CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 1 2013, 07:03 PM   #376
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I just happen to think it would be possible for a creative person to write a good story that includes a classic Doctor, and doesn't alienate newer fans.
Sure, I believe one Steven Moffat wrote something called "Time Crash".
Old May 1 2013, 07:49 PM   #377
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I just happen to think it would be possible for a creative person to write a good story that includes a classic Doctor, and doesn't alienate newer fans.
Let's also consider a group that would also have to be appeased: the classic Doctors themselves. So, it's not just writing a story for them to appear, it's also writing a story that they WANT to appear in.

Colin Baker has said that he wouldn't be interested in a cameo.

And didn't the 40th, or 45th, whatever the Dark Dimension fall apart because it was basically the Tom Baker show and the other Doctors didn't want to do it?

So, now you have to craft a story that at least 7 actors have to approve of before they'll agree to be in it?

Sure, it can be done, but that might take time. And Moffat does have time management issues.

In the end, it's not JUST an issue of imagination.
Old May 1 2013, 07:52 PM   #378
StCoop
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
I agree that would be the most ideal, but to me it's not "disrespecting the past" if they aren't in there.
I'm never going to able to see an appearance by Tom Baker's scarf as somehow an adequate replacement for an appearance by Tom Baker, however they try and spin it.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 07:55 PM   #379
StCoop
Commodore

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Sure, it can be done, but that might take time. And Moffat does have time management issues.
I agree. I mean who knew the 50th Anniversary was even coming up this year? How could they be expected to plan for it in advance? And with all those extra episodes of the series that they've been pumping out over the past two years, where would they have found the time anyway?

:sarcasm:
Old May 1 2013, 08:19 PM   #380
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Let's also consider a group that would also have to be appeased: the classic Doctors themselves. So, it's not just writing a story for them to appear, it's also writing a story that they WANT to appear in.

And didn't the 40th, or 45th, whatever the Dark Dimension fall apart because it was basically the Tom Baker show and the other Doctors didn't want to do it?

So, now you have to craft a story that at least 7 actors have to approve of before they'll agree to be in it?

That's the redding herring I was talking about. Please pay attention! Hint, it doesn't have to include all of the classic Doctors.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 08:27 PM   #381
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Whistleblower has posted what he claims is the Anniversary Special plot.

I could buy that.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 08:45 PM   #382
StCoop
Commodore

Well now I know who "Whistleblower" is. He's a dillusional poster on GB that goes by the name of R.E.D, who's been trying to push his frankly ridiculous theories about what's "really" happening in the series (including The Doctor being dead since The Big Bang) on people at every possible opportunity.
Old May 1 2013, 08:49 PM   #383
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

StCoop wrote: View Post
Well now I know who "Whistleblower" is. He's a dillusional poster on GB that goes by the name of R.E.D, who's been trying to push his frankly ridiculous theories about what's "really" happening in the series (including The Doctor being dead since The Big Bang) on people at every possible opportunity.
Cool. I thought that held together narratively better than Moffat's usual work.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 08:57 PM   #384
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I agree. I mean who knew the 50th Anniversary was even coming up this year? How could they be expected to plan for it in advance? And with all those extra episodes of the series that they've been pumping out over the past two years, where would they have found the time anyway?

:sarcasm:
YEAH, cause it's not like he's got other things that need to get done first, or knew exactly who would be availible to be in the special.

:sarcasm right back at ya:

That's the redding herring I was talking about. Please pay attention! Hint, it doesn't have to include all of the classic Doctors.

Mr Awe
Right. NOR does it HAVE to include ANY of the classic Doctors.

And besides, if you chose only one, you would have the fanboys raging that Moffat didn't pick THEIR Doctor. "How DARE you not include Tom Baker! DUDE, you just insulted McGann fans!!"

I'm beginning to think there is NO way for Moffat to get it right with fans.
Old May 1 2013, 09:13 PM   #385
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

I'm beginning to think there is NO way for Moffat to get it right with fans.
Beginning to think?!?!?

The impossibility of that is as plain as the chin on Matt Smith's face.
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 09:14 PM   #386
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah the second I saw Omega mentioned in there I knew it was a fake. Fans have been talking about his supposed return for years (along with the Rani and Valeyard), even though it is something that Moffat clearly has no interest in.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 09:30 PM   #387
StCoop
Commodore

YEAH, cause it's not like he's got other things that need to get done first, or knew exactly who would be availible to be in the special.
Like what? Making one series in two years?

And if only they had some sort of Casting Director who could ring up people's Agents to find out if they'd be interested in appearing.

I'm really looking forward to seven months of Moffat fans telling us that David Tennant, Billie Piper and Tom Baker's scarf are all you need to represent 50 years of history.
Old May 1 2013, 09:38 PM   #388
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Like what?

Sherlock? TinTin?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 09:42 PM   #389
StCoop
Commodore

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Sherlock? TinTin?
He dropped out of 'Tin-Tin' before he started Producing Doctor Who. 'Sherlock' is three episodes every 18 months co-produced with Mark Gatiss.

The idea that with only half as many episodes of the TV series to make there simply wouldn't have been enough time to develop a good story with appearances by Original Series Doctors is just nuts.
Old May 1 2013, 09:48 PM   #390
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Like what? Making one series in two years?

And if only they had some sort of Casting Director who could ring up people's Agents to find out if they'd be interested in appearing.
ring, ring.

Casting Director: Hi, I'm just calling to see if your client would like to appear in the 50th?

Agent: Sure, maybe, can he see the script?

Casting Director: Nope. There isn't one yet.

Agent: What about the story? What's the story? Will my client have a big part?

Casting Director: No story yet. Just seeing who is around and interested.

Agent: Um. Ok. Sure. Why don't you get back to us when there's like... a script or a story?

Casting Director: Will do.

I'm really looking forward to seven months of Moffat fans telling us that David Tennant, Billie Piper and Tom Baker's scarf are all you need to represent 50 years of history.
I'm so glad that your knowledge of TV production isn't getting in the way of your nerd rage.