Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 2 2013, 06:49 PM   #16
MrArcas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: David Gerrold's The Star Wolf

Neat! Man, I hope this flies. I was so stoked about "Star Hunt" back in the day, before it fizzled. So this is sorta-kinda like a second chance
MrArcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 07:58 PM   #17
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Klaus wrote: View Post
I read and enjoyed Yesterday's Children long ago, and the first couple of Chtorr books... but I'd rather see them do a film of The Man Who Folded Himself.
Now THAT was an excellent book. I'd also like a movie version.

Of course the Jon Korie series was good too, although I have yet to read Blood and Fire, which, based on the title, I assume is a rewrite of his rejected TNG script?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:05 PM   #18
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
I'm aware of the origin of the title, and never understood why he didn't change it.
Sometimes a writer falls in love with a title before or during writing, and even though it doesn't fit by the end of the process they don't want to change it.

I keep trying to hang the word "Apocryphon" on stories, but it never sticks.
Well, yes. I've loved a number of titles for work I've created, but always changed them if they didn't fit. Besides, you just save that great title for another story! I pitched a script to TNG titled "None So Noble" and I'll eventually use that title somewhere because I like it so much.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:10 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

RandyS wrote: View Post
...I have yet to read Blood and Fire, which, based on the title, I assume is a rewrite of his rejected TNG script?
Yup. It's pretty much the same story, just transposed to the Star Wolf universe.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:38 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
...I have yet to read Blood and Fire, which, based on the title, I assume is a rewrite of his rejected TNG script?
Yup. It's pretty much the same story, just transposed to the Star Wolf universe.
Plus some swipes at Gene Roddenberry's lawyer.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 09:00 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

^Has Gerrold written anything in the past quarter-century that didn't contain swipes at Roddenberry's lawyer?

Old May 2 2013, 09:20 PM   #22
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Sure! Worlds of Wonder, his book on writing science-fiction, published about fifteen years ago, contained zero swipes at Maizlich.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 10:14 PM   #23
xortex
Commodore

Neat but hackneyed. He's just mad at TNG for snubbing him. I believe Rick Berman's exact words to him when he called was 'What do you want?' It's as warm as lovely as the greeting you'd get from any mafioso member. So I don't blame him for wanting revenge on Berman, GR's lawyer and GR himself for getting rid of him when TNG premiered and in the process trying to be another GR and eclipse his fame which is never gonna happen.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 10:22 PM   #24
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Mysterion wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I was excited for a moment about the prospect of something to fill the void left by Star Trek, but then I saw a promo about a war story with a lot of adolescent posturing and people saying "kick ass" a lot. I guess I'll wait for something else to come along.
You should really give the books a chance before you make a final judgement.

There is really a lot more to it than posturing and "kicking ass".
I don't doubt it, but the video is supposed to sell the TV version to me and instead it turned me off. And, quality notwithstanding, I don't want to contribute to a war story. I've only got so much money and I just gave most of my discretionary budget to OneFund.
Old May 3 2013, 01:54 AM   #25
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

I backed the project because I like Gerrold & Fontana and I want to see more space opera shows, but I don't really think this particular kickstarter is going to make it. $650K is A LOT of money for something that looks and feels this old-fashioned. I mean, the logo looks like it's from a bad 80s video game and the costume designs look like they were rejected from Space Balls for being too silly. Even Space Command "only" made $221K, and that had some pretty big names attached to it and already seemed a lot more polished when their campaign started.
Old May 5 2013, 02:54 AM   #26
Christopher
Writer

A pretty good, comprehensive, and accurate overview of the convoluted history of Gerrold's Star Wolf and its antecedents, as well as an endorsement of the Kickstarter project, has been posted on Comic Book Resources' "Comics Should Be Good" site:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...the-star-wolf/

Old May 5 2013, 03:26 PM   #27
cb31
Lieutenant Commander

I'd give it a shot if it ever gets made but it's only raised 4% of it's goal so it still has a very long way to go!
cb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 06:44 PM   #28
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I have my doubts about this whole thing (that logo don't help), but I chucked in my $5.
Old May 6 2013, 02:58 AM   #29
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Fascinating watching these Kickstarter things.

To make $650K in the 33 days they've allotted means the target average per day needs to be 3.03% of the total (3.03030303030303 actually). By day 5 (today) to be on target you'd want to have 15.15% of the total, but Star Wolf's only reached 4.77%, which is -10.38% low.

None of this is to say it can't happen, as the right exposure could quickly put them back on track or over, assuming there is sufficient interest.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:56 PM   #30
xortex
Commodore

There's no other way to find a rich backer in hollywood. I guess Bill Gates doesn't like science fiction yet you'ld think he'd be the first geek guy to like it along with his other billionaire friends including the people who made billions reverse engineering all his ideas. Gerrold needs to write a letter to the sultan of Brunaii or one of those kings over there and give him a cameo or his own starship and at least one main character of his race represented, and make sure his novels are in afghani book stores and sell well in the middle east and in some of the axis of evil countries but make sure not to bill himself as the great satanic infidel or g.o.d.. etc.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote