RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,708
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 444
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.28%
A 161 21.55%
A- 101 13.52%
B+ 83 11.11%
B 58 7.76%
B- 27 3.61%
C+ 40 5.35%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.82%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1 2013, 09:18 PM   #841
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Oh really. I suppose that depends on your definition of the word "success."
Everything does. Success is a ridiculously broad term, and the moment someone generalized about it as a way of criticizing the movie they shot way wide.

If you said "one cannot expect to become a medical doctor without going through the required educational process and training," I certainly wouldn't contradict you; that would be dumb.

If, OTOH, you want to claim that "formal education is a prerequisite for success" - well yes, I can define "success" in about a thousand ways that make you wrong, and every one of them is entirely valid.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 09:23 PM   #842
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

Anyone who's awake and paying any attention at all to the world around them knows by experience that a college education isn't necessary to success, so that's a given.
Oh really. I suppose that depends on your definition of the word "success." But, go ahead and define it so that your side of the argument is correct. To begin with, I'd ask you to name 5 (career) jobs that don't require a college education for entry.

But this will likely go beyond the scope of the forum.
Then now would be a great time to go start a thread about it in a forum appropriate to that topic.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Rothschild wrote: View Post
So has anyone seen the pictures of the new Klingons?
Yep. They look pretty good, at least in low-rez.
Ridges?
Ruffles.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 09:33 PM   #843
drumvan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

another positive review.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...st-review.html
drumvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 09:41 PM   #844
drumvan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

and yet another.

http://www.cqnews.com.au/news/first-...kness/1850881/
drumvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 09:58 PM   #845
Flake
Commodore

Yes they are all excellent reviews

I did spot one critic on twitter comparing it to Iron Man 2. It was the Daily Telegraphs critic, so there is a negative review incoming.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 10:08 PM   #846
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Gates, Jobs, Zuckerberg, Turner, Lauren, Ellison, Geffen...

Yeah, yeah, all famous exceptions. Well, the most successful woman I know personally has a GED.
Ironically, none of those guy's companies take applications from folks without certified education, even though the company founders didn't have one either.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:01 PM   #847
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Comparing successful business entrepreneurs starting on their own to an employee working one's self up the ranks of an established organization doesn't really make sense anyways.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:06 PM   #848
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

The fact that Abrams gave him a walk-on in one needn't sway his opinion unless one views such things as quid pro quo.
You already challenged that point, and I responded.

My main point of my post was that only a decade ago, fans were being asked to be open-minded about his fanfilms. Sure, he's allowed to hate JJ's films. Deliberately spoilerizing fans about the new film via his Facebook page is disappointing.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:15 PM   #849
ConRefit79
Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
My main point of my post was that only a decade ago, fans were being asked to be open-minded about his fanfilms. Sure, he's allowed to hate JJ's films. Deliberately spoilerizing fans about the new film via his Facebook page is disappointing.
I never read his post. Did he deliberately spoil it? Or was it mis-direction like the actors saying it's Mitchell or some other character in previous interviews?
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:21 PM   #850
Opus
Commodore

Sounds like he had a tantrum...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:24 PM   #851
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Reviews are better than I expected. A very good sign that..

Edit: Continuing to read: Wow, these are REALLY good, one calls it JJAbrams BEST FILM YET. One states: "Star Trek Into Darkness may well set the benchmark for rollercoaster sci-fi that will indeed challenge your view of how space adventures can and should be delivered."

One calls the movie: "modest" LOL the $185 million blockbuster that's on a bigger scale than the ST09 movie..

Last edited by RAMA; May 1 2013 at 11:46 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:28 PM   #852
ConRefit79
Captain

Opus wrote: View Post
Sounds like he had a tantrum...
Too bad. Guess he let his passion get the better of him.
Wish they would release another movie.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:33 PM   #853
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The Denofgeek one has a good summary:

Appreciating that Iron Man 3 kicked summer blockbuster season 2013 off by subverting the comic book movie genre and, in places, turning it on its head, what Star Trek Into Darkness has done is no less impressive. It's played its hand a lot straighter, with a three act story bustling with characters it's fun to spent time with, unified by a director who not only knows how to shoot an action sequence, but who also continues to prove he's a damn good storyteller. The end result? An exciting, entertaining and pretty excellent blockbuster. Let the clamour for another movie start right here...
Old May 2 2013, 12:09 AM   #854
RAMA
Vice Admiral

*klingons klingons klingons* Spoilers spoilers spoilers*

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Th_Mhdz1Hr...er+Klingon.jpg
Old May 2 2013, 02:16 AM   #855
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Been reading the reviews and digging for spoilers (which is getting easier and easier). Just visually the movie's going to kick ass. I am concerned they've crammed to much into one movie. Seems like it could make 2 movies easily.

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Like I said, there are very few exceptions to the rule.
You're wrong; college is not a "rule" - it's an increasingly dysfunctional educational/career/training path.

BTW, you know they're making these movies about people who are exceptions don't you? The idea that it's someone's job to send kids the message "work hard, stay in school and you can be Captain Kirk" is absurd.
I know people in HR that consider a college degree to be the new high school diploma. Every six months they get flooded with a batch of the new grads or soon to be grads with fresh degrees in whatever "guaranteed money making career" they got talked into majoring in when they sent out their college applications back in highschool. Best advice I ever got regarding college: 1) Unless it's your passion, just audit classes and pick up certifications, screw the degree. 2) Practice saying "Would you like to upsize to a large combo?" cause that's about what your degree will be worth when you get out.

Last edited by SeerSGB; May 2 2013 at 03:07 AM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote