IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 29 2013, 10:38 AM   #31
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Exact runtime verified.

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
On the 2001: A Space Odyssey Blu-ray, they actually preserve the intermission built into the original theatrical presentation.
Yes, I also recall the intermission in "2001" - and another school excursion, to see "David Copperfield", in the early 70s. When the "Intermission" curtain dropped, the teachers suddenly realised we'd be late for Sport, so we had to leave the cinema and head back to school. Crazy!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 02:58 PM   #32
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

mattman8907 wrote: View Post
the only movie where there was an intermission was Gods and Generals.
No.

Lawrence of Arabia
Gone with the Wind
Spartacus
Ben-Hur

These are just the ones in my collection. I'm sure there are others. And many such films also had introductory music (sometimes approaching 8-10 mins. long) with no image or a static image. Unimaginable in today's frenetic world, but rather impressive in its day.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 04:12 PM   #33
Scruggernaut
Ensign

View Scruggernaut's Twitter Profile

I'm pretty damn happy with this runtime.
Scruggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 06:22 AM   #34
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Grant wrote: View Post
BBFC has rated STID and it's 2 hour 11 minutes and 58 seconds or 131m 58s.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/search/release...?advanced=true
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
A little longer than the last one. Good.
i think this one might be longer than the motion picture or at least on par with the run time of TMP.
The theatrical version of TMP ran exactly 5 seconds longer!!
ooh 5 seconds.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:54 PM   #35
Grant
Fleet Captain

i think this one might be longer than the motion picture or at least on par with the run time of TMP.
ooh 5 seconds.

Is there a point to your post?
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 07:58 PM   #36
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

ooh 5 seconds.

It reads to me like a response to your previous post concerning the difference in runtime. (I've emphasized the pertinent parts in the exchange for clarity.)
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 08:17 PM   #37
Grant
Fleet Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

ooh 5 seconds.

It reads to me like a response to your previous post concerning the difference in runtime. (I've emphasized the pertinent parts in the exchange for clarity.)
Yeah, I guess, but I started this thread with a very plain post with nothing but the exact run-time of the movie so as to inform anybody who was interested---which I hope it did.

Then the thread kind of turned to banter about holding in ones pee--which is also kind of to be expected, but when someone actually is interested in the subject (runtime) compared to the other longest movie I decided to look that up.

Well it turns out TMP happens to be 5 seconds longer--so to be informative--I post that--- finding it somewhat what that they clock in at so close a runtime.

Then he posts the oddly sarcastic "Ohh 5 seconds longer" with the roll eyes.

I kind of wonder what is the point--since he clearly he doesn't understand how or what the roll eyes means.

He's rolling his eyes because i found out the two movies are 5 seconds different?

I kind of thought it was a slightlyinteresting fact to know.

Two movies in the same franchise that couldn't possibly more unlike each other besides the characters in them, separated by 33 and a half years----and 5 seconds!

First thing I thought of when i read the new movie was 132 min was, "Does, that make it the longest trek movie?" I'm glad to know i wasn't alone in finding that interesting.

Although, i guess it was only worthy of an eye roll from him!
Old May 1 2013, 09:39 PM   #38
Oso Blanco
Commodore

How did you know about the runtime to the second? I read about it clocking in at 132 minutes, but how did you know about how many seconds more or less?

By the way, German cinemas are giving a runtime of 129 minutes. I thought the PAL speed up only affects tv and dvd?
Old May 2 2013, 01:07 AM   #39
Grant
Fleet Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
How did you know about the runtime to the second? I read about it clocking in at 132 minutes, but how did you know about how many seconds more or less?

By the way, German cinemas are giving a runtime of 129 minutes. I thought the PAL speed up only affects tv and dvd?

I posted a link on my opening post from the BBFC British Board of Film Classification.

They review every theatrical (and video) release of every movie released in the UK (down to the second)

That is also how I went back and found the exact running time of the theatrical version of TMP from 1979 (they've been doing this for a hundred years!) Not on the internet of course!

There are allowances for the video version because of the PAL system they use but theatrical versions are always the same.

There are some times as in Avengers where they throw in few seconds more for the US (schwarma scene) but generally it's exactly the same for current new releases.

As for the German release--I'd bet a few bucks it actually turns out to be the same 131- 58 as the UK version.

Also, since in recent years the UK gets some movies before the US---I can find out weeks in advance what the running time is going to be. We don't have an internet site for the USA that does that in any case. The get reviewed in final form and get a rating from the MPAA but they don't post the running time for the public.
Old May 2 2013, 10:36 AM   #40
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I posted a link on my opening post from the BBFC British Board of Film Classification.

They review every theatrical (and video) release of every movie released in the UK (down to the second)

That is also how I went back and found the exact running time of the theatrical version of TMP from 1979 (they've been doing this for a hundred years!) Not on the internet of course!

There are allowances for the video version because of the PAL system they use but theatrical versions are always the same.

There are some times as in Avengers where they throw in few seconds more for the US (schwarma scene) but generally it's exactly the same for current new releases.

As for the German release--I'd bet a few bucks it actually turns out to be the same 131- 58 as the UK version.

Also, since in recent years the UK gets some movies before the US---I can find out weeks in advance what the running time is going to be. We don't have an internet site for the USA that does that in any case. The get reviewed in final form and get a rating from the MPAA but they don't post the running time for the public.
I see, maybe I should have checked your link first ...

Since this is the runtime from the UK, NTSC is not an issue anyway. Gotta keep an eye on the FSK site, which is the German equivalent to the BBFC. They still don't have STID listed there ...
Old May 7 2013, 12:27 PM   #41
Oso Blanco
Commodore

So, the German FSK runtime is up:

24 fps: 132 Min 35 Sek
25 fps: 127 Min 17 Sek
Old May 7 2013, 06:04 PM   #42
Grant
Fleet Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
So, the German FSK runtime is up:

24 fps: 132 Min 35 Sek
25 fps: 127 Min 17 Sek
Almost certainly the differences in time are related to the credits and not the content.

For examply I just within the last 10 minutes learned the the BBFC has classified the movie AGAIN at 133min 07 sec------1min 09 seconds longer than before.

The 2D and 3D versions are both listed at 131min 58 sec.

Fairly certain this longer version is the IMAX version---same cut with altered credits. Perhaps the formating in IMAX forces changes in the speed/layout of the credits.

At any rate that now makes STID the longest theatrical Trek movie.