Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 23 2013, 06:23 PM   #31
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Re: The Cleveland show is cancelled

This is an opportunity for the FG franchise. One spinoff dies another takes its place. Mort the Jew anyone!?
Old April 23 2013, 06:37 PM   #32
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

*Does the naked dance of joy* About bloody time!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:35 PM   #33
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Can't say I am sorry to see it go. I watched the first few episodes and it was pretty awful.

I hope they bring Cleveland back to Family Guy now. You can never have enough of Peter destroying Cleveland's home while he's taking a bath.
Not that I watch the show anyway, but that would be a cool way to reintroduce him. Have his house destroyed and his bathtub falls. Then Peter walks over and says "when did you move back" and he can say "last week" or something like that.
Old April 24 2013, 12:00 AM   #34
FFunctionalData
Lieutenant Commander

well i liked the show.

Not enough to care that it is getting cancelled but i liked it anyway.
FFunctionalData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 01:30 AM   #35
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA

I'm shocked it lasted this long... Next up, Quagmeyer will get his own show!
Old May 2 2013, 02:09 AM   #36
The Wormhole
Admiral

Thing is, when you get down to it, Quagmire is a rapist. Having him as a prominent character on a show is ballsy enough, Fox risks backlash giving him his own show. Although the show has tried to show a decent side to him, like the episode where he defends his sister from her abusive boyfriend, he's still a pretty horrible person in general.

Of course, if you really want backlash, a show where Quagmire moves in with Herbert the pedophile ought to set everyone off.
Old May 2 2013, 03:06 AM   #37
the G-man
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Thing is, when you get down to it, Quagmire is a rapist....Although the show has tried to show a decent side to him...
Yeah, that is one of the strangest aspects of the show. One moment, Quagmire is roofie-ing some woman and the next he's the gang's voice of reason.

Of course on this show, he's not the only rapist or attempted rapist. Lois had sex with Meg's underaged boyfriend once and there was the time that Peter decided he was a redneck and tried to have sex with Meg. And even Herbert is portrayed as kind of a benign fellow for a child molester.

In short, on this show, Quagmire's not exactly an outlier.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 01:39 PM   #38
foxhot
Fleet Captain

I saw the abusive boyfriend episode the other night. Even though it had its typically outrageosly funny moments, having Lois Griffin lecture Quagmire's sister on abusive violence, after the countless bloody fights she's had with Peter, boggles the mind. None of the smarter characters bothered to point out the irony.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 01:49 PM   #39
The Wormhole
Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
Thing is, when you get down to it, Quagmire is a rapist....Although the show has tried to show a decent side to him...
Yeah, that is one of the strangest aspects of the show. One moment, Quagmire is roofie-ing some woman and the next he's the gang's voice of reason.
Although, I do like it when they focus on Quagmire's hatred of Brian, mainly because Quagmire's grievances really do accurately sum Brian up perfectly. Particularly when they first started it with Brian spending an entire episode trying to get Quagmire to like him, then in the end asking Quagmire what his problem is and Quagmire launches into a minute long rant venting his frustrations on Brian.
Old May 2 2013, 04:15 PM   #40
the G-man
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
Although, I do like it when they focus on Quagmire's hatred of Brian, mainly because Quagmire's grievances really do accurately sum Brian up perfectly. Particularly when they first started it with Brian spending an entire episode trying to get Quagmire to like him, then in the end asking Quagmire what his problem is and Quagmire launches into a minute long rant venting his frustrations on Brian.
Yes, that was actually the moment where I first saw the whole "Quagmire paradox" and quite enjoyed it, for the reasons you mentioned.

foxhot wrote: View Post
I saw the abusive boyfriend episode the other night. Even though it had its typically outrageosly funny moments, having Lois Griffin lecture Quagmire's sister on abusive violence, after the countless bloody fights she's had with Peter, boggles the mind. None of the smarter characters bothered to point out the irony.
The writers of FG are neither as smart nor as self aware as they would like to think they are.
Old May 2 2013, 06:29 PM   #41
foxhot
Fleet Captain

I'm not certain of that. It's sort of polarized in the show's approach. One day they'll mention the DuMont Network from the 50s, but more often they'll toss in the weekly bleeped-out words plus say ''bitch'' for good measure. Anyhow, I see it as smart people catering to some in the audience who will not get all the humor. Chris and Peter types, but especially Chris types. My hatred of Chris as a character is in the stratosphere....
Old May 2 2013, 07:43 PM   #42
the G-man
Commodore

Oh, I am sure they are extremely well educated but they don't seem to understand that their occasional forays into "very special episode" territory are neither funny nor insightful and, in fact, on a show like this, are even more off putting than on something like "Blossom" or "Different Strokes."
Old May 2 2013, 10:35 PM   #43
foxhot
Fleet Captain

I think one of the first shows to go Very Special was THE FACTS OF LIFE, which was never a great show, yet did a great VSE way back about 1981 or so involving self-defense against would-be rapists. What made it funny AND in character were the key actresses's reactions to hypothetical attack situations. For a public service announcement, it did the job well.

But now in the 2010s we have Mr. Giggety as our new moral compass. It still beats hearing ''Look at me, I'm {whoever} for the 13,864th time. Or playing an entire song just to fill time.
Old May 2 2013, 10:47 PM   #44
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

What is the word on McFarlane's Flintstones remake? Is it possible Fox is just axing Cleveland to make room for that? In which case, we're just replacing Black Family Guy with Caveman Family Guy.
The rub is, most black people didn't like The Cleavland Show, from what I can gather. I once came across a comment in an article about the show Daria that was focused on the one black character in it wishing that she had her own show, instead of something like The Cleavland Show (the article in question is here: On Race, Feminism, and Jodie Landon).

For myself, I've only seen one episode of The Cleavland Show, and all I can say is 'meh'.

foxhot wrote: View Post
I think one of the first shows to go Very Special was THE FACTS OF LIFE, which was never a great show, yet did a great VSE way back about 1981 or so involving self-defense against would-be rapists. What made it funny AND in character were the key actresses's reactions to hypothetical attack situations. For a public service announcement, it did the job well.

But now in the 2010s we have Mr. Giggety as our new moral compass. It still beats hearing ''Look at me, I'm {whoever} for the 13,864th time. Or playing an entire song just to fill time.
The Facts Of Life wasn't the first to do this at all; the very first ones of this type of episode were in the 1960's, one of them being 'The Shark Affair' from The Man From UNCLE, a few episodes of All In The Family, the abortion episode of Maude, and the episode 'Elegy For A Pig' of Adam 12.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; May 2 2013 at 11:39 PM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 03:30 AM   #45
The Wormhole
Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
What is the word on McFarlane's Flintstones remake? Is it possible Fox is just axing Cleveland to make room for that? In which case, we're just replacing Black Family Guy with Caveman Family Guy.
The rub is, most black people didn't like The Cleavland Show, from what I can gather. I once came across a comment in an article about the show Daria that was focused on the one black character in it wishing that she had her own show, instead of something like The Cleavland Show (the article in question is here: On Race, Feminism, and Jodie Landon).
All I meant when I called The Cleveland Show "Black Family Guy" was that it's Family Guy but with a black lead character. It's actually a common joke, along with calling American Dad "CIA Agent Family Guy" or "Republican Family Guy."