RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,409
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 502
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 30 2013, 06:55 PM   #91
Lord Garth
Captain

Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

The best exchange of the show: "Don't do anything crazy!" "Too late for that, I'm going to Harlem in a tuxedo!"
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 07:06 PM   #92
Warped9
Admiral

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
The best exchange of the show: "Don't do anything crazy!" "Too late for that, I'm going to Harlem in a tuxedo!"
Old April 30 2013, 08:24 PM   #93
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I hate to say it, but I didn't buy all the(white) characters being that upset about Dr. King's death. Some of them, yes.
I said this exact thing to a friend at work yesterday. She was aghast. Hard to believe Roger wouldn't have had something snarkey to say. But I do understand that Weiner was showing us the perspective of the people who loved MLK or at least thought he was doing something important. It would not have suited the narrative to focus on Roger being "Roger" here.
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I, too, agree that not all white people would have been so broken up about the death of MLK. There would have been quite a few like Harry for whom it was just another well known person who died and life moves on. This happens every time someone famous dies---some are really affected and others just shrug and wonder what the fuss is about.
No, in America, in the 60's, MLK was a polarizing figure. People either grenuinely loved him or hated him. When he was killed, some wept, some rejoiced, hardly any shrugged.
the G-man wrote: View Post
And again as I mentioned earlier in another thread as much of a creep as Pete is, for some reason he's the most progressive white character on the show when it comes to civil rights issues.
This is one of the reasons I love this show so much. Pete is a character I would love to punch in the face every time I see his face and he irritates the other characeters in similar fashion. But, just like real life, there is more to the character than meets the eye.
By 1960s standards and putting aside his cheating ways And the divorce, Don is actually a pretty decent father to his son. The drinking isn't cool but taking an upset kid to the movies really isn't that bad of a thing. I thought his speech about fatherhood was one of the most genuine things we've ever seen come out of Don Draper.
The most honest Don has ever been on the show. His relationship with Bobby is not what it should be and that is Don's fault, but it does appear it may improve. May be too late for Sally and we'll see about Gene.

MEgan's reaction to Don's little speech was interesting too. He is such a fool. This woman knows more of his crap in just a year than crazy ass Betty knows to this day and she is still devoted to the guy. Megan is so smart and so GGG that I expect that when she finds out about Don's cheating, that will be it for their marriage.
And when his son is more worried about Henry then Don was a real punched in the gut
Killer.

This was a great episode.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 02:52 AM   #94
Snaploud
Admiral

It's interesting that Don got such a harsh reaction for taking his son to the movies. It's probably one of the character's few redeeming moments, and he got a 'you're a horrible person' speech.

gblews wrote: View Post
Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I hate to say it, but I didn't buy all the(white) characters being that upset about Dr. King's death. Some of them, yes.
I said this exact thing to a friend at work yesterday. She was aghast. Hard to believe Roger wouldn't have had something snarkey to say. But I do understand that Weiner was showing us the perspective of the people who loved MLK or at least thought he was doing something important. It would not have suited the narrative to focus on Roger being "Roger" here.
I agree that the reactions seemed a bit odd. Though, I did enjoy the back and forth between Pete and Harry.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:33 AM   #95
the G-man
Commodore

Snaploud wrote: View Post
It's interesting that Don got such a harsh reaction for taking his son to the movies. It's probably one of the character's few redeeming moments, and he got a 'you're a horrible person' speech.
I took Megan's reaction to be less about him taking his son to the movies and more about her perception that Don was hiding from his feelings/his other kids in that bottle of Canadian Club. She explicitly complained about his drinking all day in fact.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 01:43 AM   #96
Anduril
Captain

Snaploud wrote: View Post
I took Megan's reaction to be less about him taking his son to the movies and more about her perception that Don was hiding from his feelings/his other kids in that bottle of Canadian Club. She explicitly complained about his drinking all day in fact.
I always wondered what that bottle said. Now I'm gonna have to try some of that.
Old May 4 2013, 04:21 AM   #97
the G-man
Commodore

It's...okay. It's the whiskey that pretty much everyone's parents drank in the 60s and 70s as I recall (assuming they drank whiskey). It is, in fact, probably the exact kind of stuff Don would have drank.
Old May 6 2013, 06:04 AM   #98
billcosby
Commodore

You gotta feel for Peggy. She finally took the leap away from Don and what did it get her? Now she's got two crazy bosses. And just when she thinks she's up for a snuggly session with Ted, in comes Don to fuck with her head again.

It was hard to see Joan turn on Don but we knew it was coming from his recklessness, eliminating what she did for the company. Pete, as always, made all the wrong decisions. What's the new firm to be called? Chaough Draper Sterling Cooper Campbell Harris? CDSCCH for short.

Lots of turning points tonight. And some outstanding hair.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:11 AM   #99
Warped9
Admiral

I've always thought Trudy was a dish. And Pete deserves whatever he's got coming although he let his father-in-law get the better of him. He could just as easily threatened him with mutual destruction so to speak.

Don has got to learn there are more nuanced ways to deal with a client.
Old May 6 2013, 01:03 PM   #100
the G-man
Commodore

Draper has a self destructive streak a mile wide.
Old May 6 2013, 03:29 PM   #101
billcosby
Commodore

Draper has a self destructive streak a mile wide.
It serves him well as he only enjoys the beginning of things. It's incredible how badly he screwed them up going public. "You don't care, you're ALREADY RICH!!" - Peter, being rich.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 04:30 PM   #102
J.T.B.
Commodore

It seemed odd that two big decisions were apparently made without all the partners consulting: Bert, Pete and Joan cooking up the public offering, and Don and Roger putting together the merger.

Don always hated the Jaguar guy, and rightly so, he was an ass. But what Joan said was right, what she did was her own business. OTOH, if word got around that SCDP's work was being "made over" by someone outside the firm, it would not be good for their reputation and making it into the big leagues.

The Chevy Vega... what a piece of crap that turned out to be. But it was supposed to be the "next big thing," GM's answer to the compact imports, very interesting from the marketing side.

I loved the whole "Northwest Orient" lounge and the hostess' uniform. Was the wig part of the hat, or what?
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 04:37 PM   #103
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

That little stewardess (who looked like a high school student in bed with Roger) looked exactly like Joan. Put red hair on her and she could be Joan's daughter.

So....Don wins again even though he's such an overbearing ass. Blech. Poor Peggy. You could tell she wanted to vomit. If old Teddy wants some nookie now he sure won't get it after bringing Don in. And how many people would lose their jobs in a merger? I just don't understand how that could be done on the fly like that.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 05:14 PM   #104
the G-man
Commodore

The Chevy Vega... what a piece of crap that turned out to be...
My mother got one in 1974, brand new. I think it started rusting about six months after she got it.
Old May 6 2013, 05:57 PM   #105
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Yeah, rust was a huge problem with it. I was little back then, but I do remember hearing about that car. Maybe that's the end goal--the bottom dropping out of the new company because of its reliance on the Chevy account. Maybe that's what finally pitches Don out a window a la the opening credits....if that comes to pass.

Man, Pete should have told his hypocrite father-in-law that he was having a potental client entertained. Plausible deniability. Daddy dearest can cheat all he wants, but no one cheats on his princess. Ugh. Pete will be thrilled that Peggy's back, but Peggy....oh man, poor Peggy. Can you imagine how deflating that would be to finally prove yourself in a buiness world that doesn't give women many positions of power....and then once again be subservient to your former asshole boss? It's not like there are that many jobs for Peggy where she would be in the same position of authority. She could find another job, but not one like the one she has. Oh, poor Peggy.

Loved Joan's rant at Don. Get them yourself.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote