Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 27 2013, 05:28 PM   #31
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Re: David Rappaport in "The Most Toys"

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Was Barrymore filmed at all before he was replaced on The Alternative Factor? Then there's Genvieve Bujold. Neither was a death, but similar circumstances.
Max already answered about Barrymore; Bujold's footage can be seen as an extra on the Season 1 Voyager DVD. I never bought it, but I borrowed it from a coworker just to see her.

She's a very good actress, but she did seem out of place in a leadership role. Mulgrew was a better choice.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 05:49 PM   #32
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

It's an awful story. He attempts suicide in March. Presumably he gets some sort of help, or maybe not. In either case, he then legally purchases a gun around April 17th (according to IMDb), and kills himself with it 15 days later.

As far as I know, background checks in CA are supposed to catch things like suicide attempts, but I don't know what the process was in 1990. Either way, he was granted a weapon that he should not have been allowed to receive. Was he even a US citizen?
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 08:13 PM   #33
Worf'sParmach
Commander

jimbotron wrote: View Post
It's an awful story. He attempts suicide in March. Presumably he gets some sort of help, or maybe not. In either case, he then legally purchases a gun around April 17th (according to IMDb), and kills himself with it 15 days later.

As far as I know, background checks in CA are supposed to catch things like suicide attempts, but I don't know what the process was in 1990. Either way, he was granted a weapon that he should not have been allowed to receive. Was he even a US citizen?
Today, information is so instant, they could just do a quick database search and see that he wasn't ok. Back then, did they even have the waiting period for firearms? The information on his attempted suicide probably wasn't in his "file" so soon after the attempt was made.
Old March 27 2013, 09:30 PM   #34
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Speaking of actors missing out on roles, I forget how far into planning Robin Williams was to playing Rasmussen in A Matter of Time. That would have been great. Frewer was more than good enough though.
Old March 31 2013, 08:06 PM   #35
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Rappaport footage confirmed:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/tng...l-be-included/

This is yet another example of the love these guys have for the material. They want the fans to have the very best experience, and I applaud them.
Old April 7 2013, 08:40 AM   #36
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Tosk wrote: View Post
yousirname wrote: View Post
Y'know, I'm not sure I want to see that. It seems a bit macabre.
Surely it's no worse than say, The Crow or Gladiator?
THE CROW is macabre, yes.
Old April 18 2013, 12:35 AM   #37
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I thought he was terrific in Time Bandits. Looked like he really had a lot of potential. It was so saddening to hear of his suicide. But wow, I had no idea David Rappaport would've been Fajo... It's great they're including the footage on the Blu-ray discs. Looking forward to seeing it!
Old May 2 2013, 06:18 AM   #38
Mr_Homn
Captain

Now that the 3rd season is out on blu ray, what does everyone think of Rappaport's performance as Fajo? Does it mesh well with the rest of the episode? I've heard he is more "sinister"... How so? I haven't seen it yet, but I'd love to hear the first impressions of those who have seen it.
Old May 2 2013, 05:41 PM   #39
Borjis
Commodore

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Now that the 3rd season is out on blu ray, what does everyone think of Rappaport's performance as Fajo? Does it mesh well with the rest of the episode? I've heard he is more "sinister"... How so? I haven't seen it yet, but I'd love to hear the first impressions of those who have seen it.

It would have been a great episode, from what I've seen.

Something about him being a little person, makes him more intimidating/sinister than Saul R. portraying the character, though he did a fine job.

I met Saul at work a year ago during some WH13 work, he's kind of a grumpy guy in person...at least that day he was.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 03:31 AM   #40
Jonesy
Commodore

It's kind of unfair to completely judge David, but I wasn't that impressed with what I did see of his footage.

I think that Saul did a fine job, also given the fact that he had basically no time to prepare for the role at all.
Old April 23 2014, 06:03 PM   #41
DataLore1701D
Cadet

I have not seen this footage but knowing what he was capable of, David surely would provide a menacing little person to reckon with and that his size would be used to show his adviseries that it really didn't matter!
As for Saul, I have always liked what he did with the part and granted he had so little time to prepare, one must acknowledge what a great contribution his Kivas is to TNG. Saul made Kivas a person who needed the unique stuff and used it to control his world.
DataLore1701D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 11:53 PM   #42
publiusr
Commodore

Rappaport footage confirmed:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/tng...l-be-included/

This is yet another example of the love these guys have for the material. They want the fans to have the very best experience, and I applaud them.
Trekdom gets more love than actual aerospace history. A lot gets tossed.

erastus25 wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
I have to admit I've never been too impressed with Rubinek's version of the character.
Funny, I thought he was perfect. To each his/her own...
Agreed. He had a certain wistfulness. Rappaport I think would have been better as another character--an associate?

I wonder if the role itself may have gotten to him. Some actors are not unlike Fajo after all--selfish, a bit greedy.

A role can spook an actor...get him depressed--get him to start questioning himself. The role itself could even have been destructive. Rappaport was nothing like Fajo however--that's Charlie Sheen, but on downers.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 12:29 AM   #43
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

There's an interesting remnant from the original casting. The episode makes a big deal that he has the Varon-T disruptor on him at all times as well as others stashed around the ship for him to use, and special note is made on how cruel it is to its victim.

Since Fajo was written for a little person, they gave him that extremely vicious weapon to compensate for his height and be intimidating. With Saul Rubinek (a man of average height) taking over the role, the reason for him having quite so vicious a weapon is moot.
Old May 9 2014, 09:27 PM   #44
publiusr
Commodore

I picked up on that all the same...Saul is tiny compared to Frakes still.

We saw a lot of that Varon-T prop...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 03:05 PM   #45
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

With Saul Rubinek (a man of average height) taking over the role, the reason for him having quite so vicious a weapon is moot.
I don't know, Fajo is into rareties and exemplars. That he would have the most vicious weapon suits his character whatever his size, I think.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote