Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 2 2013, 07:07 PM   #16
MrArcas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Is Star Trek (the original series) aging really badly?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Do I view TOS through nostalgia-tinted glasses? I'm sure I do. But even when it's bad I'm never bored. I can't say the same thing about Modern Trek.
Well put. I reach
MrArcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I'm almost ashamed of how often I've watched "Turnabout Intruder" (one of the few I have on DVD) compared to some of the 24th century productions.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 07:17 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
I'm almost ashamed of how often I've watched "Turnabout Intruder" (one of the few I have on DVD) compared to some of the 24th century productions.
I love Turnabout Intruder, Shatner gives one hell of a fun performance. But then I also love The Omega Glory, so I might just be insane.
Old May 2 2013, 07:21 PM   #19
lurok
Commodore

Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety.
Old May 2 2013, 07:47 PM   #20
Melakon
Vice Admiral

. . .blah. . ."Turnabout Intruder". . .blah. . .
I love Turnabout Intruder, Shatner gives one hell of a fun performance. But then I also love The Omega Glory, so I might just be insane.
Yeah, Shatner's willingness to so often go out on a limb and be completely crazy saves a lot of the lesser episodes.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:13 PM   #21
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Many people now complain that Star Wars (the original) is slow and boring, but when it came out in 1977 a some people were complaining it was too damned fast. Times and styles change. We're accustomed to cuts of less than a second's duration these days, which would have seemed ridiculously fast to audiences in other eras. So, has it aged badly? That depends on by which metric you're using.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:16 PM   #22
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
Much has changed in 50 years -- editing styles, acting styles, directing styles, writing styles, technology, hair styles, etc.

TOS has a lot of "warts," even by the standards of the 1960s and 1970s, but it remains my favorite Trek television series.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:56 PM   #23
marksound
Fleet Captain

For much of the final days of filming Shat had a high fever, and may very well have been delirious.

Seriously though, I love each and every one of the original episodes.

Except Doomsday Machine.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 09:17 PM   #24
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Jefferies wrote: View Post
the characters are often obtuse and whiny not because of their personalities but because the script uses this as an excuse for actual drama.
Funny, this is exactly what I find wrong with today's television, and why I refuse to watch anything made now, with the exception of The Simpsons.

I think you are making the same mistake most viewers (typically the younger folks) make: you are applying contemporary standards to a show made almost fifty years ago. If you do that, of course it's not going to compare. You need to watch it (or anything else really) with no expectations other than being entertained. That is, after all, what a TV show is for. Well, that, and to sell products of course.

Once you do that, you might find that you enjoy a show alot more, regardless of the time it was made.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Gov Kodos
Admiral

I just finished the first disc of fandom's favorite season of TNG, season three on Blu-ray and out of five episodes only found one remotely watchable (The Survivors).

Do I view TOS through nostalgia-tinted glasses? I'm sure I do. But even when it's bad I'm never bored. I can't say the same thing about Modern Trek.
I love the nostalgia, and TNG and DS9 were what started my decline in Trek viewing.
FalTorPan wrote: View Post
Much has changed in 50 years -- editing styles, acting styles, directing styles, writing styles, technology, hair styles, etc.

TOS has a lot of "warts," even by the standards of the 1960s and 1970s, but it remains my favorite Trek television series.
Quite agree, look at contemporary shows, from Wild Wild West to Gilligan's Island and you'll see that it was made to the standards of its day.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Bear in mind that's it's almost 50 years old, how many other TV shows from that era are still shown in re-runs? The fact that it varies in quality means very little, even modern TV shows can vary in quality from episode to episode. As for pacing, sometimes fast is good, but equally sometimes a slower pace can be good.
How many shows are in reruns from the 90's, much less the 60's? Some folks enjoy entertainment from other eras, while others don't for various reasons. To say something ages badly? That is often a personal dislike trying to mask itself as a fact. Everything ages even kids of the 90's.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:23 AM   #26
MacLeod
Admiral

Nostalgia can play a part at times. To a certain extent our tastes in music/film etc... are definied during our youth. People complain about modern music/films/TV shows etc.. not being as good as it was when they were younger. But of course it would be true to say "No matter the era there is some good and some dire stuff".

Did I grow up on Trek, sure I did I remeber watching it on BBC2 in the 80's when I was a wee nipper, along with other TV shows from that era "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.", "Mission Impossible", the Gerry Anderson shows "Thunderbirds", "Captain Scarletand the Mysterions" etc..

But of course the TV landscape has changed a lot in that time. I remember when we only had 3 TV stations in the UK. But today with hundreds of channels, OnDemand services etc.. Just about everyone is catered for.

Star Trek has withstood the test of time. Is it because of production values, FX, acting etc.. Perhaps that has played a part, but I would say it has stood the test of time because of the stories it told. The best FX in the world can not compensate for the lack of a good story, a good story however can compensate for lacklustre FX.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:27 AM   #27
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

King Daniel wrote: View Post
IMO it's The Next Generation that's aged the worst - I couldn't make it through my last attempt at a rewatch. Awful direction (they stand around, arms at sides like mannequins, taking turns to recite lines), zero excitement and endless prentious, self-congratulatory nonsense. Bleh.
I couldn't agree more. TNG is the only one I can't re-watch beyond a handful of episodes.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:33 AM   #28
nightwind1
Commodore

Is Star Trek (the original series) aging really badly?

Simple answer: NOPE

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:38 AM   #29
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Jefferies wrote: View Post
My question therefore is, is our respect and love for this series based on too much reverie for the past than actual quality that stands the test of time?
This is like saying, "You still love your father? Come on, the old man hasn't updated his look in 40 years. Dump his ass!"
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:57 AM   #30
R. Star
Rear Admiral

So many opinions be touted around as if they're fact.

To me TOS may well have laid down the foundation, but greater things were built upon it. Of course it hasn't aged well. Heck we have more modern technology today than when TNG, DS9 and VOY were airing. It happens and perceptions of the futures change accordingly with time. Besides, a lot of novel writers would be out of work if they couldn't recon mistakes in the shows/movies.

Shatner and Nimoy never seemed more than average actors to me. Certainly the characters they played were iconic, but their acting careers beyond Star Trek weren't that great in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, TOS has a number of great, well written episodes, but it also has a number of just... faceplaming ones. Over all the pace of the show is just too slow to keep my attention or more accurately, my interest, for any amount of time.

It really was the TOS movies that really got me liking the characters more so than the show. Which is why I have to ask if you're talking about the show or movies when asked which series I like better. Certainly there's something to the even/odd rules concerning which movies are better, but for the most part they told a single story, had great adventures and it was fun without being slow or repetitive like the show can be.

So that's my opinion, take it as you will.