Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 2 2013, 12:49 AM   #91
horatio83
Commodore

Re: Ryva Takes On Enterprise (Again)

R. Star wrote: View Post
horatio83 wrote: View Post
Archer does the right thing. These guys gotta protect their cargo, not take prisoners, mistreat them and make the Nausicaans do more than just take their cargo.
Taking the prisoner wasn't wrong. As I said previously, the alternatives are to kill him, or let him rob you blind. Both seem worse. Archer doing the right thing though? He escalated the situation with that silly threat to remove all the components they installed when he should've been trying to talk the Fortunate down, and take the prisoner(who by maritime law is a pirate) until Starfleet can establish diplomatic contact with the Naussicans and sort this out.
Nonsense, Archer did everything right and acted like the captain of the Fortunate would have done. The young kid couldn't handle the big seat, had to compensate for it via playing tough boy, nearly destroyed the Fortunate while fighting with the Naussicans and was demoted once the old man was fit again.
Old May 2 2013, 01:02 AM   #92
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
He wanted to prove himself capable, but instead Shaka, when the walls fell.
You must have seen my post about "Darmok".
Yeah, seemed as good a time as any.
Old May 2 2013, 01:18 AM   #93
R. Star
Rear Admiral

First Officer Ryan's mistake was torturing the prisoner. Then he lied about the situation when Enterprise responded to a distress call sent without his consent. He wanted to prove himself capable, but instead Shaka, when the walls fell.
Agreed. He handled himself poorly as well, but Archer didn't make it any better. Instead of trying to talk Ryan down, Archer just forced his hand by issuing that threat thus forcing the conflict he was supposedly trying to avoid.
Old May 2 2013, 05:12 AM   #94
Ryva Brall
Commander

Okay, you guys, settle down. I have a new episode for you to take apart.

Cold Front:

Oh, boy. Time travel already? Jeez, guys, we're not even halfway through the first season.

So it turns out that a member of the Enterprise crew is actually some sort of temporal agent from the future. Well, I highly doubt it was a surprise to anyone watching that Daniels (Matt Winston, who I'm pretty sure was in Galaxy Quest) was not who he appeared to be. From his very first scene, it was obvious that he would figure prominently in this episode, for one reason or another. Maybe if he had appeared once or twice in previous episodes, it would have been more of a surprise when it was revealed who he really was. Oh well. Just one more missed opportunity.

The interesting part of this episode is the mystery surrounding the motives of both Daniels and Silik. Daniels claims he's there to apprehend Silik, but Silik claims his mission was to prevent the Enterprise from being destroyed. Archer, naturally, is stuck trying to decide who to believe. Ultimately, he trusts Daniels, which seems to be the right choice, as Silik ends up shooting Archer, vaporizing Daniels, stealing his little temporal snowglobe dealie, and escaping through the shuttle bay door. (I'm pretty sure you can't sky-dive in space, but I'll let it slide.)

So, is Silik a bad guy? Looks that way. But then again, I don't remember anything about this Temporal Cold War story arc from the first time I watched ENT. So what do I know?

There were some dumb things about this episode that the writers apparently didn't catch. Like Daniels saying that he didn't want anyone to know he was a time traveller, and then walking through walls right in front of the engineering crew. And how is it that the universal translator can instantly translate what those alien pilgrims were saying, even though it's never heard a word of their language before? And yet it magically doesn't translate the invocation of the Great Plume of Whoozawhatsits when Phlox is speaking? (AAAHH, shut up, Ryva, don't think about it!)

I did like the little tidbit that Phlox is interested in other species' religions. It was consistent with his character's natural curiosity. I also liked the story with the aliens on their pilgrimage, and the scenes where the Enterprise crew showed them around the ship. The whole "meeting new civilizations" thing felt like genuine Trek to me. And the shots of the stellar nursery were beautiful.

This episode was directed by Robert Duncan McNeill. Yay! I've enjoyed his directing in the past, for VOY as well as for the series Chuck. And, well, despite the unoriginal time travel premise and the usual plot holes, I think he did a good job with what he was given to work with. The camera work was nicely done, and the acting was on a better level than what I've seen so far. Well done, Robbie.
Old May 2 2013, 05:21 AM   #95
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I dislike this episode simply because it contains Temporal Cold War nonsense. Enterprise has more time travel related episodes than Voyager, and that's saying something given it only ran four seasons. It's not the worst one by far, but it just sets prescent for the godawful nonsense to come. I could rant more... but it'd be spoiler heavy.

Phlox's bubbly curiosity was a nice change from the status quo, and I never thought it was annoying though a lot of people seem to. As for the universal translator... it's a very plot sensitive device in the early 22nd century, working at some times, not working at others.
Old May 2 2013, 05:36 AM   #96
Ryva Brall
Commander

Phlox's bubbly curiosity was a nice change from the status quo, and I never thought it was annoying though a lot of people seem to.
To be honest, John Billingsley is one of the few things keeping me watching at this point... other than my obsession with watching every Trek series, whether it's good or not. After ENT, I plan to watch The Animated Series.

As for the universal translator... it's a very plot sensitive device in the early 22nd century, working at some times, not working at others.
I know, I know... I need to just let it go. But they might as well put Hoshi in a miniskirt, because for all her skills in linguistics, she's basically become this show's Uhura; in other words, the Enterprise's phone receptionist.
Old May 2 2013, 08:34 AM   #97
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I hated the Temporal Cold War from the moment it began in "Broken Bow". Braga claimed it was the result of the network wanting something futuristic. Something futuristic in a science fiction series? Oh, please. That doesn't necessarily mean the TCW was the network's idea, no matter how Braga wants to paint it after the fact. It was bad enough the pilot had to introduce the Enterprise, its crew, and its mission, but it saddles us with this big mysterious war and its various factions as well. Even the more popular Xindi Arc is part of it, as an arc within an arc. The damn TCW even stretches into the start of the 4th season, so until the network said wrap up the arc, they must have intended for it to run 7 years.
Old May 2 2013, 09:15 AM   #98
R. Star
Rear Admiral

To be honest, John Billingsley is one of the few things keeping me watching at this point... other than my obsession with watching every Trek series, whether it's good or not.
Um... you may wanna do yourself a favor and skip Dear Doctor then...

The damn TCW even stretches into the start of the 4th season, so until the network said wrap up the arc, they must have intended for it to run 7 years.
Even that last episode in the arc before they dropped it just made me want to....
Old May 2 2013, 03:42 PM   #99
Mutai Sho-Rin

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
No, no, no. Dear Doctor is in my top 5 ENT favorites on a host of different levels. If Billingsley's work intrigues you, this one is special.
Old May 2 2013, 07:23 PM   #100
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well I find it one of the most morally bankrupt episodes in all Trek... but we can tear that one apart spoiler free once Ryva gets to it!
Old May 3 2013, 02:23 AM   #101
Ryva Brall
Commander

Oh, I've heard things about "Dear Doctor"...and none of them good. I know I watched it when it first aired, but of course I don't remember anything about it. I figure, if I really hate it, I'll just pretend it's not canon. Crisis averted!
Old May 3 2013, 03:39 AM   #102
feek61
Captain

I am rather fond of "Dear Doctor." Will be looking forward to your impression of it.

Interesting how the Doctor character in many Trek series were stand-outs.
Old May 4 2013, 05:46 AM   #103
Ryva Brall
Commander

Silent Enemy:

A pretty average episode, but better than most I've seen so far. Some strange aliens attack the ship, Archer is forced to acknowledge that the Enterprise's weapons are inadequate, and finally does something about it. Also, I find out that Malcolm and I have the same favorite food.

There's a moment in this episode where Archer displays a rare moment of maturity. I can't remember his exact words, but he basically admits to Trip that they weren't fully prepared when they left Earth. I'm surprised he actually owned up to this. Maybe he's growing a brain at last.

Except, if the Enterprise just happened to have the parts for three phase cannons just lying around, why haven't they installed them before now? They've had plenty of opportunities in the last five months. And why do they decide they don't need to go back to Jupiter Station anymore, just because their phase cannons just happened to work this one time during their encounter with this one alien ship? It also blew out half the relays on the ship. Not exactly the result you want to see in a weapon.

Anyway, the aliens were cool. I liked that they weren't just people with prosthetic makeup, but actually looked like aliens. It made them more mysterious and unsettling. Although something tells me we'll probably never see them again.

The B-story was kind of meh, and felt out of place, but at least they gave some attention to Malcolm's character. It's nice to see a Trek character who's introverted but not a jerk. And hey, he loves pineapple. So he can't be all bad.

Next up: Dear Doctor. Dun-dun-dunnnnn!
Old May 4 2013, 05:57 AM   #104
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Silent Enemy:

A pretty average episode, but better than most I've seen so far. Some strange aliens attack the ship, Archer is forced to acknowledge that the Enterprise's weapons are inadequate, and finally does something about it. Also, I find out that Malcolm and I have the same favorite food.

There's a moment in this episode where Archer displays a rare moment of maturity. I can't remember his exact words, but he basically admits to Trip that they weren't fully prepared when they left Earth. I'm surprised he actually owned up to this. Maybe he's growing a brain at last.

Except, if the Enterprise just happened to have the parts for three phase cannons just lying around, why haven't they installed them before now? They've had plenty of opportunities in the last five months. And why do they decide they don't need to go back to Jupiter Station anymore, just because their phase cannons just happened to work this one time during their encounter with this one alien ship? It also blew out half the relays on the ship. Not exactly the result you want to see in a weapon.

Anyway, the aliens were cool. I liked that they weren't just people with prosthetic makeup, but actually looked like aliens. It made them more mysterious and unsettling. Although something tells me we'll probably never see them again.

The B-story was kind of meh, and felt out of place, but at least they gave some attention to Malcolm's character. It's nice to see a Trek character who's introverted but not a jerk. And hey, he loves pineapple. So he can't be all bad.

Next up: Dear Doctor. Dun-dun-dunnnnn!
Well, even I can't find much wrong with this episode. Malcom's happy happy, joy joy that he gets to blow stuff up and get's pineapples. Though does Phlox just give away anyone's medical info on request? Guess that's small change compared to next week though!

Also, these mysterious enemies... as fascinating as they are.. naturally, you're right, we never see them again. But it was an entertaining episode, if rather average.
Old May 4 2013, 06:03 AM   #105
Ryva Brall
Commander

Also, these mysterious enemies... as fascinating as they are.. naturally, you're right, we never see them again.
Totally called it! Yeah, somehow I suspected they were just a plot device, to emphasize the need for some better weapons. I suppose it's just as well. It was becoming a bit embarrassing to watch the Enterprise getting their asses handed to them in almost every battle.