New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 10 2013, 03:18 AM   #136
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Re: Does TOS Still Look Futuristic to You?

I read somewhere that he was seriously hurt in an accident of some sort a few years ago. I am not sure if he will ever publish that book, much to my dismay.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 06:46 PM   #137
Lord Garth
Captain

TOS looks like steam-punk to me, if that could be applied to the 1960s. Don't read that as a negative point because that's what gives it its character.

With tablets et al, TNG and the later series are about to join it if not already.

The Abrams films look very contemporary so, in 2030, we'll be asking about whether or not those movies still look futuristic.

Eventually this is a problem that hits all science-fiction.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 10:38 PM   #138
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

TNG looked amazingly futuristic to me in 1990. Those reconfigurable touchscreen control panels were mind blowing. But fast-forward to 2013, and I'm writing this on my touchscreen Android phone. And compared to using the real deal and seeing touchscreens everywhere now, the unanimated and unrepsonsive nature of TNG's ones becomes very apparent. So I'd say TOS' almost cartoonish (by today's standards) bridge has aged better, and will continue to do so.
Old April 12 2013, 08:10 PM   #139
Third Nacelle
Captain

While I'll admit that a lot of the technology from all the series is beginning to look dated, the fashion/architecture/design of TOS seems more futuristic to me than the more "contemporary" look of the later series. This is probably because I lived through the 80s and 90s and did not live through the 60s.

The thing is though, we simply DON'T KNOW what the future looks like, so we're in no position to judge. Most things that go out of style eventually come back or at least inspire new styles. A lot of modern Apple products seem to take design inspiration from 1960s Braun electronics. Janice Rand's beehive looks more futuristic than Ishara Yar's mullet, because 60s hairstyles came full circle and inspired mid 2000s hairstyles. The mullet has yet to do that (here's hoping it doesn't).
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 08:19 PM   #140
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
TOS looks like steam-punk to me, if that could be applied to the 1960s. Don't read that as a negative point because that's what gives it its character.
More like "transistor punk," I'd say.
Old April 14 2013, 12:00 AM   #141
xortex
Commodore

The most fururistic was TMP or what was the next phase because of the people thay had working on it. Next is TOS and third is the fan films. The rest is horrible except for the last few years of ENT. Then the SFX got much better but everything else sucked so.. The fan films do good amazing jobs and things.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 11:49 PM   #142
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant

King Daniel wrote: View Post
TNG looked amazingly futuristic to me in 1990. Those reconfigurable touchscreen control panels were mind blowing. But fast-forward to 2013, and I'm writing this on my touchscreen Android phone. And compared to using the real deal and seeing touchscreens everywhere now, the unanimated and unrepsonsive nature of TNG's ones becomes very apparent. So I'd say TOS' almost cartoonish (by today's standards) bridge has aged better, and will continue to do so.
Which is funny, because I have my android phone looking like a TNG LCARS screen.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:37 AM   #143
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Yes, when you look at the Android and iOS cellphone interfaces, TNG looks seriously dated. The only exception might be some of the more elaborate computer displays that were specially created for certain episodes. But the standard LCARS look is rather overly simplistic. TOS does have a certain degree of minimalism for the controls, which helps it sidestep the aging a bit in that regard.

There was something about the camera work in TMP that helped make everything feel real and workable. It does feel more futuristic than what was delivered in TNG.
Old April 17 2013, 06:53 AM   #144
Third Nacelle
Captain

I think the simplicity of LCARS is an asset rather than a detraction. Simple colors on a black background. It always looked timeless to me. And it's intuitive enough that pretty much anyone can operate it (or so it appears on screen), and almost any function can be completed with less than 10 "clicks."
Old April 17 2013, 03:15 PM   #145
HGN2001
Commander

Going way back to the original post, RCA was the parent company of NBC, so they issued edicts to the network, to relay to the producers of shows, to make their shows as eye-poppingly color as they could.

So yes, when you were at a neighbor's house with a color TV and STAR TREK, or any NBC color show came on, you were supposed to be wowed by the colors.

And I think the STAR TREK design crew did a fabulous job in that department. Not only with the primary-color-type uniforms, but with those splashes of colored light that painted the corridors and backdrops of the series.

Yes, it's totally unrealistic, but I sure do love looking at it!

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 12:50 AM   #146
MrArcas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd have to join the "yes and no" camp. A lot of Trek's tech does look dated, but the Enterprise itself still breaks the mold. It doesn't look like what came before of after. It's really an inspired design.
MrArcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:41 PM   #147
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:48 PM   #148
Third Nacelle
Captain

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
Agree.
I feel exactly the opposite. I highly doubt people in the 24th century would care about animations or cool effects or any of the things about iOS or Android that impress you or me. They live their lives surrounded by computers and probably want the interfaces to be as simple and inconspicuous as possible. That's the quality that TNG and TOS share: simple interfaces, the data you need most available at a glance, and pretty much any function completed in a few flicks of the wrist.
Old May 3 2013, 01:53 AM   #149
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
I highly doubt people in the 24th century would care about animations or cool effects or any of the things about iOS or Android that impress you or me. They live their lives surrounded by computers and probably want the interfaces to be as simple and inconspicuous as possible. That's the quality that TNG and TOS share: simple interfaces, the data you need most available at a glance, and pretty much any function completed in a few flicks of the wrist.
Indeed. That fits with the general edict that was put forth to the production departments about finding functionality in everything that was created for the shows. You see guys like Doug Drexler talk about how Star Trek was supposed to look like you could walk in and use it.

That of course also seems to fit how people in the future might actually feel about using computers. They'd be so ubiquitous they don't even have to think about using them.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 02:48 AM   #150
Masao
Fleet Captain

For me, the universe of TOS is and was the future. When I think of the future, I imagine it to look like TOS. I know that some people can't get past the superficial aspects of hairstyles, studio-bound locations, grainy special effects and what not. I think they should try to get past this stuff, because if they can they'll find other rewards. But if they can't, then perhaps TOS is not for them. But I think that because many of us first saw TOS when we were unable to see anything but the wonder, the romance, the adventure, and the endless possibilities, it buried itself deep, deep inside us and will never leave. I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey around the same age (at a real Cinerama screen, no less), and it had a similar effect on me. So, that clean early/mid-1960s International Style aesthetic is my idea of what the future looks like. (That's also one of the reasons I like Mad Men.)

I also saw Lost in Space about this same time, but, for some reason, that never looked futuristic to me. Maybe because, even at that young age, I thought LiS was just stupid.

The "Future" is a moving target. What you think is futuristic today might well look ridiculous in a very short time. Who knows what it will look like. Will it look like TOS? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe Steampunk will be the defining style of the late 21st century, and we'll all be wearing corsets and goggles. But it's fun to think about it. Hope to see you all in the future!

(Note: Part of this post previously appeared on another website)