Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 2 2013, 09:29 PM   #706
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I'm surprised at those who didn't notice the early 3rd season episodes before. I remember how odd they looked when the episodes first aired, watching on my 22" CRT. The seams have always been noticeable, and the way they're stuffed to make the males looks beefy is very odd. The later, final, and slimmer uniforms look much better.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 09:34 PM   #707
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Just watched "Yesterday's Enterprise". It's awesome!

Would have been nice if they had dubbed Michael Dorn as the voice of the Klingon captain who demands alt-Enterprise's surrender (don't care if they ever planned to do this when the ep was filmed, they should have done it now) but there we are.
The new audio-commentary on the Blu-Rays explains why this didn't happen btw.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 10:18 PM   #708
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Just watched "The Enemy", Picard, Riker and Geordi are now wearing the updated uniforms, Worf, Data and O'Brien are still wearing the interim ones. Was a little surprised Geordi was wearing the new one, considering how filthy it gets. Maybe easier to wash material? Also, Beverly is now sporting the one-piece female uniform with the seam down the middle, plus her hair is much longer! Looking back at the screencaps of the previous episodes, I noticed the only time you see her not wearing the labcoat is when she's sitting or her waist is out of frame. Apparently they didn't like the look of the bloused bottom of the new uniform tops on women...?
Old May 2 2013, 11:00 PM   #709
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Enemy is really improved with the transfer to HD. We can actually see what's going on planet side now.
Old May 2 2013, 11:03 PM   #710
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
I noticed the only time you see her not wearing the labcoat is when she's sitting or her waist is out of frame. Apparently they didn't like the look of the bloused bottom of the new uniform tops on women...?
Wasn't Gates pregnant at the time?
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 11:07 PM   #711
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
Evil Twin wrote: View Post
I noticed the only time you see her not wearing the labcoat is when she's sitting or her waist is out of frame. Apparently they didn't like the look of the bloused bottom of the new uniform tops on women...?
If I recall correctly, she discovered she was pregnant while shooting "Remember Me" in early Season Four. By "The Host," they were carefully shooting her to disguise her baby bump.
Old May 2 2013, 11:08 PM   #712
Dream
Admiral

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
Gates was pregnant during season four. She found out after filming for "Remember Me" was complete.
Old May 2 2013, 11:15 PM   #713
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

So I went into my local music shop today. They sell used cds and dvds, also blu rays. I was just browsing, I really had no intention buy anything.

I saw that they had the full season 3 Blu-ray set "used" for $24.99!!!!

This just can out right???? I am kind of broke right now, only thing I bought so far was the original sampler. So I was baffled. Why would anyone sell these so quickly??? The discs look to be in perfect condition, I checked before I bought them. Now I am going to have to watch them and see if there was problem. Even that would be strange, if their is a defect the person could have returned it to were they bought it.

SO far the first disc is fine. Maybe I just got lucky!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 11:19 PM   #714
SpHeRe31459
Commander

Flake wrote: View Post
Aatrek wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Did anyone see the new CGI in Booby Trap yet? I don't mean the welders in the background..
The new explosion is nice, if that's what you mean...
No, it's a new cgi shot of the enterprise
Got a time index? I'd like to keep an eye out for it when I watch the episodes.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 11:29 PM   #715
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I think you got lucky, as you said f there was something wrong with the discs the customer could have gotten a replacement instead of selling them at a loss. Whoever bought them probably ripped the discs and decided to get some money back by selling the set. That's the only way I can see a used set showing up right after release.

Whatever the reason was, you're a lucky guy.
Takeru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 11:30 PM   #716
SpHeRe31459
Commander

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's a bit funny that they are ok with declaring some of the matte shots not up to HD standards but won't do that for any of the model shots.
While I tend agree about the 2-footer being pretty sad and detracts from most of the shots it's in, ship shots are not exactly comparable to matte paintings.

The matte paintings are basically just static paintings, they usually aren't recomposited into a shot, they were already part of the set dressing or they are their own live shot without any actor in it (like an establishing shot of a cityscape). And they certainly aren't like the various passes of the models which have a lot of ability to be tweaked and re-lit when composited into a scene, all the while still technically using the original footage (as evidenced by the differences between HTV and CBS-D's handling of the model footage).

With a matte painting either there is plenty of detail that looks good in HD or their isn't. If you look at the special features of Season 2, they have shots of the original Borg cube matte painting. It is a beautiful painting, but it was clearly done with limits of standard definition TV in mind. The brush strokes become quite obvious in HD when the camera gets closer to the matte painting.

Another case where they may enhance or change things is if it's a re-used matte painting. In the case of re-uses, like TOS-R before it, they have decided to allow for some artistic license to tweak the matte paintings to keep it from being a complete repetition.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 11:35 PM   #717
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Takeru wrote: View Post
I think you got lucky, as you said f there was something wrong with the discs the customer could have gotten a replacement instead of selling them at a loss. Whoever bought them probably ripped the discs and decided to get some money back by selling the set. That's the only way I can see a used set showing up right after release.

Whatever the reason was, you're a lucky guy.
I am thinking they ripped it too. There was also Roger Rabbit on Blu-ray and I also know that came out recently. I need to check this place more often!!!!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 11:38 PM   #718
Dream
Admiral

I am thinking they ripped it too. There was also Roger Rabbit on Blu-ray and I also know that came out recently. I need to check this place more often!!!!
What is the disc art like, what kind of pictures are on the reverse side of the case? Maybe we can confirm if it is legit or not.
Old May 2 2013, 11:51 PM   #719
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
What is the disc art like, what kind of pictures are on the reverse side of the case? Maybe we can confirm if it is legit or not.
You have the sampler, right? The disc art is exactly the same. Solid blue with cut-outs for the text.

The back of the case should match the paper slip. It has a laughable "before/after" comparison, some pictures and specs.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:00 AM   #720
Takeru
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
You have the sampler, right? The disc art is exactly the same. Solid blue with cut-outs for the text.
Blue? my discs are silver with black text, there seem to be different versions.
Takeru is online now   Reply With Quote