Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 1 2013, 02:13 AM   #976
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to getting to see these arcs.
I like the clip, but I'm not looking forward to them ruining Order 66 and probably a lot of stuff previously established by the EU about Sifo-Dyas.

cooleddie74 wrote:
The story of Sifo-Dyas has needed closure for more than a decade. I was hoping that either Episode III or a Cartoon Network episode of Clone Wars would have delved a little more into his backstory and explained the mysteries surrounding his all-too-convenient death and his connections to the very beginnings of the Clone Army project
We got some of that in Darth Plagueis.
Old May 1 2013, 02:19 AM   #977
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Well I'm glad we finally got more news on this. It seems like at the bare minimum we will get half a season of great material. And since each season has been half great/ half little kid filler, it's like getting a full season!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 03:02 AM   #978
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

Books are one thing, and I knew that. You are indeed correct. On-screen to a much, much larger and wider audience who don't read the books or even know about some of them is different.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:46 PM   #979
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

The Primetime Emmys always ignored the show but The Clone Wars finally got some recognition from the Daytime Emmys.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...rds_151528.asp

Sam Witwer as Maul and Jim Cummings as Hondo were great choices. Tenant too.
DarthPipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:49 PM   #980
Christopher
Writer

Cummings was terrific as Hondo, but my vote goes to Witwer, who's just an amazingly good voice actor.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 12:18 AM   #981
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Witwer's work on Clone Wars was just standout and top notch. Some of the best animated voice work I've seen on either the small or big screen in a long time. Sam deserves any and all nods and awards that he gets for his participation in the series.

Old May 2 2013, 04:18 AM   #982
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Cummings was terrific as Hondo, but my vote goes to Witwer, who's just an amazingly good voice actor.
I agree with that. He took a one-dimensional villain in Maul and actually made a compelling, nuanced character out of him. Witwer always impresses me...he gives 110% in every role he's in.
DarthPipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 03:37 AM   #983
JD
Admiral

Yeah, Witwer's Maul has been great, and definitely deserves the recognition.
I'm glad to hear they'll be addressing the whole Sifo-Dyas thing.
Old May 3 2013, 03:51 AM   #984
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

It's too bad that Filoni and the other Raiders of the Lost Arcs didn't just quietly ride off into the sunset instead of somehow managing to further screw up canon even after the cancellation of the show.
Old May 3 2013, 04:29 AM   #985
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

You guys may have seen these but they're fun:

I love watching him in character as Maul. Clancy Brown is like "This guy is crazy...".
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 04:31 AM   #986
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
It's too bad that Filoni and the other Raiders of the Lost Arcs didn't just quietly ride off into the sunset instead of somehow managing to further screw up canon even after the cancellation of the show.
The EU is tie-in literature only a small minority of fans cared about and as such this was always a possibility, Lucas lied about it being canon just deal with it, you're less likely to break a blood vessel that way.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 01:42 PM   #987
flavaflav
Commander

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
The EU is tie-in literature only a small minority of fans cared about and as such this was always a possibility, Lucas lied about it being canon just deal with it, you're less likely to break a blood vessel that way.
^this. the EU is not canon, never has been. it was always known that it could be overridden at a moments notice by Lucasfilm. As someone who no longer follows the EU, I thank the maker for throwing more of it in the trash. Especially since The Clone Wars is infinitely better than anything the EU has ever produced, and it's not even close.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 02:16 PM   #988
Christopher
Writer

People read far too much into the word "canon." Even canon itself is not exempt from being overwritten or contradicted by later canon. Heck, the Special Editions of the original trilogy should prove that, not to mention the reinterpretations that the prequels introduced. And we've seen canon retconned or ignored in most other long-running franchises. Modern Star Trek has ignored some of the sexist assumptions of the original, or ignored some of the more implausible ideas of bad installments like "The Alternative Factor," ST V, and "Threshold." Marvel Comics constantly rewrites its history to fit a sliding timescale, so that stories that originally happened in the '60s or '70s are now assumed to have happened in the 2000s. Dallas retconned a whole season to be just a dream. And so forth. Canon has never been a guarantee of permanence.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 07:07 PM   #989
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

And even in filmed, televised and theatrically-released stories you often have debates about whether certain stories are even canon to begin with. TAS, for example. We still have debates about the official status of the animated series and the thing ceased production almost 40 years ago. I still know more than a few fans who don't include TAS in the history of Kirk's original five-year mission. Gene Roddenberry went to his grave saying that elements of Star Trek V weren't canonical and he didn't accept them as part of the Trek timeline and backstory to his characters.

So yeah, canon is not only rewritten from time to time but it's also rejected by the very creators of the franchises themselves.

Old May 4 2013, 05:59 AM   #990
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Huh? In what way did Lucas lie about it?

Star Wars isn't Star Trek. It's not a question of only filmed properties being "canon" and everything else being "non-canon". In Star Wars the idea was supposed to be that the literature, etc. was canon, just a lower level of canon, meaning that the films ( or Lucas ) took precedence if there was a conflict. It could always be overwritten, and such overwrites were already old news in the franchise by 1983.

And it's still possible for TCW to screw things up even if the EU is treated as though it doesn't exist. ( Senate Spy, anyone? ) For example, the approach they take with Order 66 could end up effectively ignoring what AOTC told us about the clones. Though all EU is not created equal, some of it is good at logical consistency with the films. In other words, with some creators you can see the investment of effort to such consistency. With others, not so much.