TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 30 2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Agent Lucsly
Cadet

The trailer/preview semi-spoiler effect

So I've watched every single trailer and the ten-minute preview and saved a copy of every picture I could find of STID.

Living in Austin, TX means that it hasn't yet premiered here (though the strategy they're using to promote the film - premiering it in Sydney, Moscow, Berlin, and London before here - is something fascinating unto itself). But, I find myself craving to put all the "puzzle pieces" of what I've seen together. First time I've ever had the possibility of doing that before a film came out.

So my discussion-suggestion is: have they released too many trailers/promos/information about the film? Which do you prefer, to be completely spoiler-free or to have just enough to whet your appetite for the film?
Agent Lucsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: The trailer/preview semi-spoiler effect

Their job isn't to cater to what we prefer, but to generate as much public interest in the movie as possible - so, the more trailers/promos/posters/interviews etc. the better.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 08:52 PM   #3
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

As far as I'm concerned, this has been a big problem in the industry for years. Take something like Iron Man 3. Between the various trailers, the articles, the extended film clips that show snippets from almost every single major scene, and supplemental material (like movie magazines or toys that come out before the movie's been released), there's really not much left to spoil. I find these things impossible to resist and as a result I walk into the theatre feeling like I've already seen all the good parts. If you're someone who likes to go in clean, that increasingly takes a real, proactive effort to avoid all the stuff they're throwing in front of you.

These new Star Treks have actually been better compared to most of the major high-interest blockbusters, but that's not saying much.
greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 08:58 PM   #4
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

So, we've once again reached the point where we start complaining Abrams isn't secretive enough?

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 09:13 PM   #5
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Wasn't it just yesterday people were complaining about Abrams being too secretive and claiming it was hurting the film?

I know I'll see the film, and I know I don't want to be spoiled. To that end I don't read the pertinent threads here and avoid what exposure I can.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 10:45 PM   #6
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Just based on the previews and teasers, etc I am psyched to see this film. I can't wait. I haven't been this pumped to see a Trek film since Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek The Wrath of Khan.

-Chris
Old April 30 2013, 10:49 PM   #7
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

You guys realize that it's only too much information for someone who seeks all that information, right? The regular Joe who gets to see one or two trailers or TV spots doesn't get any big spoilers, nor does he put all the puzzle pieces together.

If you don't want to get spoiled, don't look for spoilers. It's that simple.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 11:52 PM   #8
Flake
Commodore

I read some of the spoilers.. just the main ones.

I am not watching any more clips or trailers or ads since last week. They do put way too much out there to those people who make a point of collecting and watching every trailer/advert & clip but like someone else has pointed out the average joe will see a fraction of all the marketing material.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 12:42 AM   #9
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

JarodRussell, I'm not sure I agree. Sure, quite a lot of people will only see a couple trailers or the odd featurette, and some people will actively seek out everything that's available, but I bet there's an increasingly large number of people that are moderately interested, and online enough, that they will have to actively avoid trailers and articles and threads in order to not have the film spoiled. That's an interesting position to be in, both as a viewer with an interest in the movie, and as a promoter, in charge of generating as much buzz as possible.

I'm not really coming down on one side or the other, I just think it's interesting that these two dynamics, which should be in synch, are increasingly at odds with each other.
greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 04:01 AM   #10
WarpFactorZ
Captain

I think it's more fun to have teasers, and to anticipate how everything will fit into the movie. I spoiled myself a bit on the big issues, but the specifics of the movie are still unknown. I'm still ultra-psyched to see it.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 04:51 PM   #11
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I'm still trying to figure out how the Klingons come into play, even though they were in the countdown to darkness comic. Is Harrison trying to start a war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire? It also seems Kirk's orders are to not apprehend Harrison but to kill him. The movie from the trailer seems to be a jumble of Star Trek The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, and DS9- Homefront / Paradise Lost.

-Chris