Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 30 2013, 01:51 PM   #331
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Why the hell do you bring something like that when you're fleeing a dying world?

Unless it's a weapon or very very tasty or necessary for medical resources or religious practices?

Somebody frakk's those things, and it's a stupid game if you can't frakk it.

If that bugger was in Grand Theft Auto you could frakk it.
I asked something similar about the spider wolf pack in the pilot and even provided an ark explanation that humanity would include salt water crocs and fire ants after the environmentalist had their say. The game players then informed me that they were mutants evolved from the out of control terra forming. My question about mutant humans with super powers has gone unanswered. But now the daughter deputy seems to have a super power.

edit to add or nobody got my Joker versus Ace reference.

Last edited by Star Wolf; April 30 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 01:58 PM   #332
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They gave her LSD.

Of course she could see through time and space.

Tim Leary was RIGHT!

If her people have some sort of radio telepathy it's not magic, it's science... Like how some blokes with steel plates in their head or too many fillings can hear the radio, but if there's too much of the right sort of metal in them, then they're probably all broadcasting, but only a few of the gifted can receive without getting really high.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:18 PM   #333
Christopher
Writer

teacake wrote: View Post
Will it get a season 2? Will it finish season 1?
Season 1 has already completed production, and all episodes will be aired. Only broadcast-network shows run the risk of getting cancelled with episodes unaired; syndicated or cable shows are generally purchased by their broadcasters in full-season blocks, so you're almost always guaranteed to see an entire season (though there have been cases where an underperforming show has had the remainder of its season postponed or rescheduled to a more obscure time slot).

It's too early to know whether there will be a second season.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 03:30 PM   #334
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Info about hellbugs isn't exactly from the game itself. Rather, it came from a series of videos that was posted on youtube well before either game or show went live.

Enemy Intel: Hellbugs
Enemy Intel: Mutants
Old April 30 2013, 11:47 PM   #335
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So it's an expansion pack preview?

Old May 1 2013, 10:27 AM   #336
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I liked that a lot more than the second episode. The hell bugs were pretty cool and I liked how that guy in the brothel died. But that's what, three/four murders in three episodes? I hope Nolan and his deputies get something else to investigate soon.

Is the barmaid the only prostitute?

I like how...Dakar is it? told a lie to make his son appear more heroic, although now I think we really need two see why the two youngsters are so in love. At the moment there's nothing there to make me want to root for them.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 12:14 PM   #337
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Almost the final line in the sitcom the The Nieghbours when the girl human and the boy alien kissed after spending half a season RossandRacheling it...

Girl: "Oh my! You have two tongues!"

Boy: "You know it babe."

Old May 1 2013, 12:48 PM   #338
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
I liked how that guy in the brothel died

I like how...Dakar is it? told a lie to make his son appear more heroic, although now I think we really need two see why the two youngsters are so in love. At the moment there's nothing there to make me want to root for them.
But she knows and he knows that he was cowering behind her on the floor while she poked at the hellbug with a torch.

This is what is going to happen. They will get married and because of this humiliation and also because of being his father's son he will Castithan up as soon as the vows are sealed and turn into a complete dickhead. And she will be appalled and terrified and horrified and when she sees how his family is about to kill her father for his mine there will be a showdown (probably at the end of the season) and she will plunge that same flaming torch into his chest screaming something dramatic.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 01:16 PM   #339
Christopher
Writer

Dakar is it?
Datak Tarr.

Old May 1 2013, 02:01 PM   #340
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Backwards it's sounds like "Rat Catered" which would be a prime course of meat in this cursed future surely?

Old May 1 2013, 02:09 PM   #341
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

I noticed when Datak told that lie that Alek seemed uncomfortable with it. Christie didnt seem to mind though. I can easily see this causing problems since Alek's culture seems to insist on men being dominant yet he froze up when confronted by monsters whilst his love came to his defence. The thing is i dont see a any problem with how things played out. Some people will panic and freeze up when confronted by monsters whilst others will retain a level of calm allowing them to think more clearly and take more proactive action like finding a way to fight back or a successful way to escape. Gender has nothing to do with how a person reacts to a monster or a monstrous situation.

And i like how, except for his fight with luke in the pilot, Alek seems to be a sweet nice guy with a personality that comes accross as more pacifist than aggressive. So far Christie seems to accept and like this about him. Its possibly what drew her to him in the first place since most of the guys in town seem to fit more into the gruff macho tough guy image with the exception of Christies brother Quentin who is a soft spoken hard working nice guy.

Christie doesnt seem to mind that she had to defend Alek or that Datak lied to her father. If they do go the route of Alek feeling the need to reassert his masculinity by acting like a dominant Castithan male toward his sweet girlfriend then i hope that it lasts no more than an episode and comes to a halt after she slaps some sense into him. I actually really like Alek and Christie. They do seem a little young to be marrying but what worries me more is how accepting Datak and Stahma are of Christie as a daughter in law. Granted their hoping to get control of the mines through her but Given how snooty they are and obssessed with caste and such im surprised their not more worried about having a human as a daughter in law and hybrid grandkids. I'm seriously wondering if their plan to off the McCawleys extends to Christie since they dont seem to have filled Alek in on the plan or maybe Castithans have a much longer life span than humans or allow for polygamous marriages and they figure Alek can always make find a respectable castithan bride later. Maybe previous attempts to interbreed between castithan males and human females usually end up with death in childbirth and their figuring that will happen.
Old May 1 2013, 02:11 PM   #342
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Dakar is it?
Datak Tarr.
Thanks, I'm not so good with remembering character names.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 02:58 PM   #343
Christopher
Writer

Merlanthe wrote: View Post
The thing is i dont see a any problem with how things played out. Some people will panic and freeze up when confronted by monsters whilst others will retain a level of calm allowing them to think more clearly and take more proactive action like finding a way to fight back or a successful way to escape. Gender has nothing to do with how a person reacts to a monster or a monstrous situation.
This is based on your extensive personal experience with monster-fighting in real life?

Old May 1 2013, 03:27 PM   #344
stj
Rear Admiral

Merlanthe wrote: View Post
The thing is i dont see a any problem with how things played out. Some people will panic and freeze up when confronted by monsters whilst others will retain a level of calm allowing them to think more clearly and take more proactive action like finding a way to fight back or a successful way to escape. Gender has nothing to do with how a person reacts to a monster or a monstrous situation.
Given that "monstrous situation" also covers sudden attacks of all sorts, this is true. Indeed, most people, when confronted by a sudden, unprovoked verbal assault are taken aback, and do not respond effectively. Aggressive/psychopathic people rely on this widespread tendency.

That said, I don't think Alak wasn't even organized enough mentally to cower effectively. As I recall he more or less fell over when the girl reared back on him, then lay there in shock. Good cowering would have been trying to crawl backwards on his elbows I think. The scene may have just been executed badly by the director and actors though.

What almost invariably does make a difference is training and experience. In the girl's case, I think the dead older brother seems like the type to have given her some hand to hand combat time.
Old May 1 2013, 04:43 PM   #345
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

stj wrote: View Post
Given that "monstrous situation" also covers sudden attacks of all sorts, this is true. Indeed, most people, when confronted by a sudden, unprovoked verbal assault are taken aback, and do not respond effectively. Aggressive/psychopathic people rely on this widespread tendency.

That said, I don't think Alak wasn't even organized enough mentally to cower effectively. As I recall he more or less fell over when the girl reared back on him, then lay there in shock. Good cowering would have been trying to crawl backwards on his elbows I think. The scene may have just been executed badly by the director and actors though.

What almost invariably does make a difference is training and experience. In the girl's case, I think the dead older brother seems like the type to have given her some hand to hand combat time.
I noticed that Alak (have i been spelling that wrong?) did try to crawl backwards on his elbows but was too freaked out to be successful at it. He kept losing his balance and falling back down couple times partly cause he couldnt seem to tear his frightened gaze away from Christie and the monsters.

I get the distinct impression that Alak has been given a nice easy childhood by his parents with little responsibility given how Datak doesnt seem to have involved him in any of his shady cutthroat buissiness practices whereas the McCauley kids seem to have been put to work by their father helping with the mine or with running the household. I definitely agree that the dead older brother seemed the type to have given his sister some self defence training.