RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,062
Posts: 5,431,925
Members: 24,925
Currently online: 577
Newest member: dracopticon

TrekToday headlines

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 1 2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Candlefright
Admiral
 
Candlefright's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...r-with-his-gun

A five-year-old US boy accidentally shot his two-year-old sister to death with a rifle he had received as a gift last year, authorities say.
The children's mother was home on Tuesday (local time) but had stepped onto the porch for "no more than three minutes", Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told WKYT-TV.
White told the Lexington Herald-Leader newspaper the boy received the .22-calibre rifle, especially made for children, as a gift. He said the rifle was kept in a corner, and the family didn't realize a bullet was left inside it.
White said the shooting was an accident. He did not return a telephone call from The Associated Press.
State police said the shooting occurred when the boy was "playing" with the rifle. It is not clear whether any charges will be filed, said Kentucky State Police spokesman Trooper Billy Gregory.
White identified the gun as a Crickett, referring to a company that specifically makes guns, clothes and books for children. "It's a little rifle for a kid. ... The little boy's used to shooting the little gun."
Keystone Sporting Arms produced 60,000 Crickett and Chipmunk rifles in 2008, according to its website. It also makes guns for adults.
The company's slogan is "my first rifle", and its website has a "Kids Corner" section with photos of children at shooting ranges and on bird and deer hunts.
The 'specifically makes guns for children' part is the most disturbing piece of news print I've read all year.
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlefright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral
 
Professor McGonagall's Avatar
 
Location: Visiting with Tora Ziyal
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

OMG! Beyond that, I'm speechless.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Winged Victory
Captain
 
Winged Victory's Avatar
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Candlelight wrote: View Post
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...r-with-his-gun


The 'specifically makes guns for children' part is the most disturbing piece of news print I've read all year.
I had no idea guns were made specifically for children. Sickening. And how horrible for that family.
__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."- Mahatma Gandhi
Winged Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Parents should have gotten the dumb kid a water gun instead.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 12:20 AM   #5
farmkid
Commodore
 
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

I have no problem with making guns for kids. I learned to shoot as a young child, as did my siblings, and my in-laws. Building guns that fit a child's shorter arms is fine. A kid who grows up shooting and learning proper safety practices will be safe as an adult as well. I've seen plenty of adults (go find pictures of some of our politicians crusading against guns for some examples) who were downright scary with a gun because they had no idea how to handle one because they were never taught. It's easier to teach a child than an adult.

The problem here isn't the existence of such a gun; the problem is giving a 5-year old their own gun. Even more of a problem is the fact that the gun was sitting in the corner with a bullet in it. There are two major problems right there and that's what these parents should be brought up on charges for. If a parent buys a gun for their kid, it is absolutely incumbent upon them to store the gun properly and never have it anywhere the kid can get access to it without adult supervision and the kid absolutely must be taught and be able to demonstrate proper safety practices before the gun is ever loaded.
__________________
Computers are like the God of the Old Testament: lots of rules and no mercy.
farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 12:29 AM   #6
StarMan
Vice Admiral
 
StarMan's Avatar
 
Location: ... in another place.
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Candlelight wrote: View Post
"It's a little rifle for a kid. ... The little boy's used to shooting the little gun."
Keystone Sporting Arms produced 60,000 Crickett and Chipmunk rifles in 2008, according to its website. It also makes guns for adults.
The company's slogan is "my first rifle", and its website has a "Kids Corner" section with photos of children at shooting ranges and on bird and deer hunts.
This is in it's own special category of idiocy.
__________________
Let's rock!
StarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 12:43 AM   #7
Kirby
Rear Admiral
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Location: Alt: 5280
View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

farmkid wrote: View Post
Even more of a problem is the fact that the gun was sitting in the corner with a bullet in it. There are two major problems right there and that's what these parents should be brought up on charges for. If a parent buys a gun for their kid, it is absolutely incumbent upon them to store the gun properly and never have it anywhere the kid can get access to it without adult supervision and the kid absolutely must be taught and be able to demonstrate proper safety practices before the gun is ever loaded.
Yep. What moronic parents; If you have guns in the house they need to be put away where kids can't easily get to them. A 'lil kids' gun is still a gun, and while it's cute and small it can, and has, ended a life due to improper handling.

The parents need to be brought up on charges, and my prayers go out to this little guy who has to go through life aware of what happened.
__________________
Give each other $10, put it on Underhill.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 02:20 AM   #8
Death
Admiral
 
Death's Avatar
 
Location: Data Holmes
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

farmkid wrote: View Post
I have no problem with making guns for kids. I learned to shoot as a young child, as did my siblings, and my in-laws. Building guns that fit a child's shorter arms is fine. A kid who grows up shooting and learning proper safety practices will be safe as an adult as well. I've seen plenty of adults (go find pictures of some of our politicians crusading against guns for some examples) who were downright scary with a gun because they had no idea how to handle one because they were never taught. It's easier to teach a child than an adult.

The problem here isn't the existence of such a gun; the problem is giving a 5-year old their own gun. Even more of a problem is the fact that the gun was sitting in the corner with a bullet in it. There are two major problems right there and that's what these parents should be brought up on charges for. If a parent buys a gun for their kid, it is absolutely incumbent upon them to store the gun properly and never have it anywhere the kid can get access to it without adult supervision and the kid absolutely must be taught and be able to demonstrate proper safety practices before the gun is ever loaded.
Indeed. Very well put.

Dream wrote: View Post
Parents should have gotten the dumb kid a water gun instead.
water "guns" teach kids way more bad habits than real guns, and make children much more dangerious when presented a real firearm.
__________________
I have become death, destroyer of threads.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 02:39 AM   #9
horatio83
Commodore
 
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
water "guns" teach kids way more bad habits than real guns, and make children much more dangerious when presented a real firearm.
Yeah, kids who play with bullets will become great citizens whereas those play with water (oh my god, with water, no way !!!) will end horribly.
__________________
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer. - former US Secretary of State and unconvicted war criminal Henry Kissinger
horatio83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 02:52 AM   #10
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

farmkid wrote: View Post
I have no problem with making guns for kids. I learned to shoot as a young child, as did my siblings, and my in-laws. Building guns that fit a child's shorter arms is fine. A kid who grows up shooting and learning proper safety practices will be safe as an adult as well. I've seen plenty of adults (go find pictures of some of our politicians crusading against guns for some examples) who were downright scary with a gun because they had no idea how to handle one because they were never taught. It's easier to teach a child than an adult.

The problem here isn't the existence of such a gun; the problem is giving a 5-year old their own gun. Even more of a problem is the fact that the gun was sitting in the corner with a bullet in it. There are two major problems right there and that's what these parents should be brought up on charges for. If a parent buys a gun for their kid, it is absolutely incumbent upon them to store the gun properly and never have it anywhere the kid can get access to it without adult supervision and the kid absolutely must be taught and be able to demonstrate proper safety practices before the gun is ever loaded.
This, exactly.
__________________

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:35 AM   #11
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

How 'bout this for a rule: if you're too young for Space Mountain, you shouldn't shoot a gun, period.

And yes, prosecute the parents.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:31 AM   #12
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral
 
Brown-Eyed Ghoul's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

The first time I ever fired a gun was at Boy Scout camp when I was 12 years old. That was the age at which you graduated from air rifles (BB guns) to real firearms for target shooting, and it seems a reasonable age to me. But giving a gun to a five-year-old? That's just sheer lunacy.

Oh, and I haven't had much to do with guns since. I'm a lousy shot.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Brown-Eyed Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:48 AM   #13
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Gaith wrote: View Post
How 'bout this for a rule: if you're too young for Space Mountain, you shouldn't shoot a gun, period.
There's no age requirement for Space Mountain, just a height one.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:49 AM   #14
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

I think they should make pornography especially for children. You'd have to supervize them with it of course, but it would help them understand sexuality better for later in life. Kids who grow up without pronography will be much more dangerous when it comes time for sexual relations.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 05:16 AM   #15
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Kids guns have been around as long as guns have. In Appalachia many kids got their first gun at age six, almost invariably a junior .22 rifle. The average age for getting a personal rifle was 11 or 12, though. I was probably seven or eight before I started shooting a beautiful Remington 512 (a tube fed bolt action which are now hard to find, though the 511 seems common enough).

This kind of tragedy happened on occasion (Chuck Yeager accidentally killed his baby sister), but it is very uncommon. However, modern indulgent permissive parenting and giving children tools of lethal force don't mix very well.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.