Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 1 2013, 09:18 PM   #16
Scout101
Admiral

Re: I just got pick-pocketed...

backstept wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Do you have a belt clip for the phone?
No, they were pickpocketed TODAY, not in 1996. Everyone's mostly over the douchy "look how important I am, i have a cellphone" look
no, I'm pretty sure smartphones are still a luxury status symbol
Sure, just not clipped to your belt obnoxiously. to show off your status symbol now, you gotta take it out of your pocket and fiddle with it, preferably while driving, walking around aimlessly, or during a conversation.

You can hide a belt clip under a shirt, you know.
but why would you, and what would you clip it to? Presumably, if there was some big theft-deterrent system in place, it wouldn't have been stolen. And if you don't intend to clip to your belt, but put in a pocket, why buy the case with the belt clip, or keep that part on.

Outside of blackberry, which has never really kept up with the times anyway, not sure last time I saw a phone case with a belt clip. Maybe cheap flip-phones?

I'm sure they still exist, but just not really mainstream. Maybe for specific uses, like for a contractor outside all day or something, and clip on a rugged case, but in general? "phone on your belt" is pretty dead.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 09:22 PM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Scout101 wrote: View Post
You can hide a belt clip under a shirt, you know.
but why would you, and what would you clip it to?
The belt?

Assuming you don't wear your shirt tucked in, of course. I don't.

Outside of blackberry, which has never really kept up with the times anyway, not sure last time I saw a phone case with a belt clip. Maybe cheap flip-phones?

I'm sure they still exist, but just not really mainstream. Maybe for specific uses, like for a contractor outside all day or something, and clip on a rugged case, but in general? "phone on your belt" is pretty dead.
I bought an Otterbox case for my iPhone, and it came with a belt clip. Linky
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 09:40 PM   #18
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
And I am so pissed off I can barely breathe.

Lunch hour, nice enough day, bit of a headache so I decide to go for a walk in the park to clear my head. About to head down into the rock garden area, when a guy jumps off the wall where he'd been sitting, as if about to go his own way, and "accidentally" bumps into me. "Oh sorry, sorry," hands everywhere as he steadies hismelf, you know the routine.

And then a couple of minutes later, I realise my phone has gone.

Brand new iPhone 5, had it less that a month, no insurance on it. I ran straight to the police station to report it (where they said "Call this number." Hello, he took my phone.) Anyway, they called for me, made a report, decribed the guy best as I could.

I have that "find my iPhone" thing so they're trying to track it that way. It has a pass code on it so he shouldn't get into it any time soon, and I'm pretty sure I set it up that if he puts the wrong code in 10 times, it wipes it.

I've asked my other half to wipe it by remote, but it tells you it has to connect to the internet first before it can do that. There's no bank details or anything on there, but there's addresses and emails and phone numbers. I've had the phone company block the number too.

So I think I've done just about everything I can. But the main thing is just that I'm so f***ing furious! And not a little embarrassed. I know, these people are professionals, they do it all day long, I didn't even feel his hand go into my pocket. But it's humiliating to fall for something so basic.

RRRRRAAAAARRRGGGHHH!
That sounds awful. I hope they find out who did it and you get it back ASAP.

*clutches precious phone to chest and prays it never happens to me*
Old May 2 2013, 06:16 AM   #19
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

just call yourself and leave this message

"I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you return my phone now, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 09:39 AM   #20
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post

"I donít know who you are. I donít know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I donít have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you return my phone now, thatíll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you donít, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."
I did have a passing fantasy of going back to the park today with a knife of some sort, but then I thought that probably wouldn't go down too well when the police come to talk to me later tonight.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 10:32 PM   #21
Gary7
Rear Admiral

So sorry to hear of this!

The talent of the pickpocket is much like the illusionist--get the people focused on something else while they enact their plan without being noticed. The guy probably worked down his routine practicing it over and over again... as one hand makes a quick move for the inside pocket (he probably observed how your jacket was sagging slightly on one side, indicating a smart phone), while the other hand impacts firmly in a place that will startle you, causing you to shift focus to that and not even realize what the other hand had just done.

This is why it is SO important to button up your pockets with valuables. Granted, the more professional pickpockets know how to deal with those, but the chances of being caught are much greater. I knew a guy who worked in the police force and they learned how pickpockets work. Some even carry a specially designed hidden razor that allows them to cut a button off quickly, without much of a tug at all.

Lastly, with a new smart phone that has high value, it's best to put an electronic RFID chip on it that will set off an alarm on your key chain when the phone is beyond a certain distance.

Anyway... the iPhone tracer function is very useful and hopefully you'll eventually get the phone back and without any damage.

Sephiroth wrote:
"I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you return my phone now, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."
Ummm... no. "I will kill you" is the wrong approach. You DO want them to know you have money and you'll pay him $200 to get it back. No resale risk and hassle for him this way--quick money. You just want your phone back. Arrange a meeting place in public. Of course, you can plan things to be not so innocent. Definitely have a buddy as backup, if you can't get the police to assist you on this. Anyway, none of this will work if he can't break the phone code. And of course a hard reset means he can't get access to your voice mail, so leaving a message won't accomplish anything.
Old May 3 2013, 12:32 AM   #22
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
So sorry to hear of this!

The talent of the pickpocket is much like the illusionist--get the people focused on something else while they enact their plan without being noticed. The guy probably worked down his routine practicing it over and over again... as one hand makes a quick move for the inside pocket (he probably observed how your jacket was sagging slightly on one side, indicating a smart phone), while the other hand impacts firmly in a place that will startle you, causing you to shift focus to that and not even realize what the other hand had just done.

This is why it is SO important to button up your pockets with valuables. Granted, the more professional pickpockets know how to deal with those, but the chances of being caught are much greater. I knew a guy who worked in the police force and they learned how pickpockets work. Some even carry a specially designed hidden razor that allows them to cut a button off quickly, without much of a tug at all.

Lastly, with a new smart phone that has high value, it's best to put an electronic RFID chip on it that will set off an alarm on your key chain when the phone is beyond a certain distance.

Anyway... the iPhone tracer function is very useful and hopefully you'll eventually get the phone back and without any damage.

Sephiroth wrote:
"I donít know who you are. I donít know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I donít have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you return my phone now, thatíll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you donít, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."
Ummm... no. "I will kill you" is the wrong approach. You DO want them to know you have money and you'll pay him $200 to get it back. No resale risk and hassle for him this way--quick money. You just want your phone back. Arrange a meeting place in public. Of course, you can plan things to be not so innocent. Definitely have a buddy as backup, if you can't get the police to assist you on this. Anyway, none of this will work if he can't break the phone code. And of course a hard reset means he can't get access to your voice mail, so leaving a message won't accomplish anything.
me thinks you don't get the reference. Watch the movie "Taken".
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 09:13 AM   #23
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

The police came to talk to me last night, and basically told me there's little to no chance of a resolution, and that the phone is probably already sold on or on its way to Taiwan or something. I pretty much assumed as much.

It's reported as stolen though, and I told the phone company the specific ID number of that handset, and they locked it down, which they said means that whoever has it now, it's basically a block of metal in their hand and useless to anyone. I guess that's the best I can hope for.

When I told him where it happened, he basically rolled his eyes and agreed that it's one of the worst areas in London for that. There's gangs of them roam the streets and it's all highly organised. But I have a case report number and I can get proof of purchase from the phone company, so hopefully that will be enough to claim on the home insurance, because I didn't have insurance on the phone itself.

Silver lining - the phone was so new that I hadn't actually got rid of my old phone yet. So I just transferred the number back over to the old phone, and away I go. Still pissed off, though.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote