Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 1 2013, 05:27 PM   #346
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Christopher wrote: View Post
This is based on your extensive personal experience with monster-fighting in real life?
Yes! :P
Old May 1 2013, 05:33 PM   #347
Scout101
Admiral

regardless of whether the game helps or not (no idea, haven't played it), I feel like we need more backstory/worldbuilding here. Spent like 2 minutes in the promo introducing this world, and now we're on to 'bad guy does plot of the week for some reason' episodes. Feel like there's a lot PLANNED here, but we're just not getting any of it. And not getting much in the tidbits week to week. I dunno, just feels lacking...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:40 AM   #348
Jolaris
Commander

I thought it was actually quite ingenious that the Irathian superpower involves people seeing... the past...

Usually it's all "It is the future you see". I can live with people seeing the past, a lot easier to suspend my disbelief.

And my new favourite character is the big gruffy steampunk Irathian. He reminds of so much of Worf, but with a sense of humour, tough on the outside soft on the inside.

To get to the other side of course!
Jolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:08 AM   #349
Christopher
Writer

Jolaris wrote: View Post
I thought it was actually quite ingenious that the Irathian superpower involves people seeing... the past...

Usually it's all "It is the future you see". I can live with people seeing the past, a lot easier to suspend my disbelief.
On the website, there's a deleted scene from the start of episode 2 of Irisa having a vision of the future, specifically the end of the episode. I'm hoping they cut it because they decided not to let her see the future, but I won't be surprised if they do give her precognitive visions in later episodes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:51 AM   #350
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Jolaris wrote: View Post

On the website, there's a deleted scene from the start of episode 2 of Irisa having a vision of the future, specifically the end of the episode. I'm hoping they cut it because they decided not to let her see the future, but I won't be surprised if they do give her precognitive visions in later episodes.
Didn't the leader of the Spirit Riders kind of imply Irisa might be able to see the future?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 05:25 AM   #351
Jolaris
Commander

Oh, that made me a bit wary then, I do hope they don't go that route in the future. :/

I did not get out from his talk about the Sight that it did have to involve the future, just that she was clairvoyant when it comes to the past and the present.

To get to the other side of course!
Jolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 06:21 AM   #352
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

So if we have a character with "the sight" does that tip this more into being a fantasy?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 07:02 AM   #353
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^Nah, psychic abilities have a long tradition in sci-fi.
Old May 2 2013, 02:27 PM   #354
Christopher
Writer

teacake wrote: View Post
So if we have a character with "the sight" does that tip this more into being a fantasy?
It certainly moves it further away from any kind of hard SF, but so do the impossibly huge arthropods, and the humanoid aliens, and the magic terraforming spheres. Basically the most plausible idea they've had so far was the Votan Arks traveling slower than light and their approach being detected years in advance. Otherwise it's all pretty fanciful.

As sojourner said, there's a long tradition in soft SF of treating psionic abilities as a form of science that humans haven't yet mastered. And there have long been people who have genuinely believed that psychic phenomena were provably real and were science fact rather than fantasy -- probably fewer people now than there once were, given that the experiments purporting to prove psychic abilities have been largely discredited as either fraudulent or badly enough designed to be unable to distinguish fraud from reality, but there are still some. Novelist Anne McCaffrey, for instance, believed that psionic powers were real and often featured them in her fiction even while insisting that she only wrote science fiction and never fantasy. (Her Pern novels often get shelved as fantasy because they have dragons, but the dragons are genetically engineered animals on an alien planet.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 05:32 PM   #355
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

Novelist Anne McCaffrey, for instance, believed that psionic powers were real and often featured them in her fiction even while insisting that she only wrote science fiction and never fantasy. (Her Pern novels often get shelved as fantasy because they have dragons, but the dragons are genetically engineered animals on an alien planet.)
They were also genetically engineered form a lifeform native to the planet that happened to resemble miniature dragons

I would have found her ability to see past events, the apparent increase in these visions since coming to Defiance and her anger over Nolan having dismissed them in the past as post traumatic stress induced hallucinations more believable if we had seen her have one of these visions in a previous episode, a fleeting image of someones past that was irrelevant to teh main plot that Nolan explained away as a ptsd hallucination.

I did find it sad how the older irathient guy was obviously a beliver of this sight being a gift from the gods whilst the younger irathient woman who was behind the murders and had obviously been born after the Votans arrival on earth was completely dismissive and skeptical of both the sight and the gods and the older facial scar guy didnt seem to know how to handle that.
Old May 4 2013, 01:21 AM   #356
Worf2DS9
Writer

I really liked this week's episode. I was really immersed in Irisa's issues with the visions/memories, and was fascinated with the Irathient ceremony that allowed her to focus them to get at the truth. That had a very Klingony vibe.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 02:51 AM   #357
Caliburn24
Commodore

This show to me feels very much like Babylon 5 season one. A trading post keeping the peace between different groups, and having our characters deal with a new crisis each week, while dropping hints of world-building and larger issues here and there. Also, the acting(mostly) and the characters don't really jump out and make me emotionally invested in anyone yet. And I felt much the same way about early B5.

Babylon 5 however had a strong showrunner with a pre-planned story, and enough time to tell it. And it of course became much, much more gripping in later seasons. I hope that happens to Defiance, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 04:08 AM   #358
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
Yeah, but Defiance hasn't had any episodes as bad as were in Babylon 5's pilot plus first two episodes. I think there's room for growth.
Old May 4 2013, 05:25 AM   #359
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That's exactly what I was thinking.

The first couple were awful.

The one with an old hand cannon that bonded onto people, rewriting their personalities into an ultimate warrior and then went on a rampage... Euugh.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 05:41 AM   #360
Kegg
Rear Admiral

"Infection", yeah, that's absolutely dreadful, and both shows had pretty cumbersome pilots trying to juggle world-building and mystery elements.