Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 1 2013, 04:50 PM   #646
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

What about the Best Buy exclusive? Anybody seen the CG-Enterprise test footage yet?
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 04:59 PM   #647
M
Vice Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post
What about the David Rappaport/Kivas Fajo footage. How is it? How was he? !!!!!
Personally, I think he did fine. Rappaport's a much more menacing Fajo than Rubinek. Having seen it now, however, I would have to say I prefer Saul Rubinek, as all his little quirks and gestures make the character his own.

I'm really glad they included the footage, though. It would be nice if it was integrated better in the rest of the footage (especially sound-wise), and I wonder if that was really all the footage there is of Rappaport, but it's really nice to have anyhow.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 05:12 PM   #648
davejames
Vice Admiral

I've only watched "Evolution" so far, and WOW did it look good. The colors are vibrant as hell and the bolder lighting style really pops off the screen (especially compared to how flat and lifeless everything looked in the second season).

The new, light gray carpeting on the bridge really jumped out at me as well. I never realized it was that bright before.

Unfortunately the episode itself is still a bit of a snoozer. Once you get past the amazing effects, it's basically another "stuff goes haywire on the Enterprise" story (which is a plot device they used way too often on this show), together with another tedious "Wesley learns a valuable lesson" story.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 05:14 PM   #649
trekker670
Captain

I noticed that hideous shot of from Ensigns of Command as well, my first thought was "why is the Enterprise powered down?"

Regarding the on-screen text, without pausing it to read it, I too saw a few jokes, notably something referencing "find and replace." I think I actually prefer when the leave the onscreen text as-is rather than replacing it with something more accurate to the scene, but admittedly the replaced text will likely hold up longer.

I also noticed that the dedication plaque is slightly different than the one we normally see. It only contained a single column of text at the bottom, rather than the numerous columns listing the names of the crew members from the show.

It also painfully obvious that some of the lines were redubbed when the show was first produced.
trekker670 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 05:23 PM   #650
Flake
Commodore

Aatrek wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Did anyone see the new CGI in Booby Trap yet? I don't mean the welders in the background..
The new explosion is nice, if that's what you mean...
No, it's a new cgi shot of the enterprise
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 05:34 PM   #651
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

DJ Mike wrote: View Post
Anyone care to post what that Ensigns Of Command shot looks like in HD?
About what you'd expect. It's still the same shot, but with slightly better lighting. It still looks like a toy though. It is possible to make the 2-foot model look good. Here's one from Encounter at Farpoint:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_081.jpg

The difference being that it was ILM that made that original shot, and with higher quality film. I don't think Image G put much effort into the Ensigns of Command shot. Odd though that CBS-D didn't add any window lighting. It looks pretty dark aside from the deflector.

It would have been a good opportunity to swap out that shot with the improved CGI model, but I respect their decision to stick with the original shot.

The bright side of having the 4-foot model is that we never see new shots of the 2-footer again.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 05:38 PM   #652
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I got through the first disc and listened to Moore's commentary for The Bonding. It was really good. Lots of good anecdotes and history about Moore's intro into Trek. The Okudas are really good moderators, making sure the good stories are told. I look forward to his other commentaries. Fingers crossed that he really does comment on every episode he wrote.

Moore's contribution to Star Trek VI? Wow, how awesome for him. (I won't spoil it)
Old May 1 2013, 07:08 PM   #653
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Evolution and The Ensigns of Command are much, much slower than I remembered.
Old May 1 2013, 07:18 PM   #654
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

One thing I noticed when re-watching BoBW is that a lot of the reaction shots really seem to linger longer than necessary, at least by today's standards. It would be interesting to see how the episodes would look if some quicker cuts were made.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 07:27 PM   #655
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Evolution and The Ensigns of Command are much, much slower than I remembered.
Try staying awake during the Troi/Ral parts of "The Price". Talk about a snoozer.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 08:21 PM   #656
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester

I got an e-mail from Amazon today saying they were refunding $18 of the $77.99 I paid for the season 3 box set because of the price going down between the date they shipped my order and the release date. Nice.
Old May 1 2013, 08:27 PM   #657
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

That's the Amazon Pre-order Guarantee. If they didn't do that, then make a huge stink.

It only applies if the price drops before it ships. Once I bought something and the price dropped after it shipped but before I received it. I contacted Amazon, and they said the price guarantee doesn't apply if it ships before the price drop, however they gave me the credit as a courtesy.

Otherwise I would have returned the first item, and then re-bought it at the lower price, but they saved me that extra hassle.
Old May 1 2013, 08:31 PM   #658
Grant
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
That's the Amazon Pre-order Guarantee. If they didn't do that, then make a huge stink.

It only applies if the price drops before it ships. Once I bought something and the price dropped after it shipped but before I received it. I contacted Amazon, and they said the price guarantee doesn't apply if it ships before the price drop, however they gave me the credit as a courtesy.

Otherwise I would have returned the first item, and then re-bought it at the lower price, but they saved me that extra hassle.
I'm pretty sure they have upgraded that to when you recieve your order!

I just double-checked---Up to the END of the day of the release day of the item they will give you the lowest price.

So if they ship something on saturday/sunday when it's, say $20 and the item drops on Tuesday evening to $15 they refund you $5. Otherwise complain--they won't argue that policy.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 08:47 PM   #659
cbspock
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I've only watched "Evolution" so far, and WOW did it look good. The colors are vibrant as hell and the bolder lighting style really pops off the screen (especially compared to how flat and lifeless everything looked in the second season).

The new, light gray carpeting on the bridge really jumped out at me as well. I never realized it was that bright before.

Unfortunately the episode itself is still a bit of a snoozer. Once you get past the amazing effects, it's basically another "stuff goes haywire on the Enterprise" story (which is a plot device they used way too often on this show), together with another tedious "Wesley learns a valuable lesson" story.

I just watched the episode as well. Yeah the bridge carpet really stands out, it didn't look that bright on dvd. The space shots of Enterprise look outstanding.

-Chris
Old May 1 2013, 08:49 PM   #660
cbspock
Rear Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post

You don't have to make a huge stink, I contacted them via chat, and they took care of the problem with no issues.

-Chris