripping as the music for the original films. Each prequel had one or two new themes that were memorable, but the rest was usually a bit too generic for my tastes. For example, when Anakin wins the podrace, the Yayy! music is so generic.

I also think the new "non-episode" standalone adventures could benefit by not being scored by Williams. a new edge would really work. In fact, I can't help but to personally looking forward to those films, good stories set in the universe (galaxy) of Star Wars than anything that can be done with Skywalker clan. I just don't think that is going to be all that fresh and interesting. I'm not saying it will be bad. I'm just stating what I am more interested in. I want to see dark, dramatic, and exciting stories set in that world. I have become so cynical of Hollywood and I would love to NOT be about those films.
Old May 3 2013, 01:05 AM   #19
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Well, Episode VII definately doesn't deserve John Williams, but atleast the movie will have atleast one thing going for it (not that it will really help, considering all the thigns it has going against it, but anything positive about the movie at this point is good news).
ALL Star Wars deserves John Williams. Anyway, I see no reason whatsoever why Episode VII couldn't be better than Episodes I, II, III or even VI...
Well, I like Return of the Jedi a lot. Short of JJ Abrams being replaced by an alternate universe version of himself (from a universe where he isn't a complete idiot) there is no way VII could be as good as even EP 1 or 2, and they weren't very good.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

Agreed. Not exactly sure what VII has "going against it" right now. At this point, it's too early to form much of an opinion at all.

Just for full disclosure, I hate JJ Abrams. I personally think he's a complete hack, and the fact that he gets to go ruin my second favorite Sci Fi series (after already destroying the future of my favorite sci fi series) makes me angry. The fact that he's allowed anywhere near VII is what that movie has going against it. I'd rather have george lucas be in charge of VII. Heck, I'd rather have Michael Bay be in charge of VII. JJ already copies him (explosions, boobs, the fact that they are both allergic to actually telling a story) and atleast Bay will use less lensflares as he's taking a dump on a beloved series. If the movies doomed to be a mindless action flick for the Transformers fans (like ST 2009), you might as well get the actual Transformers guy, not his pupil.

To be clear, Bay sucks. Transformers 2 was an abomination (and also written by the writers of Star Trek 2009, unsurprisngly). But, atleast you know how Bay will destroy something. As much as I say JJ copies Bay (and he does) he also has the ability to create new ways for a movie to suck (like lensflares). I can't imagine what he'll do to Star Wars. After his movie comes out, we'll all be wishing that Lucas was back, and he'll probably be laughing about how everyone took him for granted.

I really hope this post doesn't create a big fight, I just wanted to make my feelings clear. I hate abrams, he can do no good in my opinion. I won't convince his fans he's horrible, they won't convince me he's not. I just figured that posting "JJ Abrams is the biggest hack in the world" wouldn't be a good way of explaining what this movie has going against it, so I made a longer post.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 02:47 AM   #20
Skywalker
Admiral

This pleases me. Of course they had to at least ask if he'd be up for it. If he wasn't, I really do think Michael Giacchino would be a fantastic successor.

Glad to hear that he seems to still be going strong at 81.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 04:07 AM   #21
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

kirk55555 wrote:
Short of JJ Abrams being replaced by an alternate universe version of himself (from a universe where he isn't a complete idiot) there is no way VII could be as good as even EP 1 or 2
Just like there was no way STXI could be even as good as The Final Frontier or Insurrection. Oh wait, that's not how things turned out, is it?
Old May 3 2013, 05:47 PM   #22
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I just saw this poster on SHH. Is it for real or just another fan-made one?

Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 05:48 PM   #23
Praetorian
Captain

Set Harth, I'm sure kirk55555 considers those movies to be superior to STXI, so that's not much of a comeback, I'm afraid.

On topic, good news, though I was expecting Giacchino to score the movie, having Williams on board can only be good.
Old May 3 2013, 05:52 PM   #24
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I'm sure Williams will deliver a good score, though I must say I was hoping for someone/something new.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:20 PM   #25
flavaflav
Commander

If this is Williams' last hurrah Star Wars-wise, they should just get the peep who scored The Clone Wars cartoon. That music is always good.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:23 PM   #26
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

That's great news. Arndt, Abrams, and now Williams. Gonna be a damn good film.
Old May 3 2013, 06:32 PM   #27
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Set Harth wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote:
Short of JJ Abrams being replaced by an alternate universe version of himself (from a universe where he isn't a complete idiot) there is no way VII could be as good as even EP 1 or 2
Just like there was no way STXI could be even as good as The Final Frontier or Insurrection. Oh wait, that's not how things turned out, is it?
Praetorian wrote: View Post
Set Harth, I'm sure kirk55555 considers those movies to be superior to STXI, so that's not much of a comeback, I'm afraid.
You're right. TFF and Insurrection were horrible, but they were horrible Star Trek. ST 2009 was a horrible transformers like action movie minus the robots, and VII will be the same way. I'll take a terrible movie that atleast is actually part of a franchise any day over another horrible copy of movies made for people who want explosions with a story that is basically just there to link the different explosions/horrible humor/sexual stuff together.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:37 PM   #28
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Abram's enthusiasm aside, until there's any kind of confirmation from Williams, this is nothing more than a dude fanwanking himself in public.
Old May 3 2013, 07:19 PM   #29
Iamnotspock
Captain

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Well, Episode VII definately doesn't deserve John Williams, but atleast the movie will have atleast one thing going for it (not that it will really help, considering all the thigns it has going against it, but anything positive about the movie at this point is good news).

Well, I like Return of the Jedi a lot. Short of JJ Abrams being replaced by an alternate universe version of himself (from a universe where he isn't a complete idiot) there is no way VII could be as good as even EP 1 or 2, and they weren't very good.

Just for full disclosure, I hate JJ Abrams. I personally think he's a complete hack, and the fact that he gets to go ruin my second favorite Sci Fi series (after already destroying the future of my favorite sci fi series) makes me angry. The fact that he's allowed anywhere near VII is what that movie has going against it. I'd rather have george lucas be in charge of VII. Heck, I'd rather have Michael Bay be in charge of VII. JJ already copies him (explosions, boobs, the fact that they are both allergic to actually telling a story) and atleast Bay will use less lensflares as he's taking a dump on a beloved series. If the movies doomed to be a mindless action flick for the Transformers fans (like ST 2009), you might as well get the actual Transformers guy, not his pupil.

To be clear, Bay sucks. Transformers 2 was an abomination (and also written by the writers of Star Trek 2009, unsurprisngly). But, atleast you know how Bay will destroy something. As much as I say JJ copies Bay (and he does) he also has the ability to create new ways for a movie to suck (like lensflares). I can't imagine what he'll do to Star Wars. After his movie comes out, we'll all be wishing that Lucas was back, and he'll probably be laughing about how everyone took him for granted.

I really hope this post doesn't create a big fight, I just wanted to make my feelings clear. I hate abrams, he can do no good in my opinion. I won't convince his fans he's horrible, they won't convince me he's not. I just figured that posting "JJ Abrams is the biggest hack in the world" wouldn't be a good way of explaining what this movie has going against it, so I made a longer post.
You're talking but all I'm hearing is "Worst. Movie. Ever."
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 08:29 PM   #30
Garrovick
Commander

I'm glad to hear that John Williams will be back for (at least) one more SW film, although I'd have been OK with them going with Michael Giacchino if JW had declined the job.

For my money, the soundtrack for The Empire Strikes Back is the greatest instrumental soundtrack ever.