New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 30 2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Re: Scotty Profile Clip

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
I like the touch of using a communicator like a cell phone.
Wait, I thought the communicator was basically a space cell phone?
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 09:04 PM   #17
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Some size comparisons:

Here we see the bridge is on the bottom level of the dome structure, at the very front of the deck.

Here's how the bridge filled the entire dome on the much smaller refitted Enterprise seen in the classic movies.

Here's a shot from the "Under Construction" teaser from 2008, showing the two decks above the bridge.

Last edited by King Daniel Into Darkness; May 1 2013 at 02:18 PM.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 09:12 PM   #18
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's not the bridge.

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 09:38 PM   #19
Franklin
Rear Admiral

The look on Kirk's face when Scotty calls him, "James Tiberius Perfect Hair," is perfect. From all the clips, he seems to really have Kirk down even better than he did in the first movie. There are just enough hints of Shatner's Kirk dropped around (like in the Scotty clip in this thread and the Marcus clip in another thread) to make one grin and go, "Yep. That's the Kirk we've always known." Man, did they get lucky casting Pine.
Old May 1 2013, 05:27 AM   #20
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Now that I think about it some more, I'm beginning to lean toward the dome above the bridge. They've already established the bridge is three or so decks down. And the corridor behind Kirk probably isn't as long as it seems (wide-angle lens). It would fit in the short segment just under the dome, ending at the vertical slats / windows (seen for example here: http://www.ncc1701shipyard.com/image...es/burning.jpg )

So, I'm going with "above bridge" dome. Which makes the Enterprise about 350m long.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 07:18 AM   #21
ROBE
Commander

I always thought it was a stupid idea putting the bridge on top, why not the centre of the saucer?
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 12:37 PM   #22
EJD1984
Commander

Now that I think about it some more, I'm beginning to lean toward the dome above the bridge. They've already established the bridge is three or so decks down. And the corridor behind Kirk probably isn't as long as it seems (wide-angle lens). It would fit in the short segment just under the dome, ending at the vertical slats / windows (seen for example here: http://www.ncc1701shipyard.com/image...es/burning.jpg )

So, I'm going with "above bridge" dome. Which makes the Enterprise about 350m long.
Exactly what/where I'm thinking.
Old May 1 2013, 12:41 PM   #23
EJD1984
Commander

ROBE wrote: View Post
I always thought it was a stupid idea putting the bridge on top, why not the centre of the saucer?
That is typically where the emergency bridge is located on the Constitution Class ships.

I just really don't like the idea on the nuEnterprise of having the large window. A viewscreen makes much better sense.

Can't wait until a new Trek television series is made, and hopefully we'll get a much more logically designed ship.
Old May 1 2013, 01:12 PM   #24
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Why is a window less 'logical' than a screen? It never made much sense to me that the bridge was all the way up on the top of the saucer and didn't have some sort of window/viewport.

As for the size of the Enterprise, why the incessant need to try and scale it down? That huge bridge window pretty much seals the deal for the ~700m version, no matter what some off-kilter shot of an unidentified dome leads you to believe.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 02:16 PM   #25
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
Trekkies: Severaly censoring their eye/brain interactions since 2009.

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 1 2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: replaced missing quote tag
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 03:29 PM   #26
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The fact that the dome in the sequence seems to be a transparency, and we've seen birds eye views of the bridge dome showing that it's not only opaque but filled with machinary equivalent in size to that entire room Kirk is in and that the bridge is some ways underneath it. Try again.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 04:06 PM   #27
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Maybe Kirk's not on the Enterprise. Couldn't that be one of the domes in the space station/dockyard we saw in the last movie?
Old May 1 2013, 06:33 PM   #28
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Psion wrote: View Post
Maybe Kirk's not on the Enterprise. Couldn't that be one of the domes in the space station/dockyard we saw in the last movie?
The interior detail seems to be the same or close to the same as what we've already seen of (non-Engineering level) Enterprise corridors, etc.; notice also how the passageway visible behind Kirk seems to bend to the left, such as you'd expect to see in corridors nearer the edge of the saucer. I'm thinking maybe the dome aft, just above the impulse engines, seems a likely spot.
Attached Images
File Type: png corridor_bend_from_Scotty_clip.png (71.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg aft_dome_above_impulse.jpg (10.0 KB, 3 views)
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 07:18 PM   #29
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

King Daniel wrote: View Post
EJD1984 wrote: View Post
Trekkies: Severaly censoring their eye/brain interactions since 2009.
Let's cut this out now, please. I'm seeing this squabble cropping up in too many threads.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:00 PM   #30
EJD1984
Commander

Well, after finally seeing the movie, I can say with confidence that the Atrium does go down the center of the saucer, and that the dome at the top is the large one above the bridge.

Looks like that the the rear wall of the bridge butts up against the opening/shaft.

See Link/Picture below for reference.

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Click here for diagram. My idea of where everything is. The positioning of the shuttlebay, engineering, bridge and plaza is concrete although the sizes may be a little off. The turbine placement is based on the zoom-in when Kirk and Scotty transwarp-beam over in STXI, and the curved ceiling where they materialize. Communications (where Kirk found Uhura in STXI) is located behind the deflector dish, as per Chekov's dialogue in Into Darkness. I'm guessing the new warp core is next along from the shuttlebay and engineering. We see them launch a ship from shuttlebay 2 in Into Darkness.