Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 26 2013, 01:39 PM   #1
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

About this small-scale chemical weapons usage in Syria

World War One's chemical weapons usage led to such brutal results that the vast majority of countries vowed never to repeat Germany's example. Other than Saddam's gassing of the Kurds and/or rebel Iraqi factions, wouldn't that make Syria the only nation to use chems against its opponents?

Defense Secretary Hagel believes there has likely been Syrian usage of the CWs, but indications are the US will hand over the ball to NATO or the United Nations.

Your opinions, please.....followed by what you would personally do if you were the United States. (Myself, I doubt I'd go to the UN.)
The Cubed Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: About this small-scale chemical weapons usage in Syria

I think the right thing to do is get world support. Despite what some think, the US should not be a bully nation, nor should we foot the bill for everything which happens in the rest of the world. A coalition means shared expense, as well.
Old April 29 2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

There's no clear evidence such weapons were used at this point.

Were we to get involved, it should not consist of backing any particular armed faction. None of them are people we'd particularly want to be running a country--they are all Islamists of one flavor or another.

At most, we could help stem the humanitarian crisis, but we have a very poor track record of choosing sides to pick winners and losers. And getting involved in other people's civil wars is just a bad idea in general.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

foxhot wrote: View Post
World War One's chemical weapons usage led to such brutal results that the vast majority of countries vowed never to repeat Germany's example. Other than Saddam's gassing of the Kurds and/or rebel Iraqi factions, wouldn't that make Syria the only nation to use chems against its opponents?
No.

What about Great Britain, Spain, Italy, and Japan, for starters? Though perhaps not themselves a nation at the time, what about the Russian Bolsheviks?

In addition, what about Agent Orange?

Or, are you arbitrarily restricting the list to nations that explicitly targeted people?
Old April 29 2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Ln X
Fleet Captain

It seems from reports that both the rebels and the Syrian government are using chemical weapons. The best option for the US would be to do nothing and let this civil war continue until both sides want a ceasefire and then call for international assistance.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:45 AM   #6
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

One observation I would make in reading and writing about this on a regular basis is the coverage about the new intelligence, and our politicians reactions to it, resembles the media drumbeat that proceeded the Iraq invasion.

Chemical weapons notwithstanding, it's no wonder the US or other foreign powers seem uninterested in doing anything. Some of the rebel fighting groups like Al-Nusra Front are linked to al-Qaeda, with several others in the realm of islamic extremism. Even if the makeup of the rebel forces was not a complete clusterfuck, there aren't any consistently held rebel areas to stage forces and supplies like their were in Libya
Old May 2 2013, 10:21 AM   #7
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Chemical weapons have been used extensively in the last century. WWI didn't even begin to put an end to that.

As for Syria, there's no reason for the US to unilaterally intervene. It's not like Afghanistan, where an ally was invaded, or Iraq, where the invader of an ally was in violation of their terms of surrender. Syria would be another Vietnam, and end just as badly.

If the motivation is the humanitarian disaster, it needs to be the United Nations that intervenes. I would not be opposed to being part of a multinational force, as long as it were planned and executed competently.