RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,390
Posts: 5,505,268
Members: 25,129
Currently online: 524
Newest member: oorang

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 1 2013, 05:35 PM   #361
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

I really cant think of a good reason why you WOULD NOT have Mcgann at least. He is a virtually unknown Doctor and it would be actually something new and fresh in the special yet have a tie to the past.
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo & many more - Coming early 2015 - www.startrekrenegades.com

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 05:35 PM   #362
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

As far as I'm concerned, since The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors and Dimensions in Time were all quite mediocre, it leads me to think that these multi-Doctor stories are not easy to write and I'm not eager to see more of them.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 05:42 PM   #363
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

StCoop wrote: View Post
Let's hear some then.

Paintings?

A scarf on a random character?

That's really an equivalent to, you know, seeing the people?
Well I'm not a writer and don't even have half the imagination that Moffat does. But I imagine you could still visit classic planets, visit earlier Console Rooms, have classic villains (like the Zygons), follow up a classic story, bring back the Time Lords again, visit Gallifrey before the Doctor left, use footage from classic episodes somehow, have Tennant and Smith relive classic adventures.....
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 05:47 PM   #364
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Tom wrote: View Post
I really cant think of a good reason why you WOULD NOT have Mcgann at least. He is a virtually unknown Doctor and it would be actually something new and fresh in the special yet have a tie to the past.
Sadly, the fact he's so unknown is probably why they wouldn't include him. For kids and the general audience, there wouldn't be that immediate recognition that you'd have with some of the others Doctors. Even after you explained who he was, they'd just be like "oh, ok. Well that's nice I guess..."
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 05:51 PM   #365
Konata Izumi
Commander
 
Konata Izumi's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
use footage from classic episodes somehow
There is still a possibility they trial-and-tribbelate all the past Doctors into a sequence. It could be good.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:03 PM   #366
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
use footage from classic episodes somehow
There is still a possibility they trial-and-tribbelate all the past Doctors into a sequence. It could be good.
I'm sorry, but everytime someone suggests "Trials and Tribbleations" is feasible for Doctor Who I have to laugh. The technical differences between today's HD filming and the video tape of the 1970s and 1980s are unbridgeable.

Quite simply, it's not going to happen.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:08 PM   #367
Mad Jack Wolfe
Lieutenant Commander
 
Mad Jack Wolfe's Avatar
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Tom wrote: View Post
I really cant think of a good reason why you WOULD NOT have Mcgann at least. He is a virtually unknown Doctor and it would be actually something new and fresh in the special yet have a tie to the past.
I'd love to see something with McGann. Yank him out of the Time War midstream, for instance. Give us a look at the the Doctor as he wrestles with the decision to use The Moment and burn everything. Something meaty like that could be fascinating.

Or maybe, that's where he gets the idea to use it. From one of his later incarnations...
__________________
Life is full of disappointments. For instance, I really hoped "Chariots of Fire" would be a remake of "Ben Hur" with flame throwers.
Mad Jack Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:13 PM   #368
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, but everytime someone suggests "Trials and Tribbleations" is feasible for Doctor Who I have to laugh. The technical differences between today's HD filming and the video tape of the 1970s and 1980s are unbridgeable.

Quite simply, it's not going to happen.
I dont know. I could see them filming a brief sequence in the old video style with Tennant and Smith (like when they inserted Smith into that black and white Laurel and Hardy film).

And Smith did hint in an interview that parts of the special would be done in a different kind of format than usual, so who knows.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:25 PM   #369
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
As far as I'm concerned, since The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors and Dimensions in Time were all quite mediocre, it leads me to think that these multi-Doctor stories are not easy to write and I'm not eager to see more of them.
Yep, you've got such a large sample there that you've proven beyond a doubt that a good multi-Doctor story is impossible to write.

It seems like you give up pretty easily.

Actually, I quite enjoyed The Five Doctors.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:27 PM   #370
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
StCoop wrote: View Post
Let's hear some then.

Paintings?

A scarf on a random character?

That's really an equivalent to, you know, seeing the people?
Well I'm not a writer and don't even have half the imagination that Moffat does. But I imagine you could still visit classic planets, visit earlier Console Rooms, have classic villains (like the Zygons), follow up a classic story, bring back the Time Lords again, visit Gallifrey before the Doctor left, use footage from classic episodes somehow, have Tennant and Smith relive classic adventures.....
Those would be nice. But, again, the most honest way to celebrate the contributions of the original actors is to include them in the special. Including objects and references just isn't showing the same appreciation.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:29 PM   #371
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Just DON'T do what Fringe did any have them go into a cartoon world because they could not get the actor LOL
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo & many more - Coming early 2015 - www.startrekrenegades.com

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:31 PM   #372
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
use footage from classic episodes somehow
There is still a possibility they trial-and-tribbelate all the past Doctors into a sequence. It could be good.
I'm sorry, but everytime someone suggests "Trials and Tribbleations" is feasible for Doctor Who I have to laugh. The technical differences between today's HD filming and the video tape of the 1970s and 1980s are unbridgeable.

Quite simply, it's not going to happen.
Oh, I don't know, with a little bit of creativity, they could think of something. Time distortion or interference could degrade a time echo. It wouldn't be like T&T where Sisko was in the past adventure, but a bit of the past adventure could be visible during the current adventure.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:37 PM   #373
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
As far as I'm concerned, since The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors and Dimensions in Time were all quite mediocre, it leads me to think that these multi-Doctor stories are not easy to write and I'm not eager to see more of them.
Yep, you've got such a large sample there that you've proven beyond a doubt that a good multi-Doctor story is impossible to write.

It seems like you give up pretty easily.
Snark snark snark. I wasn't trying to prove anything: I was just stating my opinion, which wasn't, I should reiterate, that it was "impossible", but merely "not easy" to write. In addition, I'd add that I haven't given up, I'm just "not eager".

Really, it's all there in my post.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 06:59 PM   #374
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

^ Well, it gave me a good laugh at least!

Well, we're all entitled to our preferences and opinions. I just happen to think it would be possible for a creative person to write a good story that includes a classic Doctor, and doesn't alienate newer fans.
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 07:00 PM   #375
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Those would be nice. But, again, the most honest way to celebrate the contributions of the original actors is to include them in the special. Including objects and references just isn't showing the same appreciation.

Mr Awe
I agree that would be the most ideal, but to me it's not "disrespecting the past" if they aren't in there.

Of course for me just seeing images of the previous Doctors in Next Doctor was thrilling as hell, so I'm probably a bit more easy to please in that way (if all we got was just, say, a classic console room, I'd think the special would be worth it).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.