MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 1 2013, 01:11 AM   #31
Jax
Admiral

Re: How Big is the Eye of Harmony? (spoilers Journey to the center TAR

However, if Gallifrey and all other TARDISes were destroyed, then the Doctor's would be the only one still connected to the Eye, so it might contain the whole thing now
I like this idea a lot, would also help explain why the eye of harmony now seems bigger than in the 96 tv movie if the entire thing is now there. Part of me also loves this idea that keeps popping into my head about the eye of harmony being used along with that "moment" thing RTD mentioned that brought the Time War to an end.
Old May 1 2013, 01:33 AM   #32
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Taking the Eye out of the timelock would have downpowered the Timelords... If they weren't already dead.

The Doctor was inside the timewar too still.

If there is only one eye, and the Doctor stole it from the time lord, then in the end f time would both eyes try to power up Gallifrey? Dangerously supercharging the planet?

Gallifrey and the TARDIS should have exploded.

RIFT ENERGY!

NO EYE!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; May 1 2013 at 02:16 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 01:45 AM   #33
Christopher
Writer

Jax wrote: View Post
I like this idea a lot, would also help explain why the eye of harmony now seems bigger than in the 96 tv movie if the entire thing is now there.
Except that we're talking about the TARDIS, so conventional ideas about the relative sizes of things shouldn't apply.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 01:52 AM   #34
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

In the novel The Ancestor Cell, the Doctor encounters a fleet of battle TARDISes whose exterior dimensions are equivalent to their interior ones, and they're the size of the moon.
Old May 1 2013, 02:20 AM   #35
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

In the novel the Crystal Bucephalus, they were flying on (as good as) a magic carpet over a vast city that is what the TARDIS looked like as viewed from a hole in the floor from the attic.

Although the TARDIS has infinite space inside itself, that does not mean that that infinite space is as yet filled up with infinite architecture because even at infinite speed that would still take infinite time.

Old May 1 2013, 02:35 AM   #36
diankra
Commodore

As the interior is apparently created/maintained by the TARDIS herself, it seems sensible that while its potentially infinite, to make it actually infinite would require an infinite amount of energy. And an infinite amount of energy to maintain.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 02:57 AM   #37
Christopher
Writer

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
In the novel The Ancestor Cell, the Doctor encounters a fleet of battle TARDISes whose exterior dimensions are equivalent to their interior ones, and they're the size of the moon.
Off-topic, I know, but it kinda bugged me when they started referring to other Gallifreyan spacetime craft as TARDISes, because Susan said in "An Unearthly Child" that she coined the name from the English initials of "Time And Relative Dimension In Space" (indeed, that very line was heard in "Journey to the Centre"). And presumably she didn't learn English until after she and the Doctor left Gallifrey and started visiting Earth. Plus, of course, originally it was treated as a "ship" whose given name was Tardis -- they would occasionally say things like "We need to get back to Tardis," and it was only later that it became standardized as "the TARDIS," with the word becoming a generic name for that type of vehicle rather than the name of a specific one.

Actually the show was inconsistent about it for a while -- we saw them referred to by Gallifreyans as "TT capsules" in a couple of stories, but there were other references to "TARDIS" as a generic name before then, like mentions of "the Master's TARDIS." And then there was "The War Games," where the War Chief supplied knockoff time machines called SIDRATs, TARDIS spelled backward.

Old May 1 2013, 03:03 AM   #38
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Theoretically the Eye of Harmony can produce infinite energy since the Timelords can simultaneously draw upon the same moment of time an infinite amount of times.

It's a paradox machine.

There's no limit to the number of times that they can recycle the same moment.

Old May 1 2013, 03:13 AM   #39
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Christopher wrote: View Post
Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Off-topic, I know, but it kinda bugged me when they started referring to other Gallifreyan spacetime craft as TARDISes, because Susan said in "An Unearthly Child" that she coined the name from the English initials of "Time And Relative Dimension In Space" (indeed, that very line was heard in "Journey to the Centre"). And presumably she didn't learn English until after she and the Doctor left Gallifrey and started visiting Earth. Plus, of course, originally it was treated as a "ship" whose given name was Tardis -- they would occasionally say things like "We need to get back to Tardis," and it was only later that it became standardized as "the TARDIS," with the word becoming a generic name for that type of vehicle rather than the name of a specific one.

Actually the show was inconsistent about it for a while -- we saw them referred to by Gallifreyans as "TT capsules" in a couple of stories, but there were other references to "TARDIS" as a generic name before then, like mentions of "the Master's TARDIS." And then there was "The War Games," where the War Chief supplied knockoff time machines called SIDRATs, TARDIS spelled backward.
Sure, it's inconsistent with Susan's line, but this is water under the bridge by this point. Maybe she independently came up with it or came up with the backronym. That's the best I can say.
Old May 1 2013, 03:14 AM   #40
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Off-topic, I know, but it kinda bugged me when they started referring to other Gallifreyan spacetime craft as TARDISes, because Susan said in "An Unearthly Child" that she coined the name from the English initials of "Time And Relative Dimension In Space" (indeed, that very line was heard in "Journey to the Centre"). And presumably she didn't learn English until after she and the Doctor left Gallifrey and started visiting Earth.
The Lama in the foothills out side the city taught the Doctor as a child how to play cricket.

On the planet of Death, The Doctor said that he was taught every language.

Oh?

The Master is obviously a succeeding regeneration of Susan.

Old May 1 2013, 02:01 PM   #41
Iamnotspock
Captain

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I don't like the new eye of harmony. I like the one from the 96 film. My explanation for that would probably have to be that the 96 version is just a fancy doorway to the sun version.
Trouble is, the plot of the '96 film hinged around the Eye being opened for the first time, thus sucking the world into it (at the stroke of midnight on NYE 1999 for some arbitrary and nonsensical reason), so it now being out in the open without such ill effects would seem to create a discrepancy.
Iamnotspock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 03:00 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

^But it wasn't out in the open; it was deep in the interior of the TARDIS. It was still confined and isolated from the outside world; the characters were just inside its confinement space.

Old May 1 2013, 03:26 PM   #43
diankra
Commodore

we saw them referred to by Gallifreyans as "TT capsules" in a couple of stories, but there were other references to "TARDIS" as a generic name before then, like mentions of "the Master's TARDIS." And then there was "The War Games," where the War Chief supplied knockoff time machines called SIDRATs, TARDIS spelled backward.
And to complicate it still further, the way Spandrell and Goth use the word in Deadly Assassin makes it sound as if TARDIS is a generally accepted term on Gallifrey, but only for the Type 40.
Old May 1 2013, 05:53 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

Come to think of it, though... we're able to understand what these characters are saying through the graces of the TARDIS's telepathic translation matrix, right? So maybe the TARDIS simply chose to translate the actual Gallifreyan term for a Type 40 capsule as "TARDIS" out of vanity.

Old May 2 2013, 12:03 AM   #45
diankra
Commodore

Come to think of it, though... we're able to understand what these characters are saying through the graces of the TARDIS's telepathic translation matrix, right? So maybe the TARDIS simply chose to translate the actual Gallifreyan term for a Type 40 capsule as "TARDIS" out of vanity.
Nice thought... IIRC, Spandrell responds to Engin's mention of a Type 40 by saying TARDIS with a wry affection, mentioning that he used one in the old days, and then Goth later says to Spandrell "We'd better have a look at this... what did you call it, TARDIS?"