A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old May 2 2013, 12:27 AM   #211
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

I was excited about Tebow + Manning thing and was slightly bummed when they sent Tebow packing, but this is what I came up with after thinking on it a bit..... As much as anything, Tebow was traded away because he would have been a terrible backup for Manning. Even if they worked on him and improved his throwing abilities, what he does is too far different from what Manning does. Basically, they would have needed a Manning gameplan and a contingency If-Manning-Is-Broke gameplan for Tebow. Denver needed a backup who could run a similar offense to Manning. A good place for Tebow to land and learn is a team that already has a gameplan setup for a mobile QB. That way, if he's pushed into action, they can keep the basis for their offense in place.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old May 2 2013, 12:51 AM   #212
Use of Time
Commodore

That and people are just assuming that Peyton is a good instructor or has any interest to do so. Unless we are just saying that Tebow could learn through osmosis which could be somewhat true I just don't think Tebow would fit in anyway on any team as a capable backup given the options most teams have.
Old May 2 2013, 02:27 AM   #213
tighr
Commodore

Yeah, I was implying Tebow could learn by osmosis, as well as Manning could teach. But Tebow would have been a distraction.
Old May 2 2013, 02:43 AM   #214
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
I was excited about Tebow + Manning thing and was slightly bummed when they sent Tebow packing, but this is what I came up with after thinking on it a bit..... As much as anything, Tebow was traded away because he would have been a terrible backup for Manning. Even if they worked on him and improved his throwing abilities, what he does is too far different from what Manning does. Basically, they would have needed a Manning gameplan and a contingency If-Manning-Is-Broke gameplan for Tebow. Denver needed a backup who could run a similar offense to Manning. A good place for Tebow to land and learn is a team that already has a gameplan setup for a mobile QB. That way, if he's pushed into action, they can keep the basis for their offense in place.
Pretty much dead on. The distraction factor is certainly something that a team has to consider though. Not many starters are going to want to be overshadowed by their backup.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old May 2 2013, 07:36 PM   #215
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Even if they worked on him and improved his throwing abilities, what he does is too far different from what Manning does. Basically, they would have needed a Manning gameplan and a contingency If-Manning-Is-Broke gameplan for Tebow. Denver needed a backup who could run a similar offense to Manning. A good place for Tebow to land and learn is a team that already has a gameplan setup for a mobile QB. That way, if he's pushed into action, they can keep the basis for their offense in place.
This would apply to every team in the league. It is like saying that Tebow is not NFL quarterback material which is true and something many people knew before he even joined the league.

If Tebow wants to play quarteback professionally, he needs to get his ass to the CFL.
Old May 2 2013, 10:56 PM   #216
Obiwansolo18
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If Tebow was smart and wanted to be part of the Jets. He would of just switched into a hybrid fb/hb. That would allowed him to touch the ball and even Tomlison had some touchdowns thrown as a rb. He just has some crazy idea he can play qb, he is so unqualified for the postion it's not even funny as far as profesional football goes.
Old May 3 2013, 04:07 PM   #217
tighr
Commodore

Obiwansolo18 wrote: View Post
If Tebow was smart and wanted to be part of the Jets. He would of just switched into a hybrid fb/hb.
He should take a page out of Denard Robinson's book. He definitely wanted to be a quarterback, but he was just happy to be drafted at all. Despite going to the combine as a wide receiver, he was drafted as a running back.

Denard Robinson, on being drafted:
Shoelaces wrote:
I'm excited. They can put me in at receiver or running back or whatever. There's a lot of different positions so I'm excited about doing that... I'm ready to go to work and do whatever it takes to be on the field.
Old May 14 2013, 11:47 PM   #218
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

The offseason is always great in the sense that some players have too much time on their hands and can't help but get themselves into trouble.

Titus Young has been arrested 3 times in a week and is facing 8 charges, 3 of them felonies.

LeSean McCoy had his bodyguard waterboard a chick on a party bus.
Old June 5 2013, 12:29 AM   #219
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Here's one to give Timby's blood pressure a go:

Bears to give JaMarcus Russell a tryout Friday
Old June 5 2013, 01:26 AM   #220
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post

Just going to go ahead and quote what I said the last time this rumor came up:

Timby wrote: View Post
what

no

go away you fat fuck

you are not good at football

GO THE FUCK AWAY, JAMARCUS. WE DO NOT WANT YOU. YOUR SERVICES ARE NOT REQUIRED OR REQUESTED. GET FUCKED.
Old June 5 2013, 01:56 AM   #221
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

It was also on Ch7 news earlier (admittedly the same source). Sounds like more than a rumor this time, though a tryout doesn't mean a lot.

If he were in shape & could be halfway decent, what other backups are there? The Bears have been great at having really bad backup QB's over the years.
Old June 6 2013, 10:30 PM   #222
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Michael Vick doesn't like splitting reps with Nick Foles

Then cry me a fucking river. Maybe if you weren't a turnover-prone headcase who has been completely self-destructive the past two years during any blitz the past two years you wouldn't find yourself in a Quarterback competition. But, since you are, you have to share reps in practice.
Old June 8 2013, 06:25 PM   #223
Borgminister

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post

Just going to go ahead and quote what I said the last time this rumor came up:

what

no

go away you fat fuck

you are not good at football

GO THE FUCK AWAY, JAMARCUS. WE DO NOT WANT YOU. YOUR SERVICES ARE NOT REQUIRED OR REQUESTED. GET FUCKED.
He has a life in cough syrup commercials.
Old June 11 2013, 03:27 AM   #224
Danny99
Vice Admiral

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...213908226.html

So we're going to suffer through another season of Tebow watching.

If the Pats are planning to convert him to a tight end or something fine, but if he's at QB, what are the Pats thinking?
Old June 11 2013, 05:05 AM   #225
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I can think of far worse places for Tebow to land. There will be zero QB controversy and no pressure on Tebow to do anything but sit back and learn. And honestly, if he can't learn how to be consistent under Brady and Belichick, then there really is no hope for him. While I do think he would have been a better backup in a location like SanFran, Washington, or Seattle, I do think that he has a good opportunity in New England.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Closed Thread