Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 25 2013, 03:43 PM   #331
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

StCoop wrote: View Post
the person who leaked the Doctor Hurt news
Oh, fuck that guy. Definitely not true then. Same guy that said Harriet Jones was in the red Dalek, Paul McGann and an elephant would turn up and all sorts of infamously wrong spoilers.

Bizarrely, people still seem to believe him each time.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:52 PM   #332
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Oh, fuck that guy. Definitely not true then. Same guy that said Harriet Jones was in the red Dalek, Paul McGann and an elephant would turn up and all sorts of infamously wrong spoilers.

Oh good grief. How is he still around on GB or, at least, anywhere semi-reputable? *tosses THAT rumor into the garbage can*
Old April 25 2013, 03:54 PM   #333
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

DalekJim wrote: View Post

If the photo were a shot at The Doctor's Trainers, though, that would suggest that he hit a nerve in the production staff by revealing that. Again, assuming that the photo was a message to/shot across the bow at TDT, then Ed Russell committed a cardinal PR error. You either get in front of a story or you ignore it. The one thing you never, ever do is acknowledge it.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:57 PM   #334
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I seriously doubt they were a shot at The Doctors Trainers. A man that understands the storytelling formula in Doctor Who even less than he understands the useage of apostrophes.

Seriously, the guy's every post is an assault on the eyes.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 02:36 AM   #335
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

They would sack a stunt-double for posting a picture that reveals precisely nothing? Seriously? That's pretty lame. I'm sure the small print of the confidentiality agreement lets them, but that's messed up.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 03:22 AM   #336
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
They would sack a stunt-double for posting a picture that reveals precisely nothing? Seriously? That's pretty lame. I'm sure the small print of the confidentiality agreement lets them, but that's messed up.

She might have gotten a verbal warning but there's no confirmation she was fired.

Let's not make a mountain out of an ant hill
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 01:31 AM   #337
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Chris Evans has been talking to Tennant and the Special has been described as the "Band Aid" of Doctor Who, featuring appearances of people from throughout its 50 year history, so make of that what you will.
In an interview on the Jonathan Ross Show, Matt Smith said “The thing is with Who, you will understand it more when you have seen it, but ‘paintings’ – that is all I am saying.”, suggesting that paintings of some kind will feature prominently. As soon as I read what he said I guessed that said paintings may feature previous incarnations of the Doctor. So perhaps the "appearances" mentioned in the Evans interview will be in painting form.
They'll probably just put all their pictures in the "cosmic portraits" in the title sequence.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 02:22 PM   #338
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 02:27 PM   #339
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Atticus wrote: View Post
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 02:35 PM   #340
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Actually, 7th if DWM is correct!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 03:18 PM   #341
StCoop
Commodore

So apparently Moffat's quote about not making the episode a "fanfest" and "looking to the Future" is the official line for making it an 8th Anniversary Special.

If I was Baker I to McGann I'd refuse to take part in any of the 50th Anniversary celebrations that they might be asked to. Moffat casting a brand-new Past Doctor while giving them the Finger really sums the man up perfectly.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 03:24 PM   #342
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

So apparently Moffat's quote about not making the episode a "fanfest" and "looking to the Future" is the official line for making it an 8th Anniversary Special.
I keep seeing comments like this and it is silly. Just because there aren't any returning Doctors from the classic series doesn't mean that the special won't celebrate all of the show's history. There are more ways to celebrate than having returning Doctors, or does fandom lack that kind of imagination?
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 03:33 PM   #343
StCoop
Commodore

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
There are more ways to celebrate than having returning Doctors, or does fandom lack that kind of imagination?
It's nothing to do with "lack of imagination". It's to do with Respect, something Moffat seems to lack towards the people without whom he wouldn't have a series to be running into the ground through his incompetence.

This is the last chance to bring any/all of the Original Series Doctors together to celebrate their contribution. Having paintings of them appear, which seems to be what's going to happen or sticking Tom Baker's scarf on a Guest Star is worse than simply pretending the series didn't exist before 2005.
Old May 1 2013, 03:47 PM   #344
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

There are more ways to celebrate than having returning Doctors, or does fandom lack that kind of imagination?
It's nothing to do with "lack of imagination". It's to do with Respect, something Moffat seems to lack towards the people without whom he wouldn't have a series to be running into the ground through his incompetence.

This is the last chance to bring any/all of the Original Series Doctors together to celebrate their contribution. Having paintings of them appear, which seems to be what's going to happen or sticking Tom Baker's scarf on a Guest Star is worse than simply pretending the series didn't exist before 2005.
Sorry, I don't buy that. Just because the story they are choosing to tell doesn't involve the old actors doesn't mean there is any lack of respect for the old series. It just means the story they wish to tell for the anniversary doesn't require them. And you would really prefer they ignore the classic series rather than have other references to it other than the one you prefer? That is childish.

Isn't it the quality of the story that is important, not some fan check-list of things that certify that the show is showing the proper amount of respect for the old series? Once again I say, maybe we should wait to see the show before declaring what a disrespectful mess it is? Of course, I'm sure some of those here who have already made up their minds to hate it will hate it no matter what happens.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 03:54 PM   #345
StCoop
Commodore

Isn't it the quality of the story that is important, not some fan check-list of things that certify that the show is showing the proper amount of respect for the old series?
I don't see having a quality story and bringing the Past Doctors back in some fashion, however briefly, as being mutually exclusive.

Sadly that seems to be a concept that the man getting paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to ruin, sorry run the Series can't seem to grasp.